advertisement

Chick Corea RIP

Awful news. Heard it last night and was just deflated the whole evening. Heard him live about half a dozen times - never less than amazing, and usually stunningly good. Last time I saw him live, which is a couple of years ago now, he looked lean and fit for a man in his late seventies. Never thought he'd be taken so soon. I'll have to dig out my collection and have a bit of a Chick-fest this weekend in his honour. Might be an excuse for a bit of a buying spree, too. Fill in a few gaps.

RIP Chick, and thanks.

Last edited:
So many contributions to music I love, although only own a few records of his as a named leader. Where do you start? Return To Forever, of course. But then he was in the Miles band for 'In A Silent Way' with Herbie Hancock and Joe Zawinul... has there ever been such a record with THREE world leading keyboard players? And in the band for 'Bitches Brew'

Most recent listen was 'Chick Corea Plays' - a very high quality live recording of solo piano with lots of classical pieces on too

...sadly true, just found an announcement on his Facebook page:

It is with great sadness we announce that on February 9th, Chick Corea passed away at the age of 79, from a rare form of cancer which was only discovered very recently.

Throughout his life and career, Chick relished in the freedom and the fun to be had in creating something new, and in playing the games that artists do.

He was a beloved husband, father and grandfather, and a great mentor and friend to so many. Through his body of work and the decades he spent touring the world, he touched and inspired the lives of millions.

Though he would be the first to say that his music said more than words ever could, he nevertheless had this message for all those he knew and loved, and for all those who loved him:

“I want to thank all of those along my journey who have helped keep the music fires burning bright. It is my hope that those who have an inkling to play, write, perform or otherwise, do so. If not for yourself then for the rest of us. It’s not only that the world needs more artists, it’s also just a lot of fun.

“And to my amazing musician friends who have been like family to me as long as I’ve known you: It has been a blessing and an honor learning from and playing with all of you. My mission has always been to bring the joy of creating anywhere I could, and to have done so with all the artists that I admire so dearly—this has been the richness of my life.”

Chick’s family will of course appreciate their privacy during this difficult time of loss.

An amazing musician and a huge loss. RIP.
I can absolutely hear him saying that message, in his voice.

The only consolation I have right now is that at least he now knows what a dick L Ron Hubbard was.

Slightly frustrating that Romantic Warrior, the album, is not available on Qobuz. The title track is.

Not usual to have to dig out an LP during a working day.

yes, what a blinking shame.

left me feeling really quite sad. Funny how some passing aways do that (when you don't actually know the person).

saw him live just the once with the ECM 'trios' ... trio.

But have liked pretty much everything I've heard recordings wise. RIP Chick.

'Touchstone' is playing as I type. Paco de Lucia-also RIP - played on this- as did Chick Corea on (Paco's) Zyryab

I’ve got far too little of him as a front-man; Now He Sings, Return To Forever, Romantic Warrior & Rendezvous In New York. I’ve been intending to fill in some gaps, especially the early-70s fusion, for a while now.

I’ve struggled to find a decent vinyl issue of Light As A Feather for ages. Any pointers, folks? Or a decent CD issue will do.

I fairly recently picked up a late-70s Japanese reissue of Return To Forever and it is really excellent, I’d expect Light As A Feather (which I’m after too) to be just as good.

advertisement

Back