advertisement

CD Player recommendations £2,500 max.

The problem you have is that if you don't try the Saturn-R you might end up with a player that's better than the Apollo but not the Saturn-R, and you'll never know.

I have a Saturn-R which I run through a Rega DAC and I preferred it to a Naim CDX/XPS. It also made mincemeat out of a Naim CD5XS, another well regarded CD player. I'm not saying you can't beat it, the CDX is more dynamic and detailed for instance, and I'm sure Rega are not the only company in the world who can build a good CD player. But the Saturn-R is good so to dismiss it simply because you think the grass might be greener seems like a mistake.

The Saturn-R does one thing which no other CD player I have owned has done. It gets music out of every CD you put in it. None sound too harsh or badly produced to listen to, all sound like music. That's a very rare trick for digital and not one I'd be too quick to ignore.

The problem you have is that if you don't try the Saturn-R you might end up with a player that's better than the Apollo but not the Saturn-R, and you'll never know.

I have a Saturn-R which I run through a Rega DAC and I preferred it to a Naim CDX/XPS. It also made mincemeat out of a Naim CD5XS, another well regarded CD player. I'm not saying you can't beat it, the CDX is more dynamic and detailed for instance, and I'm sure Rega are not the only company in the world who can build a good CD player. But the Saturn-R is good so to dismiss it simply because you think the grass might be greener seems like a mistake.

The Saturn-R does one thing which no other CD player I have owned has done. It gets music out of every CD you put in it. None sound too harsh or badly produced to listen to, all sound like music. That's a very rare trick for digital and not one I'd be too quick to ignore.
Thanks for the reply. I wouldn`t write off the Saturn R, in fact it was the first one that came to mind. The CD player i choose, is hopefully going to be with me for a very long time. So i don`t mind spending the extra for `the one`. Thanks again.

I recently bought a Denon DCD1600 from a fellow fish. To me it sounds far better than the Naim and Meridian players I’ve owned (CD2 and 206). Take a look at a DCD2500.
Thanks for the reply mate, i will check the Denon out. Cheers.

Exposure XM CD. Wouldn't use anything else now. Beats older Naim CD players, way ahead of a Rega Apollo.
The Exposure and Rega Saturn r were the first two on my list an are not off it. For a very long term purchase, i want to see what elae would match up with my Amp and Speakers. Thanks again.

The CD player I choose, is hopefully going to be with me for a very long time. So I don`t mind spending the extra for `the one`.

I understand but that in itself can be a danger. If you have a certain budget you can assume it will be better to spend it all as you are more likely to be satisfied than you might be with a cheaper product. In digital more than many other types of component there is often far less correlation between price and performance than you might find in turntables for instance. And the actual sonic differences between CD players is often smaller.

I consider the Saturn-R to be an 'end game' player as it offers such a well rounded musical sound that you never tire or bore of it. Yes, other players can offer more 'fireworks' but they are typically more likely to be fatiguing and fussy about which disks they approve of. I've had three Naim CD players and none of them were anywhere near as satisfying as the Saturn-R. The only Naim player that I've heard which I think might be as good, although I've not heard it side by side, is the original CDS. Nice player but old and support is patchy and not going to get better.

The best recommendation I can give for the Saturn-R is that I've had one for years and have zero desire to change it. The first CD player I've ever had which I could say that about. I've thought about an Isis but it's hard to justify when the Saturn never lets me down.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure it is not the only CD player that is satisfying. Just saying you need to be careful and try to audition a player for a while to be sure it's not just impressive rather than musical.

I have to agree with this and if I was to renew my CD replay system, that’s one of the options I would investigate, stop worrying about specs and just listen to my music.

I understand but that in itself can be a danger. If you have a certain budget you can assume it will be better to spend it all as you are more likely to be satisfied than you might be with a cheaper product. In digital more than many other types of component there is often far less correlation between price and performance than you might find in turntables for instance. And the actual sonic differences between CD players is often smaller.

I consider the Saturn-R to be an 'end game' player as it offers such a well rounded musical sound that you never tire or bore of it. Yes, other players can offer more 'fireworks' but they are typically more likely to be fatiguing and fussy about which disks they approve of. I've had three Naim CD players and none of them were anywhere near as satisfying as the Saturn-R. The only Naim player that I've heard which I think might be as good, although I've not heard it side by side, is the original CDS. Nice player but old and support is patchy and not going to get better.

The best recommendation I can give for the Saturn-R is that I've had one for years and have zero desire to change it. The first CD player I've ever had which I could say that about. I've thought about an Isis but it's hard to justify when the Saturn never lets me down.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure it is not the only CD player that is satisfying. Just saying you need to be careful and try to audition a player for a while to be sure it's not just impressive rather than musical.
Thank you for the excellent post, i cannot disagree with anything you say. I certainly haven`t discounted the Saturn R, it was the first one that came into my head, then the Exposure, as i have an Exposure Amp. I see Rega have stopped making the DAC, and as i have no experience of them, i would have to do some research. My plan was to just have a CD player, Amp and Speakers. Yes why pay £2.5k, when you can get all you need for £1k less. Thanks once again.

