advertisement

Christmas Wine II

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Marchbanks said "! Sadly I won’t be there" is this the end of an era?No more chevauchée? No more
hooning around France in search of a one euro sconto?
It’s Brexit basically, or more precisely the UK exit from the customs union - it’s not cost-effective to go over and only bring 36 (or 24 - still don’t really know) bottles back. And at present it’s even worse as you have to factor in the cost of two Covid tests before you are allowed to come back home again. So I’m restricting my visits until there is a need to stock up with my full allowance of Rochefort too, ie every four or five months. At the moment I’m looking at mid-December.

Last edited:
Here’s another one specifically for les poissons rosés français. Look what I found lurking between the M&Ms and the nasal hair removers in this week’s Lidl.fr flyer. Decent prices (under a tenner for l’Ancien!) and it looks like you can get free delivery from tomorrow. Ernest Burn at Auchan, Saint Cosme at Super U, JP Brun at Lidl. Whatever next? What a great country!

51415514194_d3edbca546_z.jpg

Last edited:
I've been studying that Lidl flyer, and it has quite a lot of good stuff at very fair prices. Having said that, I think you can get l'Ancien from M. Brun direct for the same money and from Vinatis for 11.90 (recently reduced from 13.90 for some bizarre reason...

PS: MB, I am 1000 km from your usual ports of call in Les Hauts de France, but I have space to store a few cases if needed.

MB, I am 1000 km from your usual ports of call in Les Hauts de France, but I have space to store a few cases if needed.
Thanks, that’s very kind, and one day you may regret that you said it! At the moment I have a willing friend in Aix who travels up to Lille regularly and deposits stuff for me with his mates there. There are signs his travels may end soon though. He’s already on red alert for the Super U Saint Cosme next month.

Yes, those two Lidl/Brun prices are good but not unbeatable - it’s the free delivery aspect that would make it worthwhile. However, I’ve now taken a look at the full list and seen the JP Brun Côte de Brouilly at what really does seem a bargain price. I might have to send emergency signals to Provence again...

https://www.lidl-vins.fr/cote-de-brouilly-terre-dorees-jean-paul-brun-5610136.html

Edit: signal sent and responded to. Six bottles of JP Brun Côte de Brouilly costing a mere £8.30 each have begun the journey to Marchbanks Towers. And some people need sports cars to make them grin.

Last edited:
A friend in France says his local wine shop has these at about that price. He seems more interested in the Moulin-a-Vent.
I wonder what the French are missing from the UK post-Brexit...

A friend in France says his local wine shop has these at about that price. He seems more interested in the Moulin-a-Vent.
If I were him I would grab them. The cheapest I see them generally (Calais Vins, for example) is more than 12€ - and delivered direct from JPB they are 14€. Brun’s ‘entry level’ Ronsay is generally at least 9€.

OA_vHjFPSpK1PFRCtRLFSA_pb_x600.png

Lama di Pietra from Puglia, this is a real bargain at about £10 a bottle, much better than any supermarket wine at that price that I've had. Day 1 it was really classy, refined wine, rather like an Italian version of Chocolate Block -- not a lot of character but very smooth and drinkable. Day two it had lost some of its refinedness, it had developed some more earthy tastes, still delicious.

To be honest I'd forgotten how cheap it was, I was pleased with it yesterday thinking I'd spent twice that amount. If someone gave it to me in one of my Italian favourites in London -- Fumo near the ENO for example -- for £15 a glass I'd wouldn't complain.

OA_vHjFPSpK1PFRCtRLFSA_pb_x600.png

Lama di Pietra from Puglia, this is a real bargain at about £10 a bottle, much better than any supermarket wine at that price that I've had. Day 1 it was really classy, refined wine, rather like an Italian version of Chocolate Block -- not a lot of character but very smooth and drinkable. Day two it had lost some of its refinedness, it had developed some more earthy tastes, still delicious.

nero di troia very good where from?

51422320743_8596c9673a_z.jpg

It looks like there will be another few alfresco nights yet, and tonight I’m not tempted to put gloves on unlike yesterday and Wednesday. Tonight a bottle of Big Luc Lapeyre’s lovely Minervois went with the home made pizza followed by cheddar and yarg. Excellent value for the 8€ it cost - I have only one 2015 left, but fortunately a box of 2019 is waiting in the wings. I have fond memories of meeting Luc many years ago - I think he is still the only vigneron I have met who extended my tasting into a second session by sharing his lunch.

Tonight this has been paired with Bill Frisell’s album of Lennon covers, All We Are Saying. Not my favourite King Bill album, but made with obvious love and respect - and tonight I was in the mood for something relatively unchallenging. Speaking of love and respect, I read a quote from Bill not long ago in which he said (paraphrasing) ‘I play We Shall Overcome quite often, and will continue to until there is no need anymore.’ How can you not want to give him a hug after that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back