advertisement

CD ripper

peelaaa

pfm Member
Hi all.

I want to rip all of my CD collection for use on streaming devices. At the moment I'm using Google play music casting onto chromecast audio.

Years ago I used EAC. Is that still the one to use?

Regards
Ian

EAC is free, but the developer asks for a donation. If you buy the dBpoweramp suite including Perfecttunes you get a utility that will perform an AccurateRip check post ripping on files already in the library. It will tell you if you have "broken files". It also will find missing artwork.

Another for dbpoweramp, the accurate rip CDC matching is excellent!

Try to get a high speed external CD/DVD if you're ripping a lot, the bigger the better...

I had over 5000 cds to rip , I bought 3 external CD rom readers and set them up to run 3 concurrent instances of dbpoweramp and gave my daughter 10p for every cd she ripped after teaching her to use it

I had over 5000 cds to rip , I bought 3 external CD rom readers and set them up to run 3 concurrent instances of dbpoweramp and gave my daughter 10p for every cd she ripped after teaching her to use it

Nice idea, may consider that with my boy if I feel the need to re-import my music at some point.

dbpoweramp pro has a batch ripper so if you have a pc with multiple cd/dvd drives and enough ram it's definitely worthwhile ripping concurrently, I managed 4-5 concurrent rips so cut down on ripping time dramatically.

Another vote for DBPoweramp. Highly recommended. Superb piece of software for small change, and a helpful forum as well.

I find the inclusive (full version) Music Converter & Batch Converter invaluable for changing file formats for iTunes & iPhones etc. Only the other evening I completely repopulated my iTunes library with Apple Lossless ALAC to save space over AIFF, all converted from my Flac CD rips & HD downloads. I just pointed it in the right direction and left it running overnight - all done by next morning.

Short answer for the hardware you have: yet another vote for dBpoweramp.

Long answer: I used an inexpensive VortexBox to automatically rip, tag, and store the bulk of my collection in FLAC. It will optionally also rip to MP3 at the same time. I just slid each disc in and let it the box work while I continued to use my PC for other tasks. I used MusicBrainz Picard to edit tags on the few that were inaccurate. I then used dBpoweramp on the very few the VortexBox failed to rip, mostly recordings by local artists purchased at their performances, and then copied those to the VortexBox over the network.

I then placed the VortexBox in my server closet, attached it to the LAN and backup power, and am using one of the included apps to serve up the files and streaming services to all computers and streamers around the house.

dbpoweramp pro has a batch ripper so if you have a pc with multiple cd/dvd drives and enough ram it's definitely worthwhile ripping concurrently, I managed 4-5 concurrent rips so cut down on ripping time dramatically.

The other option to speed up the process is to use one of these (with dbPoweramp Batch Ripper) - http://www.acronova.com/product/aut...ublisher-ripper-nimbie-usb-nb21/9/review.html
Whether it is worth it or not for you depends on how many discs you have. It worked for me and I have now ripped around 8000 cds, 1000 DVDs and 200+ blu ray discs....which I think as a cost worked out at about 8p per disc but a massive time saving...

advertisement

Back