advertisement

Celef LS8 confusion

Update.
The ones offered on eBay were LS8as, not LS8s.
I was tempted by the price, but
I don't know the difference between the two models.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
LS8:-

celef%20ls8_zpsxcquxsck.jpg.html

LS8A:-

celef%20speaker_zpsfskexptl.jpg.html

I'm not sure where these fit in with the current Tablette 10 (which I have on order) Seems a bit OTT to have two very similar models, even if one is sold under a different brand and made to order.

Do you find your 10s difficult to drive, Jodet?

'Flash' seemed to think the LS8 were a difficult load.

I'm not sure where these fit in with the current Tablette 10 (which I have on order) Seems a bit OTT to have two very similar models, even if one is sold under a different brand and made to order.

I wonder how different the '8 and the '8a sound.
Both said to be similar to an LS3/5a.

...seems ok to me if these are R+D on the Tab10..

I may be in the position to buy a pair of the LS8s, but I'm still intrigued by the differences between the '8 & the '8a.
In this case it must be almost impossible to listen, unless Stewart Tyler is prepared to give a demonstration.
Perhaps he wouldn't, as like Harbeth whose speakers can sell on reputation alone.

I might as well bump this as I may be parting with my Celef LS8’s in the near future. I wrote the Wam post referenced above.
I’ve never heard the Tablette 10 but it surely can’t be a coincidence that a couple of years after perfecting (in his opinion) the LS3/5a in the form of the LS8, the Tablette 10 became ProAc’s first unported Tablette…

The LS8 used up final stocks of the pretty special mid-bass unit used in the 1SC. The tweeter is the fabulous Scanspeak D2905, justifiably regarded as their best by a good number of folk.
The Tablette 10 follows the same design principles but uses currently available drivers.

Allegedly only 30 pairs of LS8 were made, but I suspect the final number may be slightly higher. I think I paid close to £1500 for my first pair (now on my second), and Stewart told me that that did little more than cover the cost of the components. If he’d badged them as ProAc he would have had to price them at over twice that for dealer and distributor margins and they were basically a limited run labour of love thing. He assembled them himself and even put them in the cardboard boxes himself…

I might as well bump this as I may be parting with my Celef LS8’s in the near future. I wrote the Wam post referenced above.
I’ve never heard the Tablette 10 but it surely can’t be a coincidence that a couple of years after perfecting (in his opinion) the LS3/5a in the form of the LS8, the Tablette 10 became ProAc’s first unported Tablette…

The LS8 used up final stocks of the pretty special mid-bass unit used in the 1SC. The tweeter is the fabulous Scanspeak D2905, justifiably regarded as their best by a good number of folk.
The Tablette 10 follows the same design principles but uses currently available drivers.

Allegedly only 30 pairs of LS8 were made, but I suspect the final number may be slightly higher. I think I paid close to £1500 for my first pair (now on my second), and Stewart told me that that did little more than cover the cost of the components. If he’d badged them as ProAc he would have had to price them at over twice that for dealer and distributor margins and they were basically a limited run labour of love thing. He assembled them himself and even put them in the cardboard boxes himself…

I bought my pair of Celef Monitors in 1975 for £135. I still have them and they still sound great. Retired them last year for a pair of Harbeth’s. I also have another pair of Celef Monitors that belong to my son in storage.
Thanks for sharing the thread, Stewart was a great guy and a real loss to the audio industry..

I did well then, he sold me mine at £900(!) when they were doing them in small batches on Ebay.

I had the chance to buy a mint pair but I was afraid that they were too bass light for my taste... those looking little things :)

I bought my pair of Celef Monitors in 1975 for £135. I still have them and they still sound great. Retired them last year for a pair of Harbeth’s. I also have another pair of Celef Monitors that belong to my son in storage.
Thanks for sharing the thread, Stewart was a great guy and a real loss to the audio industry..
A great loss indeed. Daughter Zoe carries the torch.
Very different (pre-ProAc) Celef of course!

advertisement

Back