advertisement

Chick Corea RIP

I fairly recently picked up a late-70s Japanese reissue of Return To Forever and it is really excellent, I’d expect Light As A Feather (which I’m after too) to be just as good.
Currently spinning RTF on original ECM. A wonderful thing. Light As A Feather seems annoyingly hard to track down in the UK.

his mothership returns, reformation of the RTF live release - is very good, as I remember it. Al Di Meola on guitar iirc.

although not sure about the subsequent thing with Frank Gambale, of whom, I think it's fair to say, I'm not a fan.

Currently listening to the superb Chick Corea and Trondheim Jazz Orchestra - Live in Molde, released just a few years back.

R-1457065-1457217607-5809.jpeg.jpg

An interesting retrospective on TSF Jazz right now. I hadn’t realised how much he had done pre-Miles. I was never a huge fan of RTF, although I remember seeing them at Brum University around 1974. I don’t recall much except Stanley Clarke’s absurdly long fingers.

Have listened to a lot today, time to wrap up (for me at least) with what I think is one of the best music videos out there (sorry, I know I've tagged it up here at least a couple of times before) -

Miles et al at the Isle of Wight 1970:

Chick doesn't get that much face time, and looks hellishly serious compared with the others (except Miles of course!), but this is just sublime music.

RIP.

As an aside, Jack Barron was there aged 15 (lucky bugger!), and my thoughts and prayers are with him whilst watching...https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/isle-of-wight-festival-1970.245019/#post-4095287

Another sad loss to the music world. Irreplaceable - I have always enjoyed the strong percussive style in some of his playing and can see why there was such a prolonged performing and recording relationship with Gary Burton.

I recall RTF playing a live set on Old Grey Whistle Test and performing the Romantic Warrior. Really annoyed me that they faded it out during The Duel of The Tyrant and The Jester but seeing Chic, Stanley, Al and Lenny perform live was such an incredible treat. I think there are clips of this on YouTube.

Happy memories, many great albums to savour, heart breaking to know there won't be more to come. Thank You Chick.

Last edited:
RIP Chick, another jazz great gone to join all the others up there, they will make one heck of a band.
Saw Chick and his band at the Cheltenham Jazz Festival in 1999 and bought the Origin-change CD soon after. Apart from that sorry to say I only have Piano Improvisations Vol.1, Akoustic Band, and with Gary Burton In Concert Zurich 1979 all on vinyl. Plus a few others with Miles and Burton as a band member. Must add some more to my collection but where to start?

advertisement

Back