advertisement

Chord Hugo

eelmaster

pfm Member
Anyone heard one of these...am tempted for office/travel use but it's quite pricy for that sort of use. Is it as good as the hype seems to suggest, or is it an iPod amp in a nice box??

Any thoughts appreciated!

I bought one and like it a lot. Can't compare it in my main system though.
It is quite dear, yes, but beautifully made and versatile.

Not quite as sexy as the best Sony MiniDisk players from yesteryears, but the solid small form factor is very nice.

It's hard to find fault with the Chord design and indeed their sound.

Peter

Peter[/QUOTE]

You are joking yes? Have you ever tried to adjust the volume, where the volume wheel refuses to rotate, even though you are pressing it as hard as you can! That'll be the slippery smooth plastic surface of the dial then. Or how about fitting a decent pair of RCA leads? No again, that'll be the recesses in the aluminium body that were made to small. What about the ridiculous different colourd lights for volume and source selection!! I'm not knocking the sound, but whoever signed off the design, deserves a right royal kicking!!

You are joking yes? Have you ever tried to adjust the volume, where the volume wheel refuses to rotate, even though you are pressing it as hard as you can! That'll be the slippery smooth plastic surface of the dial then. Or how about fitting a decent pair of RCA leads? No again, that'll be the recesses in the aluminium body that were made to small. What about the ridiculous different colourd lights for volume and source selection!! I'm not knocking the sound, but whoever signed off the design, deserves a right royal kicking!!

I've never been near the Hugo, so that's very sad to hear. My personal experience has always been very good with Chord.

Peter

Not quite as sexy as the best Sony MiniDisk players from yesteryears, but the solid small form factor is very nice.

Peter

I think that somehow it doesn't look the part… At least from the pictures it looks a bit cheap.

When looking it up, I wouldn't have figured out the price.

Peter

You are joking yes? Have you ever tried to adjust the volume, where the volume wheel refuses to rotate, even though you are pressing it as hard as you can! That'll be the slippery smooth plastic surface of the dial then. Or how about fitting a decent pair of RCA leads? No again, that'll be the recesses in the aluminium body that were made to small. What about the ridiculous different colourd lights for volume and source selection!! I'm not knocking the sound, but whoever signed off the design, deserves a right royal kicking!![/QUOTE]

The few design quirks are largely overshadowed by it's sound quality. I have no issues with the volume control and my rca to din cables fit. Once you learn about the colors it's very convenient.

Thanks all.

What sort of cables do fit?

Anyone any comments on whether it does feel a bit cheap, I did wonder from the pictures. Didn't look as well made as some of the other chord stuff I've seen.

I don't agree.

Mine is fine. The volume knob rotates the conventional direction, and mine rotates plenty freely enough. Pressing down on it hard probably increases the friction...
The colours are a bit of a gimmick, yes, but I quite like it.

It is very nicely made, maybe not so fancy a case of the 5x more expensive Chord stuff but fully competitive with or better than the like-priced competition.

I am only using mine as a DAC/Headphone amp at present. After seeing the wingeing I tried a few phono cables in mine. Most of the ones I tried to fit do so, though the clearance is clearly inadequate for monstrous foo.

If I am bored I may well rig mine up as a DAC/pre in my main system to hear what it can do, though I'd rather listen than dick around trying out kit as a rule.

F1eng, I'd be interested to hear what you think about it in the main system, should you find yourself with some time on your hands!

I don't agree.

Mine is fine. The volume knob rotates the conventional direction, and mine rotates plenty freely enough. Pressing down on it hard probably increases the friction...
The colours are a bit of a gimmick, yes, but I quite like it.

It is very nicely made, maybe not so fancy a case of the 5x more expensive Chord stuff but fully competitive with or better than the like-priced competition.

I am only using mine as a DAC/Headphone amp at present. After seeing the wingeing I tried a few phono cables in mine. Most of the ones I tried to fit do so, though the clearance is clearly inadequate for monstrous foo.

If I am bored I may well rig mine up as a DAC/pre in my main system to hear what it can do, though I'd rather listen than dick around trying out kit as a rule.

Glad you are enjoying yours, our experiences with different things in life will differ, after all. Not sure what you mean by "After seeing the wingeing....." and "I'd rather listen than dick around..."?

Enjoy.

Glad you are enjoying yours, our experiences with different things in life will differ, after all. Not sure what you mean by "After seeing the wingeing....." and "I'd rather listen than dick around..."?

Enjoy.

Seeing wingeing about certain cables not fitting on forums (maybe it was even you that provided a link) so I tried some of my cables, one didn't fit, but I was not concerned since I had some that did.

Almost every time I think I am going to dick around with kit to evaluate SQ I lose interest and listen to some music I like instead.

That is all.

To listen to mine in my main system needs either getting my 75kg each mono blocks out of storage or using a little class D amp since now I use Devialet the dac/pre/power are inextricably linked by their technology.

It was me who pointed out (not whinging) about my cables Rega and Linn Silver, neither particularly "monstrous foo" not fitting. Unfortunately, unlike you, I didn't have any others that fitted. There is no doubt that constitutes a major oversight with the design. I also couldn't get the volume dial to rotate, again poor design in my view.

However these are just my experiences, it is good you are enjoying yours, as I hope other owners are! I'm also sure that the unit sounds very good as a headphone amp/dac, which was what I had intended using it for.

However my experiences, are just that, and have no bearing on how good a product may (or not) be.

As an aside, how's the Devialet?

It was me who pointed out (not whinging) about my cables Rega and Linn Silver, neither particularly "monstrous foo" not fitting. Unfortunately, unlike you, I didn't have any others that fitted. There is no doubt that constitutes a major oversight with the design. I also couldn't get the volume dial to rotate, again poor design in my view.

However these are just my experiences, it is good you are enjoying yours, as I hope other owners are! I'm also sure that the unit sounds very good as a headphone amp/dac, which was what I had intended using it for.

However my experiences, are just that, and have no bearing on how good a product may (or not) be.

As an aside, how's the Devialet?
Hi, if you are selling, I'd be seriously interested.

Time have gone by since the launch of the Hugo dac and for the ones who have heard it, I would like to know if you think it is the best digital or analogue source "at any price" available at the moment.

I haven't heard every digital source, but as soon as I heard the Hugo in my main system my Bel Canto DAC 3.5 VBS (at twice the price) went on sale and my LP12 followed shortly after. I have never heard a DAC reproduce music the way that the Hugo does - it really is revolutionary.

advertisement

Back