advertisement

Chicken drumsticks on a Barbecue

Aethelist

pfm Member
We''ve had the same little cast iron barbecue for nigh on 30 years now. Bought it in France. It's brill. Just keeps on going.

Thing is. We just had a barbie tonight and the chicken drumsticks, bought from a local village butcher , decided to spew this weird purple , globular spunk out. Non stop. From all sides.

I've never seen anything like it. We didn't eat it because of it. Way too off putting.

I know there are some foodie types here. Any idea what that was, or might've been?

When a body is dead they don’t bleed, so no bruising. Someone beating up the chicken then killing them.

Eww. I'm more confused than ever now. This was some seriously gloopy blobs of purple gloop. Not pleasant. The odd bit of bloody stuff I can cope with but this stuff was Deep Purple (not the band)

Did you par-boil the chicken first? Always best as it removes most of the grease / oil from the skin so you don’t get the flames when bbq’ing. Might get rid of the purple gunk as well:)

I'm guessing this thread won't run too long but hey, thanks for the input folks.

Might be a while before we have another barbie. Will certainly be avoiding that butchers shop from now on though (it was an emergency buy - our usual place was sold out - cos they are the best)

Purple Blood? Never mind the fluids. Not good. Stringy meat too when taken apart to investigate wtf was wrong with it.

I'm guessing this thread won't run too long but hey, thanks for the input folks.

Might be a while before we have another barbie. Will certainly be avoiding that butchers shop from now on though (it was an emergency buy - our usual place was sold out - cos they are the best)

Purple Blood? Never mind the fluids. Not good. Stringy meat too when taken apart to investigate wtf was wrong with it.

Does this help?
https://www.chowhound.com/post/bloody-drumstick-cooking-liquid-50-mins-848057

Did you sniff it?

Probably fine, think of all the people who marinate thighs and would never see any juice.

This could be the first year ever that i haven't used the barbie, well done!

I thought I'd check this out as I'm always on the look out for new recipes but on second thoughts I might just have the salad.

I'd rather have chicken thighs myself; less bones and tastier meat. Never had purple glop emerge from them either!

I'd rather have thighs. Although the thighs we buy have one bone, as do the drumsticks.

You can of course get boneless thighs that have less flavour

You're worried about a poultry amount of purple puss? :) I think Seeker's link above nails the reason (marrow). Interesting, though.

Another reason I stopped eating dead animals :confused:

Gosh but you've got good gnashers, not to mention energy, to eat them live. :D

I'd rather have thighs. Although the thighs we buy have one bone, as do the drumsticks.

You can of course get boneless thighs that have less flavour

Drumsticks have two - the main bone, plus a nasty sharp stiletto-ish bone. Thighs have the one, plus, depending on the skill of butchering, sometimes part of the knuckle.

Still plenty of bodily fluids. Bear in mind that I see several thousand dead chickens a day.
Do you know what this growth is?
chicken.jpg

advertisement

Back