advertisement

Chic

JamesJamerson

pfm Member
Good to see Paul Lester from the Guardian pick Risque by Chic as his favourite album. I've always loved them and can just about remember seeing them at the Glasgow Apollo in 1978'ish. Here's a couple of my favourite moments. Anyone got any others ?

The whole post tap dancing fade to the end but especially the 5 note phrase from Edwards at 5'19

Spacer - the solo from Rogers at 3'00 then again the fade

Last edited by a moderator:
Great music and band. But how on earth could a first-rate producer like Nile Rodgers give his OK to such a bad sounding record like C'est chic, its unbelievable. Edwards' bass should groove like hell, it doesn't. The whole record sounds as if it was recorded through a curtain of thick wool.

Played C'est Chic last week. Thought it sounded terrific - the rhythm section from heaven.

Being a Spacer/King Of The World fan myself I listened to the whole of that Chic-produced Sheila & B. Devotion album, and sadly they're the only really ones worthy.

The Diana Ross album is interesting in that it was always said that the pure Chic version was much better than the one tinkered with by Ross's team for eventual release. Now hearing both, I'd say it's some and some.

Rogers and Edwards were a formidable team. I saw Chic and then the following night Sisters Sledge in Liverpool in '76(I think)-same band different girls.
Named my first son after Nile Rogers.
All extremely cool. :)

Five Chic albums can be had in a little box for £12 here. An offer I don't think I can refuse...

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Superb campy video for 'King of the World' (taken from someone's drunken Nan's VHS)

and clearer but less interesting studio VTR

[YOUTUBE]TIs3C-nSB3Q&feature[/YOUTUBE]

I love this song because:

a) Sheila obviously only understands about one word in three of what she is singing
b) She's a bit of a game old boiler
c) The hair
d) It is so close to French disco of the period (Desireless, Corynne Charby etc), and yet Chic manage to add that extra ingredient to up le quotient du fab
e) The guitar solo

but have always been puzzled as to how and why:

a) Essentially dull Euro mainstream disco diva Sheila ever forged a connection with Chic & vice versa
b) Even after all these years we've never seen pics of B. Devotion

palp

Eh?

B Devotion are pictured on the album cover of the Album Sheila & B Devotion - Singing in the Rain is it.

R-399960-1238612094.jpeg

If you want some French bland, try some of the Sheila (without any part of B Devotion) on her own, I known I have.

DS

Are those really B. Devotion? Well, I stand corrected (and now you mention it, they're on the video) I thought they were just some guys she'd picked up in a bar for big forehead romps.

Yes, vanilla Sheila is grim. I have, too. What's your position re: Corynne?

I would put my position as essentially undecided is it, as I have not had enough exposure to her ouvre yet.

Now that you have categorised her in the same territory as S&BD, I will explore more.

DS

OTD - Perry & Rhodan - The Beat Just Goes Straight On & On & On & On & On & On

Boulle de Flipper

and Pile ou Face

[YOUTUBE]-l70OKXjg98[/YOUTUBE]

are probably as far as you'd want to go on a first date with Corynne.

Hi,

Sheila B Devotion. That takes me back. I remember my older brother bringing back a copy of "singing in the rain" from a France back in 77.

I like this one.

I must hunt down a copy of King of the world.

Dean

Hi,

Chic are great. I remember many a happy time in the late 70s dancing to chic.

I like the stuff they did with Norma Jean Wright.

[YOUTUBE]PNjSUz_KV4E&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

Dean

Hi,

I love the Carly Simon song Why.

The video version (videos have come on a long way since then)

And the 12 mix

[YOUTUBE]OyXLUvB-QHA[/YOUTUBE]

Dean

This Coryne - I am feeling Vanessa Paradis here is it.

Good cheekbones and abundant hair do not always relate to the ability to carry a tune or involvement in interesting musics there. Can the French ever do Disco Pop?

DS

advertisement

Back