I struggle to understand why Pig need/use a Rega DAC when using a Saturn/R.
I would have thought the DAC inside Saturn are the same as the separate, but psu or other things might explain,?
will there be a clear difference?

Hi,
I have decided to upgrade my Rega Apollo R CD player. I did post previously regarding advice on similar sized players-half size. I have now decided to invest in a hifi rack, probably Atacama and go for a full size CD player. As i couldn`t fit full size in my present set up. My maximum would be £2.5k, although for something special new or ex demo, i could go a wee bit more. My amp is an Exposure 3010S2D and speakers are Dynaudio special 40. So i am looking for recommendations, as to what would match up with these. Any advice welcome.
Thanks.
Hi, I urge you to take a look at this Electrocompaniet EMC1UP at a bargain price!
I've owned one for about 9 years now... built like a tank and almost as heavy, the most analogue player I've ever heard, nearly 4K new.
I listened to a lot before buying it, to these ears it was better than Wadia, Krell and a top of the range Sugden
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_...13&_nkw=electrocompaniet+cd+player&_sacat=293
Mac

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I'd go for a nice DAC and not spend too much on a transport, since they really don't last forever and spares are getting expensive to come by for a lot of players. If you do buy an expensive player, try to find one with a mechanism that is easily repairable, as you don't want to end up with something that was costly and is hard to fix.

If you have a Richer Sounds near you then a Roksan Blak will be easy to arrange an audition.

That is what I did, tried a few c.d. players, the Blak is in a different league, instantly sounded different to all other c.d. players I had heard. Everyone I played it to notices the sound.
Audition at home if possible, makes a lot of difference.

After a few months with the Blak, I am still being blown away by it.
I prefer playing records, but this c.d. player makes two choices of reproduction.

If I had more money, time and easy ‘Richer Sounds’ access to the Rega Isis, then I might have gone that way.
Nobody sells it close to me, and I ain’t blowing that kinda wad without trying it at home.
Therefore > Roksan Blak.

I like the big readout as well.

I'd go for a nice DAC and not spend too much on a transport, since they really don't last forever and spares are getting expensive to come by for a lot of players. If you do buy an expensive player, try to find one with a mechanism that is easily repairable, as you don't want to end up with something that was costly and is hard to fix.

I have used my Apollo as transport, its doing a sterling job.
I ran a Chord Hugo DAC at some point, very impressive but annoying battery, design and little use of HP I decided to go back using my Rega DAC.
Not the same resolution or detail but in fact just musical in lack of better words.
I still have my old Saturn, just serviced, excellent as transport too.

If you have a Richer Sounds near you then a Roksan Blak will be easy to arrange an audition.

That is what I did, tried a few c.d. players, the Blak is in a different league, instantly sounded different to all other c.d. players I had heard. Everyone I played it to notices the sound.
Audition at home if possible, makes a lot of difference.

After a few months with the Blak, I am still being blown away by it.
I prefer playing records, but this c.d. player makes two choices of reproduction.

If I had more money, time and easy ‘Richer Sounds’ access to the Rega Isis, then I might have gone that way.
Nobody sells it close to me, and I ain’t blowing that kinda wad without trying it at home.
Therefore > Roksan Blak.

I like the big readout as well.

Isis new is double the Blak price to my knowledge.
They (Isis) are available s/h but not many around.
Stil more expensive than a new Saturn/R
Would love to hear the Roksan myself.

I struggle to understand why Pig need/use a Rega DAC when using a Saturn/R. I would have thought the DAC inside Saturn are the same as the separate..

Yes, the are essentially the same.

One of the benefits touted for the Saturn-R was that it let them better manage the relationship between the DAC and transport with everyone agreeing that the Saturn-R sounds better than the Apollo-R and DAC. As it should considering it cost more.

So when I picked up a DAC and plugged it into the Saturn-R, really just to check it was working ok, I was surprised to hear that it sounded better. I don't really see why it should but I've swapped back and forth many times and the DAC is still in play.

There is synergy going on. I've fed the DAC with many other players and none quite match the Saturn-R. Which is a bit of a shame as I could free up a grand if a cheap DVD player did the job!

So yes, it's the same DAC in both boxes but having it in a separate one is an upgrade. Your millage may vary.

I too have no inclination to upgrade the Saturn-r in my system. Occasionally, and admittedly could be down to increasingly cloth ears, I have to think whether i’m Playing my Akurate level Sondek, or the Rega. It’s that good! Though of course the turntable edges it in direct comparison. But It’s so listenable, and as was said above, doesn’t tend to highlight faults in the poor mastering of some cd’s, but makes them listenable, and well mastered cd’s sound even better, and I can use the dac as a separate utility if I want to prat about streaming Amazon music, it too giving listenable results. But really ought to try a separate streamer through the dac. Something for the future, that I keep putting off, as I just need vinyl and cd’s to keep me satisfied, with two sources that are this good.

I have to think whether i’m Playing my Akurate level Sondek, or the Rega. It’s that good!

That's interesting. As much as I like the Saturn-R, there was no mistaking that the RP10 was a considerably higher resolution device. I would have thought that an LP12 like yours would have been the same.

Opus 21cd, most musical player I heard, a true giant killer and under budget.
Ex sound with easily available mechs if a fault develops in years to come.

advertisement

Back