advertisement

Changing house name.

Tony Lockhart

Avoiding Stress, at Every Opportunity
A few properties around us have a similar name to ours, and since moving here in October a few parcels have been incorrectly delivered.

It's getting a little annoying, so we are considering changing the name our place to something completely different.

Has anyone here gone through the process? We don't have a house number, only the name. I've looked into it on t'interweb and it all looks straightforward enough, but as ever I suppose a local busy body could make it unnecessarily difficult.

Cheers

You will have to contact the Post Office. A certain Mick P gave advice on this topic a few years ago on here or on the N Forum.

If Mick is in the UK it might be worth PM ing him for advice.

I like it!

Something Completely Different
Acorn Street
SomeTown
UK

Really, change the name to Something Completely Different... :)

and its the council you need, not the post office.

666 - the number of The Beast
668 - the number of The Beast's next door neighbor

We live on a long street which runs through different towns, and each time it reaches a new town, the street numbers start again from 1. This means that our exact house number/street occurs 3 times within a mile or so, but with different town names. Since we live in Brighton&Hove, there's a Brighton one, and a Hove one, and even the postman has to guess with some deliveries.

I always find it amusing where we pass stately home sized monstrosities which have unassuming names like 'rose cottage' and have a detached garage larger than our house ;-)

and its the council you need, not the post office.

I'd tell both. When I worked as a temporay Chritmas postie in my student days, the sorters used to mark up the sorting racks with changes to house names and numbers etc. notified by householders.

We live on a long street which runs through different towns, and each time it reaches a new town, the street numbers start again from 1. This means that our exact house number/street occurs 3 times within a mile or so, but with different town names. Since we live in Brighton&Hove, there's a Brighton one, and a Hove one, and even the postman has to guess with some deliveries.

I always find it amusing where we pass stately home sized monstrosities which have unassuming names like 'rose cottage' and have a detached garage larger than our house ;-)

Detached garage, but not really big enough to live in. Hmmmm.....

We live on a long street which runs through different towns, and each time it reaches a new town, the street numbers start again from 1. This means that our exact house number/street occurs 3 times within a mile or so, but with different town names. Since we live in Brighton & Hove, .......

Wouldn't be the A259 by any chance? Possibly Southwick the third town (if it's big enough)? A much travelled but very slow road if so.

You will have to contact the Post Office. A certain Mick P gave advice on this topic a few years ago on here or on the N Forum.

If Mick is in the UK it might be worth PM ing him for advice.

Of course, if Mick isn't in the U.K. a pm might not work on an international forum.:rolleyes:

Wouldn't be the A259 by any chance? Possibly Southwick the third town (if it's big enough)? A much travelled but very slow road if so.

Close, the A270, or Old Shoreham Road.

Actually, looking at it on google maps, it's actually not as bad as I thought. The other one to us is 400 yards away, but the next one along is Portslade, and that's 3 miles away. I now have less respect for the delivery drivers who shrug when I point out they are in the wrong place ;-)

Last month our piano mover turned up at the Brighton version, so we had a very confusing phone conversation as they were saying 'but we're ringing the bell and noone is in'. Turning a large removals van around in a narrow busy road wasn't fun for them.

"Last month our piano mover turned up at the Brighton version"

Not something I'll ever have to say!

When was that?

An embarrassingly long time ago - 1968-70 if you must know :)

I expect your Council will need to know but I wouldn't rely on them passing on the info to the Post Office. Have you had a word with your postman? He/she will know how things work in practice rather than theory.

I have read all about the procedure, but I just need to know if it's as straight forward as it seems. Once we start things moving, I'll chat with the postie.

We are close to choosing a new name, and no, it won't include Naim, Apaches, 911s, mountain biking, beer, Tornado jets, curry, chillies.....

advertisement

Back