advertisement

Chord Burndy

And yet a roomful of folks at the Chord demo last February at the Bristol show could quite clearly hear a difference with Chord's "power only" Nap 300 cables, compared to the stock Naim...and it weren't subtle.

Very true. The “power only” versions are fabulous on their own.

Dave,

Given the pretty hefty outlay, where in the Naim range would you consider making an investment in the Chord Burndy?

I’ve got a 52/250 (recently rebuilt) driving ATC 19s and am wondering the improvements the CB offer will be lost on my kit.

Aric

Dave,

Given the pretty hefty outlay, where in the Naim range would you consider making an investment in the Chord Burndy?

I’ve got a 52/250 (recently rebuilt) driving ATC 19s and am wondering the improvements the CB offer will be lost on my kit.

Aric

I think, as has been mentioned up thread, it is about getting things in proportion. Dropping six grand on a cable to be used on a similarly priced pre/power may not be the wisest way to spend that money for sonic gains. Yes it may sound better, but you may be able to get most of that gain with cables around £500‐ £1000, more in keeping with the amps price range.
For my part, I have not yet done a comparison on my CB amps, I currently use flashback in preference to the stock naim items, and I'm waiting for delivery of a set of WH morgana cables. I already have Phantom speaker cable, which was a total revelation compared to NACA5, so I'm expecting similar. In the context of my setup, the Chords would be pointless.

Dave,

Aric

My first experience of Chord Sarum was when I used a 52 and didn’t look back after that, the inclusion of a Chord Burndy on the 552 seems to have been even more significant. I do know that someone in the States has a very similar system as you (52/135s) and is delighted with his Chord Burndy.

I certainly don’t think the improvements will be lost - it’s a great set up - so I’d definitely recommend at least having a listen to see what you think.

I think, as has been mentioned up thread, it is about getting things in proportion. Dropping six grand on a cable to be used on a similarly priced pre/power may not be the wisest way to spend that money for sonic gains. Yes it may sound better, but you may be able to get most of that gain with cables around £500‐ £1000, more in keeping with the amps price range.
For my part, I have not yet done a comparison on my CB amps, I currently use flashback in preference to the stock naim items, and I'm waiting for delivery of a set of WH morgana cables. I already have Phantom speaker cable, which was a total revelation compared to NACA5, so I'm expecting similar. In the context of my setup, the Chords would be pointless.

My view is that the Snaic and Burndys supplied with Naim gear really hamper their performance. I was really happy with my 552 beforehand, but I’m completely delighted with it now. I’ve always wanted to get the best out of what I already have before moving on and I could have happily have stayed with my 52 if it had shown the same performance leap as this.

Yes, they aren’t cheap but I think the prices being quoted in this thread are way out.

Well can someone quote the actual cost of the 552 and 500 ones then please.
Thinking more about the power only ones, I guess with better shielding this could help?
Wasn't in the room when they got demoed, so can't comment, but I have been in many demo rooms, with other guys when things get swapped over etc, and told after said track, well this was different and that was better, etc, only for most to agree with it all, when I couldn't tell any difference, maybe it was and its me, or maybe folk like to just agree, as they don't want to look silly if they say they couldn't tell the difference.
But as said, I wasn't in the room, so can't say, but always willing to try for myself and see how it goes.

Cheers dave, £8.5 K sounds a bargin compared to the £11k lol.
Still its a big chunk off cash and it would need to make a nice improvement over the standard to make it value, as £8.5 k can also be spent on improving over the naim, as sometimes its better to get something thats just better, right from the start, than to try and make something better.
As spending £50k on a new 552, 500 and then these cables, certainly opens the door to some very serious gear, and if like me your 500dr and 552dr have cost you less than £20K, spending almost 50% off that on 3 cables, doesn't seem to be to be great value?

But as always, we all see things differently, but for me the morgana offers much better value, as long as it inpoves over the standard, like the rest off the morgana cables have, i feel this is better for me, it might not bring all off what the chord does, or it might be same or even better?, we dont know, but i do know we are only talking very small differences, as at these levels that is all you are ever going to get, night and day lol, certainly not, more like night and match.

Yes, it’s a fair chunk of cash but, like the DR was to the 500, these Burndys transform the 552/500 into a vastly superior combination. For me, they do offer vfm because I couldn’t get anywhere near this type and level of improvement elsewhere for the money.

But, if the Morganas are your definition of vfm and they’re anywhere near as good as the Chords, then I’m sure you’ll enjoy them. I should add that I did try the Burndys that Tony referred to earlier and didn’t get on with them at all, different sometimes doesn’t work out.

Maybe one day i will get to try some, but it would be nice to try the standard against the chord and morgana, just to see what each one brings

I had a 552 Chord Burndy on trial a week ago. First up there was an extension to the bass and increased slam. Over the days the rest of the music revealed itself. These days, I've runout of HiFi speak, but there was more detail whilst maintaining a coherent musicality. I felt I could reach out and touch the music. It's one of those upgrades that send you scurrying through your collection.

