advertisement

Celestion Ditton 22s Are they meant to sound so bright?

As Serge said in an old post above don't swap round any internal wires from the crossover!. They're supposed to be "out of phase" like that (not actually out of phase as such but look like they are). All you can really do is change the electrolytic caps and run them in a bit but don't expect them to sound anywhere near as good as KEF Reference 103.2's!!

Are you sure all drivers are working? “Away from the wall” is probably the killer here though, as with most speakers before stands became popular in the 1980s they would have been designed to be used on the floor next to a back wall or on a bookshelf. They are just not voiced for free-space.

Thanks Gents. I will put them near the wall, though current set up in sitting room doesn't allow that so will need to get my 8000a back out and set it up elsewhere.

I haven't taken it apart - it's beyond me really. I was referring to the speaker cable!

Tony, I am sure they're all working but far from convinced that they're doing so correctly.

It's a shame, as they look really nice, but I appreciate that they're older than me and I can sound rough at times. :)

It certainly makes me appreciate the KEF's even more (which I adore anyway).

They definitely need the rear wall loading. I’d check the driver seals too; an infinite baffle design needs to be fairly (not completely) air-tight and if foam gaskets have turned to dust you may have an issue with leaks. Also allow them to wake up - old speakers that haven’t been used in an age can sound awful from cold but after a week or two once they have acclimatised themselves to the room temperature and humidity, and tired crossover capacitors have at least partially reformed through use they should sound a lot better. I’d certainly stick them against a good rear wall and play the radio through them for a day or two before doing anything any more drastic. It may not fix them, but I guarantee it will improve them somewhat.

Thanks.

Moving them onto a carpeted floor near to a wall has made a big difference. However, having checked them over a bit more closely, the tweeters are not working! Doh!

Is there way I can easily test if it’s the teeeter that’s not working or if it’s just not getting a signal from inside?

No, this thread was started in 2008 (not by me!) - I merely hijacked it yesterday after doing a search!

Are they reknowned for being fragile? Easy to source a replacement?

Yep. Fracture in the exposed lead out wires on the front is common as well as damage from over driving. All sorts of after market tweeters available but I doubt you'll find a set of HF1000's these days. I sold a pair of Morel tweeters (MDT32 IIRC) to a guy looking for replacements for his Ditton 15XR's and he said they worked well, for what it's worth.

I had a pair of these and they were pretty good.
I reckon you would do well to get the crossover checked out - make sure all units are OK
8" Bass - 4" Mid and 1" HF 2000 tweeter
Generally a good, 'monitor like' balance.. but slight 'forward' colouration from the mid speaker - not a horrible colouration though...
just forward in the upper mid/presence.
I thought they were 8 ohms - but quite efficient - so loud, without a lot of power.
The tweeter was very clear - in a bright system they could sound over bright I guess

advertisement

Back