advertisement

CD Transport....any good?

Agreed. I used to own Meridian 508 cdp as transport into Audio Note dac. Comparing Meridian with Audio Note transport, difference is night and day in Meridian favour. I believe mint unit can be found for a good price today.

Sorry as I don't have experience with Teac.
Each to their own I guess, I used a 508.24 both as a player and then transport. Although it was very well made I was never particularly impressed and ended up using it as a transport with a DAX. From memory it was very pernickety with discs. A cheap used Pioneer stable platter was much better. Sound wise never heard a difference until I got a CEC, but even then it's definitely not "night and day".

I've got a TEAC VRDS10SE which I use a a transport into a Debafrips Terminator. It's superb. It makes a big positive difference to the sound. I'd probably never sell it. I've had it 10+ years.

Thanks Simon.

I've found the Kodak even before finding the Audiolab. I'll continue to keep an eye out. What's the difference between the CDM 9PRO and CDM 9? The latter seems to be the one in the Kodak.

The pro has a brushless dc motor spinning the disk. Just swap the laser over, all good.

I'd tou can't find an audiolab cdm give me a shout, I have two.

FWIW, I had a Teac P-500 dedicated cd transport that I used with a meridian 203 DAC. When it stopped working, I hooked up the DAC to my DVD player. It sounded exactly the same.

As it should. My like for an old cdm pro based unit is purely historical whimsy, it sounds exactly the same as my imac into the dac.

Good point....very good reviews for sure.

Have you noticed any scratches from the loading mech? Does keeping the CD and mech dust-free prevent scratches (I'd expect so...)? Is it possible to clean the mech?
I’ve been enjoying a cdt 6000 for a couple of years and have had no issues whatsoever with it scratching discs.

I've had a bit of a curve ball thrown my way.
I put an ad locally to find out the availability of the VRDS and CDM PRO. Nothing on the PRO, a couple of maybes' on the VRDS. Then I get a message with this being available,
Audio-gd CD7SE. I had never heard of it until now. There is some info out there, all of which is good.
Anyone had any experience?

Like any transport all that matters is that it outputs a clean signal and has the connections you need. Things like durability, service, spare parts availability are secondary concerns.

Like any transport all that matters is that it outputs a clean signal and has the connections you need. Things like durability, service, spare parts availability are secondary concerns.
Simon, do you find the AES output into your Gustard better in some way than SPDIF? I wondering if the 8000 is better due to this vs the 6000.

FWIW, I had a Teac P-500 dedicated cd transport that I used with a meridian 203 DAC. When it stopped working, I hooked up the DAC to my DVD player. It sounded exactly the same.

I’m in the cynical camp too. I’ve the much hyped Audiolab CDT6000. It’s slot mech feels cheap and gets itself in a bit of bother occasionally. I bought it as I like playing with different DACs/PSUs. It’s £400 new so good value but I couldn’t say it humbled my old Avondaled Arcam5 +.

Clive I can't hear any difference between the spdif/ aes into the Gustard, same goes for the usb and i2s. I assume that's the dac input filtering doing it's job, proper isolation on the usb from xmos, traffo filters on the spdif etc

I have a VRDS, it’s just a Sony with a fancy 12 cm clamp. Nothing really special, but it was well advertised :) and sounds fine – if you think a CD transport has a sound (does it?).

Clive I can't hear any difference between the spdif/ aes into the Gustard, same goes for the usb and i2s. I assume that's the dac input filtering doing it's job, proper isolation on the usb from xmos, traffo filters on the spdif etc
Thanks Simon, that’s good to know, likely my A22 will be the same. I’m interested in AES for two reasons:
1) it’s a bit more elegant being balanced but really this is unlikely to do much
2) my spdif input is already in use by my phono stage (yes it’s digital…) so AES and optical are my options

I’ve tried i2s and SP/DIF, USB, and optical with my VRDS transport and everything sounds the same to me.

Certainly the Cambridge CXC is a tad warmer than the Audiolab, not night and day or anything but they're not all exactly the same.

advertisement

Back