advertisement

Central heating controls

These are excellent, they're cut down versions of Honeywell CM927.

I've been installing both versions since about 2006 and have had maybe 5 fail out of well over 100.

I've one in my own house (mentioned in a previous post).
Yep, I’m pleased with it, does exactly what I want. I didn’t even realise I’d actually left the heating on all through the summer until it kicked on briefly a couple of days ago.

the only way to save money/fuel with a central heating system is for the boiler to be off and that is what a room thermostat is trying to do.

you also have to insulate the house so that the heating is off.

leaving a heating system on 24 hours a day only works efficiently with a condensing boiler and really good insulation or with an air source heat pump or a ground source heat pump however regarding the condensing boiler for it to condense all of the time it’s on the boiler thermostat has to be set to 54 degrees c which is the dew point of natural gas however for most people that means that you will only be raising the ambient air temp in the house by about one degree with the surface temperatures of the rads cool and for most people that set up isn’t acceptable cause they associate warm temperatures like 70 degrees with their holidays and as a result want to cut about their house in the winter like they do in the middle of a Spanish summer.

I grew up in a large old fashioned farmhouse with three rooms that could have served as living rooms [two unused], and eight bedrooms all roughly 18 foot square [of which five were unused], as well as various halls and passages, and three kitchens [one unused and one serving as back pantry to the kitchen we did use].

As you may imagine this house was completely impossible to heat. We did not try. Only the front room was kept warm after teatime in the winter. We learned to dress not so differently from being outside.

It is a lesson that I have carried through all my life since. In the coldest weather I am quite happy to watch a video in my front room nowadays wearing a hat and coat!

Hence I have very small heating costs.

Best wishes from George

As a child my Dad worked a similar system as we had no central heating.
Around November each year he'd close up the large sitting room, and we'd all put on our winter woolies and move into the much smaller dining room which had a small gas fire.

I'm blowed if I'll do anything like that in this day and age, but maybe the temperature tolerance lives with me as we keep the house at 19 degrees, which our visitors seem to think is cold.
I find it amusing that the government occasionally issues the advice 'to save money reduce your heating to 21 degrees'

It's the Honeywell CM927 we have. Works nicely but it means people can all too easily put the temp up to 25oC (yes, totally tropical). I would reluctantly go wireless but only so that I can remotely turn it down when they do that. Oh for a house at 19oC......

Our house appears to originally have had thermal air central heating but almost every house in the estate is now gas, only my Brexit voting neighbour (connection?) still uses hot air.

Oh, and he still has the forced air heating too.

(Did I get Brexit into a central heating thread? You'd better believe it! :rolleyes:)

If anyone is using an old bimetallic roomstat ie a honeywell t6330 then I would replace it with a honeywell dt90 digital stat as it switches on and off within 0.5 degrees as opposed to 2.0 degrees for the old type. Instant saving and only about £30 ish.

If anyone is using an old bimetallic roomstat ie a honeywell t6330 then I would replace it with a honeywell dt90 digital stat as it switches on and off within 0.5 degrees as opposed to 2.0 degrees for the old type. Instant saving and only about £30 ish.
But another possible problem is that the wiring to my hall thermostat is the simple 2 wire type which I've been told precludes the use of anything fancy. Looks like the DT90E might work though.

DT90e thermostat installed here (by me, multimeter in hand) on an 'old' Honeywell system dating from 1988. Works to expectations and integrates with the 2-wire system 100%, just needs to 'call' for heat and the rest of the system responds.

If you have a correctly sized system a proper weather compensation system is better than the old fashioned programmer and room stat idea. First hand experience in my own property, house always warm, radiators run at low temperatures unless really cold outside meaning boiler running at maximum efficiency and the bills very reasonable.

advertisement

Back