advertisement

ChatGPT, the latest conversational chatbot from OpenAI

we are working on it.

The easiest and quickest mitigation is timed assessments using laptops on a closed network - with invigilation.

That doesn't really work very well if you are operating a module with ~1800 students on it.

Asking the AIs the exam questions and vetting student’s answers against?

The Snapchat bot is apparently powered by ChatGPT so it's 2023 technology - the point they are making is showing an example of the irresponsible way that big companies will roll out untried and potentially unsafe tech to the public, in this case children, in order to have a business 'advantage' or simply because 'they can'. Children potentially talking to an AI powered friend available 24/7, who in this example will give 'advice' on how a 13 yr old girl could have sex with a 31 year old male, is absolutely a serious issue, isn't it?
I don't think it's a new AI issue. The conversation they showed was reflecting the human back, which is very effective. Whether SnapChat should be doing this is worth asking, but again, it's not really an AI thing, SnapChat (et al) are a problem regardless. Or not if they make people happy.

Have you used GPT-4? Not sure if it's officially passed the Turing test or whether that is still a benchmark, but it's easy to see how it will potentially spell the end of a huge amount of jobs if not regulated.
No, I've only played with earlier stuff and the new Bing.

I'm sure neither GPT 3 nor 4 can pass a Turing test, which is still an appropriate way to determine if something or one is intelligent. IMO.The reason I'm sure is that humans have dived straight in to making the machines look ridiculous, exploring their bounds and generally being intelligent around them.

I predict that AI will be a buzz for a while and then we will have another plateau. These LLMs are incredibly expensive to train and then operate, after the wow factor they will need to earn their keep.

I'm presently trying to educate myself about the state of the debate regarding whether intelligence is computable.

advertisement

Back