advertisement

cd player suggestions

JOHN VAN BAVEL

pfm Member
I do volunteer work at a radio station that plays classical music 24/7 . We are planning on replacing our cd machines soon [ 6 of them ] We need replacements that are reliable , are programmable and have an AES port . Any suggestions ?

That's probably not going to be lawful for commercial/broadcast activity.
Can't see why, that's exactly what most commercial broadcasters do. Very little of what goes out is actually "live".

I doubt there are many new "professional" cd players out there these days but you could easily enough hook up any decent transport to a modern DAC with an AES output to give realtime play options if that's what's required.

Can't see why, that's exactly what most commercial broadcasters do. Very little of what goes out is actually "live".
It isn't lawful in the UK to do that regardless of purpose. I'm sure commercially they'd have to be paying.

If it's a commercial station they will be paying. Royalties used to be per play but that may have changed.

You certainly won't find many CD players or turntables in a modern broadcast studio. Digital Audio Workstation and mixing console possibly.

All our cd library at the radio station has of course been ripped to computer and in the main those files are used for broadcasting . However many of us presenters like to bring in our own music for broadcast and that necessitates the cd players . That tends to happen as a kind of last minute thing hence cannot be quickly ripped onto computer .

The project CD box DS2T has AES/EBU as an output , but whether it's programmable enough for broadcast use is unclear.

A Tascam CD6010 would almost certainly do what you need, but at a price.

Why not just use a PC with a pro audio sound card? You can play directly from the DVDRW drive and there's bound to be a software player with sufficient functionality for your needs. You might even just be able to plug a DVDRW drive into the existing DAW and play via that.

That's probably not going to be lawful for commercial/broadcast activity.
I don't know why it wouldn't be. Indeed, I'd be very surprised if the vast majority if not all professional stations don't use some kind of computer based content management system. PRS royalties vary according to the category of station, eg BBC Radio will pay per minute, smaller stations are done on a sample. How the music is delivered has no bearing.

How the music is delivered has no bearing.
It's called format shifting and it's a breach of copyright in the UK even if you retain the CD. You are supposed to purchase a digital file. A radio station would have to pay and I'm sure they do. From the original question is wasn't clear what the scale of operation was or where it is based..

If ifs a Radio station or other business such as a clothes shop they should pay imo. The music is there to entice you through the doors.

I forget now where I read this, but unlike before when is was lawful to copy your LP's etc. to a tape cassette or recordable CD for your own use, now you are not lawfully allowed to do this.

It's called format shifting and it's a breach of copyright in the UK even if you retain the CD. You are supposed to purchase a digital file.
You have already purchased the digital file. The CD is merely a storage medium and the label "format shifting" is meaningless.

This may well be copyright law in the UK... but if so, it is a silly law and it is no surprise that it is widely ignored. What is surprising is that those responsible for drafting it were no doubt handsomely paid for doing so.

You have already purchased the digital file. The CD is merely a storage medium and the label "format shifting" is meaningless.

This may well be copyright law in the UK... but if so, it is a silly law and it is no surprise that it is widely ignored. What is surprising is that those responsible for drafting it were no doubt handsomely paid for doing so.

Regardless of your view, with which I agree, the law is still the law. Ignore at your own peril.

"It's unclear how the change will be enforced".

It won't be. Laws which are unenforceable (quite apart from having no basis in logic) should not be in place.
Of course not but we aren't talking about private use in this thread just to be clear. There could be an issue with taking personal CDs into a radio station for broadcast and then it might not be so benign if it isn't being handled correctly. Just saying! Let's move on...

To be clear, I am absolutely in favour of broadcasters being required by law to pay rights holders when their recordings (in whatever format) are broadcast. For rights holders to claim that they are subject to "harm" if they don't get to sell individuals the same digital file twice is another matter.

Anyway, enough :)

advertisement

Back