advertisement

Charleston church shooting

Guns may have specifically enabled this crime, but I think it is a huge jump to go from US gun law to murderous racism. IOW 'gun control' is an easy political football, but head-banging in that direction avoids considering why somebody would want to commit mass murder.

This deflection doesn't happen when a Muslim blows him or herself up, which seems to me to be a similar individual journey from innocence to random murder. We start looking into radicalisation.

Paul

In the UK it was decided to remove legal access to weapons of mass murder which in many ways prevents those who have a mind to commit mass murder the means to do it.

It is not simply a matter of access to guns and ammunition. There is still a lot of hostility towards black people in some states.

Whether Mr Roof had a connection to any of the 16 white supremacist organisations that operate in South Carolina is not clear. BBC

The number of households owning guns is declining, but the households who do own guns are owning larger and larger stockpiles of weapons.

This video is pretty funny (and filmed in Boston, my part of America).

Very cool video, thanks :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Guns may have specifically enabled this crime, but I think it is a huge jump to go from US gun law to murderous racism.

How many racially inspired mass killings have there been in the UK recently ? In Australia ? In any country with strict gun control ?

This is either because racial tensions don't exist in other countries, or because strict gun control makes these types of crime much harder to commit.

I'll let you all decide which is more likely.

I wonder how his father feels, having bought his son the gun which a) murdered 9 people and b) is likely to mean his son's life is, to all intents and purposes, over. I'm presuming the sort of dad who buys his son a gun, is the sort of dad who supports the aims of the NRA.

At the moment it is not about tin pot explanations about why this happened, the main thing to get to grips with is what has actually happened. To understand how people can deal with such an atrocity. I don't think I could forgive if it happened to people I know and love. Yet

Relatives of some of the nine churchgoers shot dead in South Carolina have addressed the suspected gunman in court and said they forgive him.

Dylann Roof, 21, appeared in court in Charleston to face nine murder charges.

He showed no emotion as relatives of the victims addressed him directly. "I forgive you" said one victim's daughter, fighting back tears.

That is the real big story, how can people possibly forgive this terrible crime that has taken away their loved ones?

How many racially inspired mass killings have there been in the UK recently ? In Australia ? In any country with strict gun control ?

This is either because racial tensions don't exist in other countries, or because strict gun control makes these types of crime much harder to commit.

There are plenty of guns available in UK if you really want to get them.
The drug gangs in major cities are generally well supplied with weapons.

Watch the video. Nutcases like the perp. of this crime generally have a much harder time obtaining a gun on the black market than in the US where they might get it at Walmart.

Gun control works as evidenced by the statistics from every country that has done it.

Well there were the tube bombings in the UK. Then https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cumbria_shootings And in Australia not so long ago http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-30485355 Just from memory.

Guns optional, regardless of the superficial availability, or lack thereof.

Err.

And Timothy McVeigh of course didn't use a gun.

The death toll from too many guns in the US is mostly amongst criminals in a continuous background toll . So it doesn't attract much attention or political action.

Paul

That is the real big story, how can people possibly forgive this terrible crime that has taken away their loved ones?
Because God sent the murderer to test them. And the victims are in a better place.

More seriously hate doesn't achieve anything. As evidenced by this crime.

Paul

There are about 10,000 gun homicides per year in the US. That's 3 September 11 attacks every year.

How about in England ?

The Oklahoma bombing killed 170 and injured about 500. Guns kill (in homicides alone) about 10,000 a year.

In the UK the gov't are trying to brand "extremists" and "Conspiracy theorists" the same as "Terrorists", Cameron has openly stated this, with five private prisons to throw people into, and trials in secret to get them there, this is more terrifying than guns in the UK.
In America, less guns=less shootings unless you are a nutter who thinks it's safer to arm anyone you think should be armed, FFS they wanted teachers to be armed after a school shooting, what next?, arm the pupils to protect them against renegade teachers?.

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/jun/19/nra-mass-shootings-south-carolina-church

At the moment it is not about tin pot explanations about why this happened, the main thing to get to grips with is what has actually happened. To understand how people can deal with such an atrocity. I don't think I could forgive if it happened to people I know and love. Yet

I suppose these people are serious, earnest Christians, and it is part of their faith that one must forgive. Like the deviant rabbi Jesus on the cross: "Forgive them for they know not what they do."

But you can't walk into your local store & pick up a gun & ammo here,

Making the decision to actually carry through meeting up with this kind of gun gang to purchase a gun illegally is enough to put most 21 year old guys off, you have the opportunity to hand over the money & get your head blown off, I doubt this particular individual would have had the guts to do this in this country.

There are about 10,000 gun homicides per year in the US. That's 3 September 11 attacks every year.

How about in England ?

The Oklahoma bombing killed 170 and injured about 500. Guns kill (in homicides alone) about 10,000 a year.

That's insane. They should have banned guns years ago.

What a crazy place!

advertisement

Back