advertisement

Christmas Wine II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Awesome dude!
Seems there was a most successful mulcting at the Towers last year ,managed
to extract every last pfennig from the serfs.
How about treating the plebs to a bake off
with Clos Triguedina.
I’m not sure I agree with, or approve of, your inferences here. However, I have only seen the word ‘mulct’ once before, when it was used by my beloved SJ Perelman. So respect, and I raise my trilby to you.

The bakeoff with Clos Triguedina is a fine idea, and it is only the problem of non-possession that makes it tricky.

Non-possession is always a bit of a bugger. I'm suffering a bit from non-possession of a case quantity 30 year vertical of La Tache, Domaine de la Romanee-Conti at the moment. I guess we all have our cross to bear.

I’m not sure I agree with, or approve of, your inferences here. However, I have only seen the word ‘mulct’ once before, when it was used by my beloved SJ Perelman. So respect, and I raise my trilby to you.

The bakeoff with Clos Triguedina is a fine idea, and it is only the problem of non-possession that makes it tricky.

If it's a question of money can't you get the
vicar to preach on the benefits of giving.
You'll take your usual cut.

Have switched to the 2011 Gigondas, L'Argnée, Vieilles Vignes La Famille Perrin. Very easy drinking, nice and smooth*. £23 a bottle when I bought it.

* I am crap at describing how wine tastes. The only thing I'm worse at is describing how hifi sounds.

I am crap at describing how wine tastes. The only thing I'm worse at is describing how hifi sounds.
It’s a doddle, Dr H. You mention fruit (stewed, black, red, green, berry, stone or crunchy are all good if you can’t be arsed to make up your own - combine any two or three for greater effect), tannins (a little tricky, both ‘soft’ and ‘hard’ can sound pejorative - perhaps better to suggest that it is going to age well in the latter case), acidity (‘balanced’ is good - if you really want to go for it think of something you can say it is balanced by - say minerality, herbaceousness, vegetality) and finish up by mentioning the backbone and/or structure. Sorted. Oh yes, and add a random number between 86 and 94 (or if that is too crass and Americanised, 16.5 will be fine.) I haven’t quite worked out why you need to do that bit yet, but it seems to be an important part of the advertising.

Last edited:
I'm just concerned that I'll get mixed up and describe a wine as having 'inky-black silence' and a hifi as having too much tannin.

Actually, the Pommard I mentioned the other day had more tannin than the Gigondas, so at least I picked up on one feature. The additional tannin had a great advantage; Mrs H disliked the taste, so I had most of the bottle to myself.

I came across it in PG Wodehouse: 'The Code of the Woosters', if memory serves, which it probably doesn't at my age.

It’s a doddle, Dr H. You mention fruit (stewed, black, red, green, berry, stone or crunchy are all good if you can’t be arsed to make up your own - combine any two or three for greater effect), tannins (a little tricky, both ‘soft’ and ‘hard’ can sound pejorative - perhaps better to suggest that it is going to age well in the latter case), acidity (‘balanced’ is good - if you really want to go for it think of something you can say it is balanced by - say minerality, herbaceousness, vegetality) and finish up by mentioning the backbone and/or structure. Sorted. Oh yes, and add a random number between 86 and 94 (or if that is too crass and Americanised, 16.5 will be fine.) I haven’t quite worked out why you need to do that bit yet, but it seems to be an important part of the advertising.

That is suspiciously accurate: are you are repressing your inner reviewer ? Perhaps you could channel Perelman into your descriptive prose ?
The main problem is working out the proclivities of an arbiter of taste: took me too long to work out I don't like what Robert Parker liked.
The sooner the lottery of buying en primeur dies out in the UK the better IMO. It seems to favour the producer and importer more than the consumer. It is hard enough to describe a wine you are drinking now let alone how one will taste in 5 years time.

Have switched to the 2011 Gigondas, L'Argnée, Vieilles Vignes La Famille Perrin. Very easy drinking, nice and smooth*. £23 a bottle when I bought it.

* I am crap at describing how wine tastes. The only thing I'm worse at is describing how hifi sounds.

You are good at choosing wine to buy though. I can't see a 2011 available but the 2013 is £50.

Non-possession is always a bit of a bugger. I'm suffering a bit from non-possession of a case quantity 30 year vertical of La Tache, Domaine de la Romanee-Conti at the moment. I guess we all have our cross to bear.
Wow, EV, that's class. You clearly don't possess far better wines than I don't possess. Comes from all your knowledge and experience, I guess.

You are good at choosing wine to buy though. I can't see a 2011 available but the 2013 is £50.
Fortunately I can spot a trendsetter when I read a post, so when Dr H mentioned this wine last year I quickly grabbed some 2016s at £34 before the Hutch Effect had a chance to take hold fully.

At the risk of causing concern to eternumviti by opening another bottle of 2016 Southern Rhône possibly before it is ready (see Coudoulet some months back) I’ve er... opened another bottle of 2016 Southern Rhône.

50807689633_65593a233f_z.jpg

...but compared to my disappointment with the Coudoulet, I was really taken with this. Whereas the Coudoulet seemed a little wishy-washy and meh, this really hit home. And although I don’t let these things influence my purchasing, I see it is 15%, which may be why I’m starting to doze off. I see I paid a total of £15 for this as an EP buy from the Wine Soc, and as it is now £20 chez Avery I reckon that puts me ahead. This was the first of a doz. Nice! Recommended.

(That was me. I’ll now try a template for @Joe Hutch .)

Huge mouthfuls of red and black stone fruit, plums and mulberries*. Tannins are still strong - there’s a long life in front of this yet although extremely enjoyable now. The subtle acidity is balanced by the explosive garrigue overtones - this is a really truthful expression of the terroir**. Full of backbone, a must have! 89.

Something like that should do the job.

*Mulberries are good, no-one has a clue what they are like but they can’t admit it as every other wine is said to taste like them.

**Me neither, but it reads well, doesn’t it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back