advertisement

Cartridge Comparison - with Needledrops

Ocean I'm not 100% sure but the files names sequence do not relate to the list sequence - they are to be announced Thursday

ie blind test

No. Cartridge A isn't a Denon 103. That list doesn't relate to the letters.

I'm happy to put up a file of your AT95E but I'm away in Italy from friday for 6 days so it'd need to be after then.

My choice is FHJ on Mozart

either H or J but guessing by the hint i'm unlikely to afford H & J so maybe F is within cost reach here

again they are all good with only C ruled out quickly

Haven't spent that long listening, but D, E & G for me, on the SRV track. E sounds a bit restrained in comparison to D and G is a different character, but I like it.

Finally got round to Eartha Kitt. My preference is for C this time. I liked the central voice the most, and it had a better relation to the instruments - both carving its own space and relating to them. B had good spacing and definition, and was superior in the bass (most were pretty bad), but I thought the voice was a bit too relaxed and gentle. This meant I got bored half way through. I'd thought B was best on the Mozart - perhaps I will go back and check. E was pretty lacklustre I thought. G not bad but a bit thin. F had rather different voicing which accentuated the treble. Voice on D was better, but no real drama.

I should say this was splitting hairs and not easy to see really strong differences. I wouldn't rule out coming to totally different conclusions if it were daytime and a cat was walking in the garden.

SRV now. This is strange because I like E on this one, which previously I have rejected. Can't believe how varying my responses are on the different tracks. E gets the bite of the guitar best for me, and has good definition, grip and all round balance, though at times I feel the low bass is slowing it down a bit. D has a massive bass hump, but is well defined. It rocks, but the voice is thin. B also has a bass hump, but this has good dynamics and generally rocks. A is thin and flat.

So that's E and B best, then D. A worst. (And C also poor - which I liked most on the Eartha Kitt?!?)

ADDENDUM - I missed H and J. Both contenders. H has very good control on the bass, good overall integration and biting guitar sound. An airier sound, without losing grip. Superior.

I just downloaded the Mozart H - did you have the channels the wrong way round on this?
Its very good though, in spite of some static. Superb in fact - the voices and the woodwind come out really well.

surprising how we concentrate on different things .. for me it was the voice & timbre (though I've only listened to the Eartha Kitt & Mozart )

surprising how we concentrate on different things .. for me it was the voice & timbre (though I've only listened to the Eartha Kitt & Mozart )

For me also, voice and timbre are usually by far the most important things, but I found it difficult with these selections. Eartha Kitt does not have a voice with great richness of timbre, although it does have a lot of character. The sopranos in the Mozart have great quality, but the classical voice privileges purity above texture. I would love to hear this selection of carts with Coltrane's tenor, or Joanna Newsom's voice, for example - voices with richness, complexity and depth, their own quirks and a unique grain. Not that I'm not very grateful for this selection, of course.

despite the exercise being personal choice not many want to stick their neck out on blind tests

To be fair, it is very time consuming, since there were a lot of options, and it does become confusing and a challenge to the memory. I think I might have been better following Guy's advice and testing them in groups of 3.

But come on fishes, get listening! Its such a rare opportunity.

I'm away from early tomorrow am & won't be back online til next thursday. Do people want the id's of these tonight or after I return? I don't mind either way.

I'm still expecting a couple more interesting cartridges to arrive but I could always do those later with some different music throwing in one or two from this group as a reference point.

I expect there may be more opinion once people know what's what. ;)

Incidentally the modern Ortofon included in this group is a Cadenza Bronze, not the Kontrapunkt B.

despite the exercise being personal choice not many want to stick their neck out on blind tests

I've really enjoyed this one, though I have to admit I've found it very hard to form clear opinions, I think mainly due to the sheer scope. I'm liking the two new ones that went up, though it's well worth flipping H where the channels are accidentally reversed (doable in Audacity).

On the Eartha my favs are:

F: I really like this one, it's got a lovely warm and funky yet open and clear sound. Maybe not quite the cleanest tracker of the pack, but very good indeed. This is the one I'd buy by a fair distance.

D: Quite similar to F, but maybe a little better tracking at the expense of a little magic.

J: On this track I'm enjoying this one, though it is out on a limb on it's own being very warm and 'vintage' sounding. If I had to put money on identifying a cart, and do so entirely based upon internet reviews I'd say this one was an SPU or maybe even the M3D.

I had a go with the SRV, but found that hard work and struggled to form any firm opinion. I think I'll download another track now, I'm torn between the Mozart and the electronica. Maybe do both...

Tony.

PS I'm playing the files on a MacBook running Audacity via a pair of Sennheiser HD-600 cans.

advertisement

Back