advertisement

Chord Burndy

Yes, I was given the chance to try the first set and had them at home for several weeks. I really, really want some.

Hi Dave J

which Burndy was you using
According to Chord they have their equivalent of all Naim burndies

lyndon

priced from £1600 upwards.

i was in the demo of the NAP300 Burndies at the Bristol show.......very interesting.

The ones I tried were on my 500DR.

After using them over a decent length of time, going back to the stock items was awful. It took a while to re-adjust.

Very interesting. I have tried the Witchhat 17 cable next to the SXPS Naim one for my CDS3, and the WH was immediately better in every way. And for the price unbeatable. In fact, selling off the old SXPS cable about paid for the WH one.

I was using a custom 552 Burndy, which worked very well. I did try a Witchhat one, but it didn't seem to make much difference in my system so I returned it. Now my Naim system's gone, I guess I'll get round to selling the custom one.

I was using a custom 552 Burndy, which worked very well. I did try a Witchhat one, but it didn't seem to make much difference in my system so I returned it. Now my Naim system's gone, I guess I'll get round to selling the custom one.
What was the construction of your custom Burndy?

I can't say Ron. It's covered in a loose sleeve, the wires (silver plated IIRC) are loose within.
I have often wondered if a very well sorted Burndy (including proper shielding between the different hot voltages and the ground wires) would be the equivalent of the Dual-Burndy employed in the 555 et al. Certainly the power supplies don't go to great length to isolate the digital and analog voltages from each other, so maybe the major benefit was just due to spacing the 15V wires from the 22V ones?
I would also expect a 0.75m Burndy to sound better than the 1.2m one, if it can be accomodated.

Take a wee gander at the Luxman/ Accuphase / Yamaha thread, my post #24 Mike.

Done that, but things still in the air, I gather. I went to E.A.R. in stages from my 552 set-up, but it was the 912 pre. which was the revelation. I could change the powers but never the pre. Box count reduction was marvellous (yes, even the Superline/S'cap went; no need). I can honestly say, with my big ESLs, that there is /was no comparative base between the two pre's; chalk and cheese!

I have often wondered if a very well sorted Burndy (including proper shielding between the different hot voltages and the ground wires) would be the equivalent of the Dual-Burndy employed in the 555 et al. Certainly the power supplies don't go to great length to isolate the digital and analog voltages from each other, so maybe the major benefit was just due to spacing the 15V wires from the 22V ones?
I would also expect a 0.75m Burndy to sound better than the 1.2m one, if it can be accomodated.

The Chords were a revelation. I did try another’s prototype, which may have been the same as Tony’s, but it didn’t work for me at all. Very weird.

Done that, but things still in the air, I gather. I went to E.A.R. in stages from my 552 set-up, but it was the 912 pre. which was the revelation. I could change the powers but never the pre. Box count reduction was marvellous (yes, even the Superline/S'cap went; no need). I can honestly say, with my big ESLs, that there is /was no comparative base between the two pre's; chalk and cheese!
So, the EAR was rich and nuanced like a nice ripe brie, while the 552 was as stark and astringent as the white cliffs?

So, the EAR was rich and nuanced like a nice ripe brie, while the 552 was as stark and astringent as the white cliffs?

No, Ron; chalk and cheese. not cheese and chalk! No bluebirds either.:) If you know E.A.R. power amps , you'll know that 'lush' doesn't appear anywhere in the design. The valved equivalent to s/s has been bandied around. Took me 6 months of chopping and changing to finally jettison my 135s. The 912 pre. I added later simply had the life that the 552 didn't, plus 2 x very accomplished onboard ph/stages. Okay, there was synergy there, but I was really happy with the 552/E.A.R. combo with S'line etc. and Headline. Rarely listened to music on my 650s when I had the Headline but I certainly do now; that again was your brie and cliffs when I got a Myriad Z40 h/ph. amp. The speakers, cable and sources remained constant. Oh yes, those meters; not just pretty dials either; very useful.

A generation (25 years) of Naim building is enough for anybody. Upgrading for that minimal yet recognisable improvement leads to not being able to see the wood for the trees, as it were.

Even allowing for a "show demo scenario" (usual caveats apply), there was a noticeable difference between the stock Naim Burndies and the Chords

Live with them for a few weeks and you get how fundamental the improvement is.

I’ve always regarded the Burndy as the weak link, especially those carrying power and signal, for me the 552 & Snaxo
A few years ago I tried a WH with my 52, the cable killed all life out of the music so off it went
I’ve been using Chord cables for many years now, I started at a time when Naim were still saying NACA5 is the best they’ve heard

so I will be asking for prices

bur for now there’s a new bearing going round, so I’m thinking let’s get rid of my old Super Sarum tonearm cable and go all the way as this is the most important cable
So him into nearly £5k for that
Also I need to DR and service the last of the 500’s another £5k+

think I’ll do them first
Then the Chord Burndies

hopefully before the Etna needs replacing

and so it all goes on

Din-XLRs too... and Din-Din on the 552. Generally pretty poor. Sadly, owners of the (next to) top level Naim gear don’t know quite how good they can be.

advertisement

Back