advertisement

CD Player recommendations £2,500 max.

wezzywest

pfm Member
Hi,
I have decided to upgrade my Rega Apollo R CD player. I did post previously regarding advice on similar sized players-half size. I have now decided to invest in a hifi rack, probably Atacama and go for a full size CD player. As i couldn`t fit full size in my present set up. My maximum would be £2.5k, although for something special new or ex demo, i could go a wee bit more. My amp is an Exposure 3010S2D and speakers are Dynaudio special 40. So i am looking for recommendations, as to what would match up with these. Any advice welcome.
Thanks.

The Atacama stands are fine, but I think the Quadraspire ones look and sound better, so if you haven’t checked them out, maybe take a look? On CD players, the Roksan Black (around £3k new) is brilliant and you’d probably get an ex-dem or very lightly used one in your budget. Otherwise, I’d take a look at the AstinTrew players, which should be considerably under budget.

The Atacama stands are fine, but I think the Quadraspire ones look and sound better, so if you haven’t checked them out, maybe take a look? On CD players, the Roksan Black (around £3k new) is brilliant and you’d probably get an ex-dem or very lightly used one in your budget. Otherwise, I’d take a look at the AstinTrew players, which should be considerably under budget.
Thanks for the reply, I will check out the Quadraspire. I haven’t heard of the AstinTrew players before, so I will check them out with the Roksan. Thanks again.

There are more CD players at this price point than I imagined, from the likes of Creek, Luxman, Unison Research, Pathos, Marantz, Denon and Roksan, but I have no idea as to what would be a good match to your Exposure and Dynaudio. I'm guessing you've already considered the Exposure XM as you've been looking at half-width players.

There are more CD players at this price point than I imagined, from the likes of Creek, Luxman, Unison Research, Pathos, Marantz, Denon and Roksan, but I have no idea as to what would be a good match to your Exposure and Dynaudio. I'm guessing you've already considered the Exposure XM as you've been looking at half-width players.
Yes the number of players at this price point is surprising. I have checked out the Exposure XM, though I am not sure of how much of an upgrade It would be. I’m surprised they don’t have a CD at a higher price point.

Would you consider a transport and an external DAC ?
Lots of options and great performances..........
To be honest I hadn’t. I have only had the one box player, the Brio r since 2015 when I had to sell my vinyl. The transport/dac is a whole new world for me, I know next to nothing about them. But I would not rule them out, and would be interested in suggestions.

Hi,
I have decided to upgrade my Rega Apollo R CD player. I did post previously regarding advice on similar sized players-half size. I have now decided to invest in a hifi rack, probably Atacama and go for a full size CD player. As i couldn`t fit full size in my present set up. My maximum would be £2.5k, although for something special new or ex demo, i could go a wee bit more. My amp is an Exposure 3010S2D and speakers are Dynaudio special 40. So i am looking for recommendations, as to what would match up with these. Any advice welcome.
Thanks.

If you're anywhere near Cardiff, I can lend you a Stands Unique rack, to see if they suit. They come up second hand regularly, are well built and well thought of.

I would suggest you take a look at the player I currently use. I certainly never expected to be having a Technics in my system, but it has proved to be a really excellent player; the SL-G700.

This produces a very accomplished sound indeed, plus it is a very versatile unit. The DAC cab be accessed by external sources. It is an MQA DAC, inc discs, if that is of interest to you. It is also a streamer, should you have any interest in that. It also plays SACDs.If you're using it as a disc player, then all other functionality can be turned off, giving a small, but noticeable, further lift to SQ. Disc eject is very smooth. Disc playback is quiet. Fit and finish is top class. All in all a very high quality player. Definitely worth a look.

I've just been through this lengthy process but with a budget of £4K. I bought a Rega Isis second hand in the end but that will be slightly above your budget although if you're a Rega fan it might be worth holding out for. There was one on eBay for as little as £2750 recently. They also work as a DAC so you can use them for more than just CD replay and they have spare dedicated mechs at the factory so they should last for decades.

I would suggest you take a look at the player I currently use. I certainly never expected to be having a Technics in my system, but it has proved to be a really excellent player; the SL-G700.

This produces a very accomplished sound indeed, plus it is a very versatile unit. The DAC cab be accessed by external sources. It is an MQA DAC, inc discs, if that is of interest to you. It is also a streamer, should you have any interest in that. It also plays SACDs.If you're using it as a disc player, then all other functionality can be turned off, giving a small, but noticeable, further lift to SQ. Disc eject is very smooth. Disc playback is quiet. Fit and finish is top class. All in all a very high quality player. Definitely worth a look.
Thanks for the reply, i hadn`t thought about Technics but i will check out the model you have suggested. Cheers.

I've just been through this lengthy process but with a budget of £4K. I bought a Rega Isis second hand in the end but that will be slightly above your budget although if you're a Rega fan it might be worth holding out for. There was one on eBay for as little as £2750 recently. They also work as a DAC so you can use them for more than just CD replay and they have spare dedicated mechs at the factory so they should last for decades.
Yes i did have a read through your thread, the two finalists in your journey, would be a dream choice for me. But and its a big one- money. As i don`t mind used or ex demo, i keep looking in hope.:D

OK so just to let you know that some (some) PC DVD drives have been perfect at bit-accurate output (but for ripping) for about 19 years now and continue to provide all the info on the CD for many years. I would not pay 2k on any CD transport given that drives doing this 16 years ago were like 70 quid in the PC space.

When you have bitperfect output you can then maybe save to FLAC and archive for future perfect playback
2k in 2021 for a CD player.... if it looks good lol

advertisement

Back