advertisement

Cassettes? Seriously?

Rockmeister

pfm Member
The new HiFi??? The must have of must haves?
OK
That's it. I officially abandon the idea that the trend setters might have any redeeming feature lol.
I mean, I was 'cassette man' at some point, mainly because all cars had a cassette player and you could make compilation tapes for the journey and to give to mates. That was the point. Convenience.
But as a HiFi goal?
Not even Nakamichi ever claimed that that was a thing.

OK I know. it's just a fad so will be gone in a week, but as a fad, it's about as good an idea as reintroducing candy floss as a health food.

You are remarkably late on this! The cassette revival has been in full swing for at least a decade now. Lots of interesting little bands self-producing highly limited editions etc. It is one of the few collectable physical formats a band can do with very limited investment and without having to wait maybe a year for a slot at a vinyl pressing plant.

NOOOO This is about my normal pace. 5 years is fine. My pine tree grew 10 feet in 5 years. That's my idea of time. :)
No, I knew they were back. I did a thread on it, and dug my Yamaha out and refurbed it 3 years back. use it sometimes. But then, they weren't 'a thing'.
Lots of interesting little bands self-producing highly limited editions etc. It is one of the few collectable physical formats a band can do with very limited investment and without having to wait maybe a year for a slot at a vinyl pressing plant.

I didn't know that. Makes sense financial outlay wise but tough to be successful in a format that only 2000 people can use?

I have a three-head Nak and lots of cassettes from the mid-70s and onwards. I exchanged a 4-track A77 for a new two-head Nak in the early 90s. The Nak was better for my type of music. So with good tapes and good sources they aren't that bad. I'm quite surprised that 40 year old Maxell UD recordings sounds as good as they do. I have also bought some new music on cassette. Adjustable playback head is a must.

I didn't know that. Makes sense financial outlay wise but tough to be successful in a format that only 2000 people can use?
They probably sell dnloads, too, at places like Bandcamp, but the cassette gives the kids smth tangible, and then they play the streams or digital tracks. You buy the cassette and the digital dnload is included in the price.

They probably sell dnloads, too, at places like Bandcamp, but the cassette gives the kids smth tangible, and then they play the streams or digital tracks. You buy the cassette and the digital dnload is included in the price.
Talking to friends who have put out cassettes this is a big part of it. You can flog a tape on the merch table at a gig for a fiver with a free download. It's almost impossible to sell downloads on their own on a merch table. People want something physical to look at on the bus home and stick on their shelf.

Oh ok. This is just another ramble from someone so out ot touch that he's happy with gardening?
Gottit :)
I never did like Maxell tho. Terrible case mechanics.

So there, fired up the Nak and started playing a self-recorded cassette. Mazzy Star, Buffalo Tom, Velvet Crush, Ride, Dinosaur Jr and R.E.M. No vinyl tonight, then. :D On a Sony HF-ES cassette to please somebody

I went to a gig in London last Saturday and they were selling cassettes of the album. Consumers consume...

I had three, for some reason I can't remember, Sony DD33 Walkman (men?) and I was amazed to get the best part of £350 for them on eBay. I'm not too sure they even worked as I don't have any cassettes to try them out. I did point this out in the listing but that didn't stop the bids. They sold in hours which amazed me. I'm pretty sure I didn't pay that much when they were new. I had no idea that cassettes were a thing with the youth.

advertisement

Back