advertisement

Cheeky b*****ds

tonysmith

pfm Member
I ordered REM's Accelerate on vinyl with the bonus CD for £17.99 through Amazon at the start of April and was told they had temporarily run out of stock and were re-ordering.:confused:
"Fine" I thought, no problem. I have had a few updatessince then to let me know the progress of my order and there is still no sign.
That is slightly annoying but not the end of the world. However, I was browsing a few other itmes on Amazon today and placed something in my basket when a red message flashed on the top of the screen telling me that REM's Accelerate is now £40.99 and the new price is shown in my basket. I have had no email notification of a change in price. :mad:
You don't have to be a genius to work out that I cancelled the order with them and bought it elsewhere. I'm just mightily cheesed off with them for a very shoddy service. Is it just me or have other pinkfishers suffered the same problems with Amazon?

BTW - I know it's had mixed reviews and I have had time to reflect on buying it but I actually like what I've heard of it.

Cheers

Tony

Just got off Amazon myself.

I was looking far a pair of cheapo,easy to drive headphones to use with my laptop. looked pretty much everywhere and was just about to buy off an e-bay trader when i remembered Amazon. Bought the headphones for a fiver cheaper than anywhere else plus free 'super saver' shipping.

Swings... roundabouts....

Hold on, isn't that illegal in the UK?

If you've ordered something, you pay the price agreed at the time of the order. At the point of purchase you've entered a contract with the seller, that contract can't be changed down the line, it's their problem that they didn't have the stock to sell you at the time, not yours.

Blimey, I paid £27 for Accelerate on vinyl and I thought that was a bit steep, although I'd say it was worth it, it's easily the best thing they've done in 10 years, and it's a nicely put together package.

On a related subject i am getting very p*ssed off with Amazon and their vinyl selection. In the last year i have ordered 4 new vinyl albums including the REM accelerate and each time they have not delivered the goods!! The best one was advertising Eraser by Thom Yorke at a specially reduced price then being unable to supply me. I have contacted amazon on numerous occasions about advertising goods they cannot supply and i have not received an adequate reply. I would take my business elsewhere if i didn't have so many gift certificates to use up. Hav others had the same experience?

paul

Lovejoy

I wondered about the legality of the hike too but decided to cancel the purchase before shelling out more than double the original price advertised. I queried the price rise with a lawyer and she said amazon were entitled to change the price because they were sourcing the item and not supplying it. I decided not to get involved in a heavy semantics debate with her and took her advice to just cancel and buy the goods elsewhere.

Madscientist

The REM album is not the first time amazon have disappointed me. They spent more than a year chasing Stop the Clocks by Oasis and eventually admitted defeat. I managed to find it with another supplier within five minutes of their message. They have also sent me CDs instead of vinyl when the order clearly states vinyl. But I have to say my experience with amazon has generally been quite good. Their prices seem to be about the same or only one or two pounds above other places but they have the benefit of offering free postage if you spend more than £25. If you buy a few slabs of vinyl in one hit that becomes a worthwhile saving. But they seem to have the odd blind spot and don't have the tenacity to chase up stuff they cannot immediately lay their hands on. Mind you, they must deal in millions of transactions per week so I guess it would be unrealistic to expect perfect service every time.

cheers

Tony

I'm getting similar service from HMV online at the moment. I pre-ordered Beck's 'Modern guilt' about a week before its release and since then I've had the same weekly Email saying 'It's out of stock but it's a priority order and we're doing our best to get hold of it'. I wonder if they have actually seen any stock of it at all, or has there just been a huge demand for it? Hmmm.

I think I'll stick to physical shops in future.

I'm getting similar service from HMV online at the moment. I pre-ordered Beck's 'Modern guilt' about a week before its release and since then I've had the same weekly Email saying 'It's out of stock but it's a priority order and we're doing our best to get hold of it'.

Me too - though at the same time, HMV are now showing 1st Sept as the release date for it.

Amazon are a right mess. I tried to order a Microsoft reference book from them. It eventually was to be through a Amazon retailer but the order stated the book was sourced from the UK.

So I ordered and two weeks went by and nothing. I emailed the retailer and was told it takes that long for a book to come from the USA. I stated that had I known I wouldnt have ordered. They argued otherwise. A few more weeks and nothing arrived so I kicked up a stink and got my money back.

If you completed the order then it shouldn't be in your basket. Did you add it to your basket again once you'd placed the order? They do warn you about changes in price of stuff in yuor basket (which you have not yet ordered, and so a change in price is fair enough). I'd log in and look at the completed order and check the pricing there.

I have ordered some vinyl via the marketplace and always got what I ordered. However I must admit that there is a couple of new albums, Amazon price is £15.99 but a seller is offering for £5.36 'New' .... I haven't ordered as I was worried it would be the CD not record.

Price changes like this are a bit naughty but not illegal as the contract is made at the point when they say "you can have item X for Y pounds" and you say "OK" and the money actually changes hands.

You are in the position where you've asked them to order an item and they have said "we can get that for £10" only to ring you when it comes in and say "actually the price is £20".

I have ordered some vinyl via the marketplace and always got what I ordered. However I must admit that there is a couple of new albums, Amazon price is £15.99 but a seller is offering for £5.36 'New' .... I haven't ordered as I was worried it would be the CD not record.

Worth sending the seller an e-mail to check the format and to confirm that it is new and unplayed.

If the seller is 'Caiman USA' or something similar, I expect it is legit. They are just a hell of a lot cheaper than most UK sources, even when sending from the USA.

I would recommend Caiman going on my experience. Shipping can take a while (depending upon which version of Caiman you use), but I have never had any problems - I lie, I did receive the wrong cd once, but they told me to keep it and they would send the right one out. Given that the wrong cd was Sean Paul, I haven't managed to shift it on to anyone, as yet...

It is Caiman, but I got this reply when I asked if they could confirm that it was vinyl....

"Dear Customer,

Unfortunately we do not have access to product details or pricing. Please contact Amazon for further information.

Sincerely,"

I replied again to say it was them I wished to by from via the marketplace, and I got identical reply about contacting Amazon. <roll eyes> ... so I have not ordered. :(

It is Caiman, but I got this reply when I asked if they could confirm that it was vinyl....

"Dear Customer,

Unfortunately we do not have access to product details or pricing. Please contact Amazon for further information.

Sincerely,"

I replied again to say it was them I wished to by from via the marketplace, and I got identical reply about contacting Amazon. <roll eyes> ... so I have not ordered. :(

Hi Sam

Caiman communications are not the best unfortunately

I would say however that if it is listed specifically as vinyl, from experience buying from them it will be vinyl. Somehow they keep new vinyl prices a lot lower than many!

Kevin

Okay - I am giving it a shot.

I was just concerned as it is the Duffy Rockferry album which is £13.99 on HMV (was £12.99 but I procrastinated), £15.99 on Amazon ...... yet this seller is offering new at £5.36 - so even with postage, £6.60 which seems more CD price than vinyl. But in my basket and the description clearly says "Vinyl" so fingers crossed.

advertisement

Back