advertisement

Cartridge Comparison - with Needledrops

I'd be curious to know if any folk listening can sort them into MMs and MCs, i.e. are there specific audible traits to the two core technologies? I've not started yet, though I've downloaded two of the songs to have a go this afternoon / evening.

Tony.

I haven't downloaded these yet, but I'd like to commend you for the hard work involved!

Yes, seconded. This is really the only way I can get to compare carts, and whatever the imperfections of the method, its a fantastically useful service you are doing.

No, but if someone wants to lend me one (or any other interesting cartridge) then pm me. It'd be nice to have a Shelter, an AT33PTG, a Transfiguration or a Dynavector.

As it is, there'll be 3 more added next week.

Perhaps Barrymidd could offer a loan of his Shure 1V with Jico SAS ? - that would be awesome to compare

No probs Guy, have others too if they interest you.

Had a good listen tonight.

In terms of favourites I like D closely followed by A.
D sounds the most 3D and expressive to me. Sounds like a little top end lift but I usually like that.

Really don't like C at all - yuk - closely followed by B.

I'm basing my preference on sound alone. They all treat surface noise and what sounds like some groove damage very differently.

Hey! Eartha is in stereo! All mine is mono. I think I'm liking F, D and G best on this one, though I may need a bit more time.

Tony.

I'm basing my preference on sound alone. They all treat surface noise and what sounds like some groove damage very differently.

It did make me wonder whether the cartridges that followed one or two of these were at a disadvantage in having to play the same record! There are a couple that give me the impression of a slight lack of 'assuredness' in the groove & with those I wouldn't attempt to play my more difficult or valuable records. This is likely to be a tip profile issue rather than a specific mechanical fault.

Tony. Mono records & cartridges are a project for another time ;)

Decent differences heard here through Logitech PC 2.1 system.

D for me. Sounded open and resolving.
Too many were bloomy and one note in the bass - arm / cart / turntable / phono-stage issue? I worry I have just picked the one that is bass light and therefore causing the least issues in the system.

cheers
Jason

Two heavyweights enter the fray. Cartridges H & J added to the original post.

I'll post what all of these cartridges are on thursday.

Excellent, got them coming down now. Will have a good listen tomorrow. I'm very curious to learn what's what here...

Tony.

On a first run through I like D then E. F seems to have a hum*.

There are some striking top end differences.

Paul

*I can't see anything in Audacity, I'll listen again later.

First off, thanks for doing this Guy, most useful.

So far all I've done is download them (Figaro) at work and listen straight through. It's noisy here and the computer system is basic but the one that got me to stop what I was doing and listen was H - seemed to have the most believability about it.

Hmm. Cartridge J appears to have its channels reversed. I didn't fit that one to its headshell. It was borrowed already fitted to a headshell & its gone back now. Ah well.

If you do the comparisons by pre loading them all into Audacity you can flip the channels on J.

Will try to listen to the last two tonight.

Im most interested in A cause thats what ive got, but ive also got the at95e
which someone would like to here its got 10 hours on it at the most, will post
it to guy if it helps as long as guy is ok with posting it back,the denon 103
seems to lack a bit of treble for me but very easy on the ear, but think theres better but at a price.

advertisement

Back