advertisement

Chord Hugo

naim dacs are now outdated with this new chip. had the naim dac a number of years and the hugo is far better in it presentation. the days of added over price power supplies are over...................... bet naim have dismantled the hugo
the hugo sits on the shelf . Battery powered means quiet perfect dc. the hugo is on a time clock that charges for 2 hours during the night . PERFECT .

IAM sure that some one will produce a better psu charger for the hugo. it is the poor part of thr hugo package

Rich - how would you rate the Hugo against some of the digital source you really liked?

through the quads the music as more depth the silence is black . to me its like the best SACD could produce but more dynamic. the NDX SOUNDS IN A DIFFERENT LEAGUE. the ndac and power supply have gone . the hugo is just has a dac fed into the preamp .high rez files via the ndac were alittle bright., they now sound great with no top treble . jazz sounds live. very clean and revealing great unit for 1400

sorry ndx with hugo is streest ahead of ndx with naim dac and added psu different league. quad 2805/supertweeters and stella stands from townsend

As much as I am interested in the sonic benefits of the Hugo there are other aspects of the unit which still need to be addressed
3 headphone sockets seems excessive
The mico usb connectors
The poor casework around the sockets. I always get the feeling Chord designers have little idea on aesthetics and usability. I guess its a matter of taste.
Its silver, i would prefer black
A full size unit might appeal to me more
Maybe the above will be addressed but for now I'm out

As much as I am interested in the sonic benefits of the Hugo there are other aspects of the unit which still need to be addressed
3 headphone sockets seems excessive
The mico usb connectors
The poor casework around the sockets. I always get the feeling Chord designers have little idea on aesthetics and usability. I guess its a matter of taste.
Its silver, i would prefer black
A full size unit might appeal to me more
Maybe the above will be addressed but for now I'm out

....doesn't sound like it's for you then.

Sounds like you want a Benchmark DAC2 HGC?

Peter

...thats the point i can't see how in its present form I could use it sensibly without it being a PITA no matter how good it sounds

Pity really

Mine arrived yesterday. First impressions are very positive.

I hooked it up to my lossless library on the iMac, used the BitPerfect software and piped it through the the Audeze LCD-X.

It's difficult to say how this set up could be improved, it sounds absolutely fantastic. I compared it to the Burson Soloist which is very good. The Burson had a slightly harder treble, and the bass wasn't quite as well defined. The Hugo has such a full range, articulate sound, and suits the Audeze very well. It's an expensive headphone system but good value compared to a stereo set up.

I really like the lighting codes for the Hugo, it's useful and it's kind of cheerful. The unit itself seems pretty robust although the cable and adapters all seem a little cheap.

If I could improve the Hugo, I'd probably have less ports and maybe be a little sharper on the detailing. Also, I prefer a normal volume control but understand the Hugo control works differently, it just doesn't feel as good as a normal headphone amp.

Still, highly recommended. I think it's a keeper.

...thats the point i can't see how in its present form I could use it sensibly without it being a PITA no matter how good it sounds

Pity really

Surely there must be something bigger, in black with less headphone sockets and different connectors?
I have a Benchmark HDR that sounds like the thing.

Mine arrived yesterday. First impressions are very positive.

I hooked it up to my lossless library on the iMac, used the BitPerfect software and piped it through the the Audeze LCD-X.

It's difficult to say how this set up could be improved, it sounds absolutely fantastic. I compared it to the Burson Soloist which is very good. The Burson had a slightly harder treble, and the bass wasn't quite as well defined. The Hugo has such a full range, articulate sound, and suits the Audeze very well. It's an expensive headphone system but good value compared to a stereo set up.

I really like the lighting codes for the Hugo, it's useful and it's kind of cheerful. The unit itself seems pretty robust although the cable and adapters all seem a little cheap.

If I could improve the Hugo, I'd probably have less ports and maybe be a little sharper on the detailing. Also, I prefer a normal volume control but understand the Hugo control works differently, it just doesn't feel as good as a normal headphone amp.

Still, highly recommended. I think it's a keeper.

What were you using as a dac with the Burson Soloist? It's just an amp isn't it?

its a great find, others must be shuddering that the performance is better than all contenders. why check the chip that is the heart of it,

Hifi World and Hifi Choice have now given the Hugo DAC top reviews. Can't be put down to one magazine now, 3's a crowd!

The only downside is volume control which seems to be a small knob as for portable use, so no remote control. Is that correct?

Maybe it's better to wait until they bring out the next Chordette Qute with similar updated FPGA?

advertisement

Back