advertisement

Cheer Up! Jools Holland is back..

I thought they were great - had it up on the hifi and I thought it was thrilling.

Now BBC4 got a long programme on Robert Plant - very good

I quite liked ‘Dry Cleaning’, not sure about the image/presentation, rather mannered but wouldn’t stop enjoying them on CD.

Jill Scott was astonishing, I have a few of her records, incredible talent. A welcome reminder.

I really can not cope with that much autotune!

I didn't really understand the hyper-autotuned thing until I discovered that rappers like Travis Scott track their vocals with the autotune fed back into their cans - i.e. they're deliberately playing it almost like an instrument rather than using it to 'correct' the vocal.

Still not for me but it makes a bit more sense.

Being an old fogey, I’m of the opinion that some people try to justify autotune as a musical instrument, when the reality is that it’s a tool to cover up people’s inabilities.

Being an old fogey, I’m of the opinion that some people try to justify autotune as a musical instrument, when the reality is that it’s a tool to cover up people’s inabilities.

It seems to have become a distinct thing of its own, just as say guitar distortion did. Another tool in the ever-expanding box. I feel it is hopelessly over-used at present, but it fits perfectly with say Daft Punk etc. It is a effect that arrived long after I’d stopped fiddling around in studios so I never got to play with it. I’d love to throw some drum-loops etc through it. Back in the 90s I had access to a now legendary and absurdly collectable Roland VP-330 Vocoder, and that was a lovely and creative thing if you totally avoided the hackneyed ‘Mr Blue Sky’ crap and fed non-voice stuff through it (rhythms, samples, textures etc). No musical instrument is ‘bad’, the thing is to avoid cliches and fashion. I’m sure autotune is all over Aphex Twin, Squarepusher and countless other electronica pioneers, we just don’t recognise it as it’s not some crap singer singing through it!

Jill Scott was astonishing, I have a few of her records, incredible talent. A welcome reminder.
I never made the connection before but watching last night I thought Amy Winehouse's style was influenced by Jill Scott. Just IMO. The Mrs was watching and agreed anyway.

This show actually introduced me to some good new stuff. I’ve mentioned it on a similar thread to this one. Caravan Palace, Christine and the Queens, Royal Blood to name but 3...

I never watch it ‘live’ - always record it and fast forward thru the stuff I don’t like.

I never made the connection before but watching last night I thought Amy Winehouse's style was influenced by Jill Scott. Just IMO. The Mrs was watching and agreed anyway.
Not sure about that, see what you mean re that performance but Jill Scott albums are very different from Winehouse. Really liked Back to Black, never quite seen anyone like her in terms of persona versus quality of output.

One thing for sure, Jill Scott wouldn’t stand for the shit Winehouse had to put up with. I remember being in a pub with my dad, there was a turn on, quite a decent folk singer; I remember her saying what a shame it was about her death & ‘she had a lot of songs still to sing’. That has stuck in my mind to this day.

Only Billie Holiday and Nina Simone should be allowed to sing Strange Fruit.
I think the song actually blighted Billie’s career (among other things). It kind of became exploitative, Simone had the benefit of a few more years of societal enlightenment; probably damaged her less.

Nina Simone was a real political force, an amazing woman, so it fitted perfectly into her canon in a way it maybe didn’t with Billie Holiday. I love Billie Holiday’s version though.

advertisement

Back