It had a similar impact to hearing Sarum speaker cable for the first time - the sound (and cost!) haunted me for three months until I caved in. This time I'm not going to muck about - it's a keeper, but Anne has said that's enough so I won't be demoing the 500 Burndies.

System: Chord Mscaler> DAVE> 552> 500> Fact12 tied together by Chord Sarum T (with a Music from the Chord EE8 to Naim ND5 XS2).

So, you’ve had the Chord Burndy for a few weeks now, is it still “a keeper”? Does it restore your faith in Naim’s Amos?

Not heard of these before - I’ve got 555, 552, 500 - and also consider the Burndys a weak link. Not the WEAKEST link - that’s got to be the SNAIC - anybody know if the Chord guys do those and has maybe tried one?

£9k for the Burdys though - that is a chunk of change

I just posted a thread on the Naim forum asking about these - was removed within 30 minutes.

Naim are hugely sensitive about them clearly - and consider the SNAIC and the Burndys part of the components, so won’t allow any conversation about the merits or otherwise on their own forum. They consider these to be “unauthorised modifications” of their products, which I kind of get, and that it puts them in a tricky position re: their own OFFICIAL forum.

Hi Matt, if your thread lasted 30 minutes that must be a record! Naim don’t tolerate any postings about alternative Burndys or Snaics “because they carry power”, yet bizarrely they do allow other manufacturers’ power cables to be discussed...

At the level you’re at, the Burndys, Snaic and DIN-XLRs are all weak links and it’s well worth having a listen to the alternatives, as you’re only touching on the performance capabilities of your 552/500. Naim do have an SL version (designed and made by Vertere) of the latter but, although they’re certainly better than the stock items, are some way behind Chord Sarum T, which are much cheaper, and light years behind Chord Music, which are similarly priced.

Chord do snaics (“snakes”) in a variety of types - I was introduced to them by my dealer, having had to eat my words after dismissing them as “they only carry power to the display”. I bought a Sarum version as a result and that’s now been upgraded to Sarum T - another nice option when buying Chord.

And then there are the Burndys... You don’t need to spend £9000, you can spend £9000, but, as Nick found, you can spend rather less than half that (still a lot of cash admittedly) by concentrating on the 552. Come what may, you do need to hear what they do.

I also got a telling off for mentioning different burndy cables.
Would love to try the chord 552 against my witchhat 552 burndy, just to see how they both compare to each other, plus try the 500 twin burndy cables

Hi Matt, if your thread lasted 30 minutes that must be a record! Naim don’t tolerate any postings about alternative Burndys or Snaics “because they carry power”, yet bizarrely they do allow other manufacturers’ power cables to be discussed...

At the level you’re at, the Burndys, Snaic and DIN-XLRs are all weak links and it’s well worth having a listen to the alternatives, as you’re only touching on the performance capabilities of your 552/500. Naim do have an SL version (designed and made by Vertere) of the latter but, although they’re certainly better than the stock items, are some way behind Chord Sarum T, which are much cheaper, and light years behind Chord Music, which are similarly priced.

Chord do snaics (“snakes”) in a variety of types - I was introduced to them by my dealer, having had to eat my words after dismissing them as “they only carry power to the display”. I bought a Sarum version as a result and that’s now been upgraded to Sarum T - another nice option when buying Chord.

And then there are the Burndys... You don’t need to spend £9000, you can spend £9000, but, as Nick found, you can spend rather less than half that (still a lot of cash admittedly) by concentrating on the 552. Come what may, you do need to hear what they do.

Thanks Dave - really appreciate the download, I’ve clearly missed a lot!

I’ve got the SuperLumina interconnect - and speaker cable - and have to say both of those made a huge difference, so that definitely go me thinking. I may do the 552-500 XLRs at some point (full loom as it’s called )

But I’m absolutely all over the idea that the Burndys and SNAIC are a limiting factor - I’ve been bemused for years why Naim themselves haven’t elevated them - and actually reading your post and knowing that they retain value on the second hand market, I’m up for trying alternatives to the SL. I suppose like a lot of Naimies I’ve just gone with “stock is best, synergies, designed together, greater than the sum of the parts” kind of thinking.

One of the challenges is my Naim dealer don’t do Chord to any great degree. So I could talk to Peter at Cymbiosis (he’s my LP12 man!) as I know he does - and Ive actually heard a Chord MUSIC cable on an LP12 there, which was nothing short of revelatory.

PS.. I think the only reason the thread survived 30
Minutes was I posted it at 7am! ...and yes - I do think it’s strange that other power cables are ok to be discussed, but obviously “hit the same rule” that Burndys and Snaics do! ...those guys!

advertisement

Back