advertisement

Car Number Plates

Apparently, the point is that the rest of Europe (according to what I read) believe that GB excludes Northern Ireland so they’re making it UK to show them who’s boss.

Apparently, the point is that the rest of Europe (according to what I read) believe that GB excludes Northern Ireland so they’re making it UK to show them who’s boss.

As someone living in "the rest of Europe," I can confirm that that was keeping millions of people awake at night, from Helsinki to Athens, torturing themselves about the status on number plates of Northern Ireland. We can all sleep soundly now in the knowledge that GB has been annexed by the Ukraine.

Has anyone else (Brits only) noticed that if you hire a car when abroad you get honked at and cut up much less than if you drive your own car.

With the characteristic UK plates, and the steering wheel on the wrong side, I doubt even the most officious gendarme or carabiniere or guardia civil would give you any trouble. And speak English slowly in a loud voice.

Many years ago were were in a jam at the traffic lights on the Carpentras (Vaucluse) ring road. My wife was driving, and overshot the "stop line" by a couple of feet - naturally, the local coppers were right behind - siren sounds, Sue reverses back behind the line, policeman gets out, saunters up the middle of the road and looks in my open window. Does the classic "double take" - looks at me and realises no steering wheel: all I can do is shrug. "Utilisez les yeux, eh?" "Oui, monsieur. Merci"

Many years ago were were in a jam at the traffic lights on the Carpentras (Vaucluse) ring road. My wife was driving, and overshot the "stop line" by a couple of feet - naturally, the local coppers were right behind - siren sounds, Sue reverses back behind the line, policeman gets out, saunters up the middle of the road and looks in my open window. Does the classic "double take" - looks at me and realises no steering wheel: all I can do is shrug. "Utilisez les yeux, eh?" "Oui, monsieur. Merci"

Driving through Turkey back in 1977 We were stopped in a speedtrap (guilty, I hadn`t slowed enough through a deserted village). The police were entirely unable to understand a steering wheel on the right hand side and gave my companion the ticket, including stamping it into his passport.

advertisement

Back