advertisement

CD Transport....any good?

scubaboy

pfm Member
Does anyone have experience with a Teac VRDS 10se?
I'm thinking of giving it a whirl mainly for it's Transport capabilities. I believe it uses dual Dac7's but I'll probably hook it up to an external DAC.
I've been using a modified CA CD4 for a number of years as a transport, just wondering if the Teac would better it?

We'll, that you may ask. I was hoping as many others that Lakewest would figure here, but sadly not to be.
Currently (and for quite some time) it's been the Mdac which John arranged to be shipped to me when I was living in Greece.
It's still functioning fine. However, I have been looking at Black ice Audio( formerly Jolida in North America) simply because I have a Jolida 801a valve amp sprinkled with fairy dust from Bill at Response Audio NY. This thing made me move from solid state and never to return(I guess my ears like a muddied sound :) Anywho, it's clear I like the sound of valves. Not interested in ridiculously priced foo. Always purchased bang for the buck, except Pink Triangle which I still remember to this day, god I loved that stuff but it wore me down in the end.

I used to have one of those.
It was fine, but transports all much the same, so not notably good or bad.

So, and not for the first time , seller has decided to go for local sale even though I committed first.(doesn't want the hassle of packaging) I become increasingly irritated by listings that are not specific in their description. Not in blighty, this is down under grrrr.

Anyway, is this something that should still be considered moving forward?
Any other offerings from the nineties at around 350 to 400 of your English pounds ?

I like the Teac VRDS players, good mechs, solid build. Not sure what the current spares situation would be, though. Sorry you missed out on that one.

Audiolab cdm, philips cdm pro 9 mech, aes and spdif out. Often sold cheap cos the bulbs fail, easy fix.

I have a 1989 model doing sterling duty.

@Sue Pertwee-Tyr
Not too sure either for the spares, maybe I've been saved a world of pain. It was in as new condition though, looked beautiful with the champagne facia. Not meant to be.

@sq225917
Is that the 8000cdm? Were there two versions? Are there still parts available for the mech/laser if the worst happens?

@Sue Pertwee-Tyr
Not too sure either for the spares, maybe I've been saved a world of pain. It was in as new condition though, looked beautiful with the champagne facia. Not meant to be.

@sq225917
Is that the 8000cdm? Were there two versions? Are there still parts available for the mech/laser if the worst happens?

TEAC VRDS:
You can buy brand new KSS-151a laser mechs from China these days. They're not original production but I've fitted a few and they seem to be fine. They're about £200. I can supply superior quality tray loading belts. The gears in the tray loading mech are common failure but there are a few people making aftermarket replacements (pricey though).

Audiolab 8000cdm
The CDM-9 in the Audiolab is no longer available but it is possible to pick up reasonably priced donor players (e.g. Kodak PCD) and I suggest you do that a.s.a.p. Pretty much everything else on it will be repairable.

No one mentioned the Audiolab 6000CDT? Too cheap? The results arent! Transformative...
Good point....very good reviews for sure.

Have you noticed any scratches from the loading mech? Does keeping the CD and mech dust-free prevent scratches (I'd expect so...)? Is it possible to clean the mech?

Good point....very good reviews for sure.

Have you noticed any scratches from the loading mech? Does keeping the CD and mech dust-free prevent scratches (I'd expect so...)? Is it possible to clean the mech?
No... don't know and don't know. But it does play scratched cds very well, due I believe to multiple passes and buffering.

No... don't know and don't know. But it does play scratched cds very well, due I believe to multiple passes and buffering.
Yes, it's a smart way of reading and consuming the data. I suspect the people complaining about the 6000 scratching CDs simply aren't careful and the CDs are dusty to begin with, possibly they've left a CD on a table, not in its jewel case.

They are not all the same..

Agreed. I used to own Meridian 508 cdp as transport into Audio Note dac. Comparing Meridian with Audio Note transport, difference is night and day in Meridian favour. I believe mint unit can be found for a good price today.

Sorry as I don't have experience with Teac.

advertisement

Back