advertisement

Cheer Up! Jools Holland is back..

Whilst I agree the show is getting a bit cliche’d I can say JH is a very decent bloke.
My brother, who is wheelchair bound due to cerebral palsy is a big JH fan & used to go to lots of his shows. He then missed them for a year or two. I took him to a gig & the guys doing the merchandise stall recognised him & said they hadn’t seen him as much as they used to. He said it was due to finances & being dependant on others for transport to the gigs. One of the team left & came back a bit later. He said he’d spoken to JH/management & from now on he +1 was on the guest list for any U.K. gig he wanted. Can’t say fairer than that!

Whilst I agree the show is getting a bit cliche’d I can say JH is a very decent bloke.
My brother, who is wheelchair bound due to cerebral palsy is a big JH fan & used to go to lots of his shows. He then missed them for a year or two. I took him to a gig & the guys doing the merchandise stall recognised him & said they hadn’t seen him as much as they used to. He said it was due to finances & being dependant on others for transport to the gigs. One of the team left & came back a bit later. He said he’d spoken to JH/management & from now on he +1 was on the guest list for any U.K. gig he wanted. Can’t say fairer than that!
Very decent :)

Nothing has touched the Tube since the early days of C4. That's when Jools (but maybe he was always a w*nker ;)) and Paula Yates were cutting edge until they were reigned in...
I loved the Tube at the time too. But I bought a cheap DVD of highlights a few years ago, and boy did it have a lot of filler. Not sure how many bands played live, and the interviews were generally lame. Muriel Gray was great though. Rose-tinted glasses case I think, oh and being 15 at the time probably helped.

He will probably spread it out.....

Graffiti on the tunnel betwixt railway station and my Uni, back in 1975-78 (I think it was there all the way through)....."Culture is like jam.. the less you have the more you have to spread" Further along "Clapton is God"

My cousins husband (a vicar these days) knew Paul Weller back in the day at school I think. No trivia to pass on.

Used to love Jools Holland. Not sure what it's like now but the old ones in late 90s early 2000s were great. I often revisit those old sessions on Youtube.

Jools Holland’s TV show to me is always like a musical ‘establishment’, very BBC - and not in a good way. Why he seems to exert a stranglehold on live music on TV is a mystery to me. Two kinds of guests seem to make it into the show, Jool’s mates and then whatever bands/artistes the record companies want to promote that week. It’s like a musical mafia.

YouView schedule says its Laura Mvula, who is rather more interesting from my perspective so I may have a look.
Strange that. Wellers facebook page says he will be playing live tonight. I will be watching anyway, also Eric Burdon documentary is on BBC 4 and Songwriters on Sky Arts.

He may well be playing (or footage), I don’t know, but Laura Mvula is billed as the ‘guest’, which I assume is to the recent lockdown curator format. Maybe she picked some Weller? YouView could be wrong too.

They may both be on, the more the better. Its a shame lockdown restricts the format of the programme.

Just checked the programme website. It is Laura Mvula as the guest, with performances from Weller and a band i`ve never heard of called `Dry Cleaning`.

advertisement

Back