advertisement

Car buying; does anyone enjoy it?

I had to park at the local VW garage recently , just about 2 spaces left and they were tiny . it was bad enough in a polo but imagine trying to park that in tescos or tight spaces !! i dont know how folks do it .

Feels big when you are sitting in it. not least because there is a lot of glass. I know it is not a technical description but my overall impression is that it looks "swollen" even on the inside. Like they started with the 3 door and pumped it up.

I know that all of these cars need to retain the Mini look but I think this one might take it beyond a reasonable boundary. If I was buying something that big the equivalent BMW might be a better bet.
Yes, when cars branded "Mini" became bigger than a 1970s Range Rover I lost interest.

that is where it gained my interest - looks interesting outside and funky inside.

but boring - no bmw is funky, interesting and fun.
I did like the Countryman inside where it matters, with the panoramic roof it seemed a very "happy" space. Quite why car designers want to create dark miserable pits and then rescue them with ambient lighting is beyond me. It begs an obvious question.

However my in house stylist advises that my aesthetic sensibility is compromised. I still like Lava lamps.

Agreed my car is white inside and feels light and airy , sat inside a later model mokka and it was depressingly black and dark roof inside .like so many cars

I hate the bit where you think you’ve bought it and then they start trying to sell you a valeting kit, insurance against accidental damage to the seats etc, insurance for the alloy wheels, maintenance plans… and whatever other extras they can dream up. Our local Vauxhall dealers were quite aggressive about it, wouldn’t touch them again.
I tell the dealer not to bother asking me to buy extras. One even tried i walked out.

Latest is we’ve ‘almost’ decided on a secondhand Toyota RAV4…loads of room, super reliable and really quite efficient petrol wise…thought my other half might find it too big to drive but she seemed quite happy and really liked the height to make getting in/out easier

Yes must confess the last vauxhall i bought they spent nearly an hour trying to force me to buy all these extras which i resisted , all except alloy insurance and they went bust !

Vw were not bad recently but we did get gap insurance deal which i think is possibly worth doing

So 14" steel ones with clip on plastic trims then? Good choice, I'd say. No alloy wheel corrosion and leakage problems, easy to replace if damaged, cheaper, easy to wash.
So, it's actually possible, in this day and age, to get wheels with a sane dimension. And even proper steel rims!!!! There is still hope.

Latest is we’ve ‘almost’ decided on a secondhand Toyota RAV4…loads of room, super reliable and really quite efficient petrol wise…thought my other half might find it too big to drive but she seemed quite happy and really liked the height to make getting in/out easier
Colleague of mine has a Jag F pace for trips and weekends, and a few years old RAV4 that he's just picked up recently, to commute to work in. He hates to admit that he prefers the RAV. I kid you not.

You
what are alloy wheels for

Copilot

Alloy wheels are wheels made from a blend of aluminum or magnesium alloys rather than pure metals like steel. Let’s explore their characteristics and advantages:
  1. Strength and Weight: Alloy wheels generally offer greater strength compared to pure metals. They are lighter for the same strength, which has several benefits:
    • Improved handling by reducing unsprung mass, allowing the suspension to follow the terrain more closely and enhancing grip.
    • Better acceleration due to reduced weight.
    • Improved braking performance in demanding driving conditions, as alloy wheels dissipate heat more effectively, reducing the risk of brake failure due to overheating1.
  2. Heat Conduction: Alloy wheels have better heat conduction than steel wheels. Their more open design helps dissipate heat from the brakes, contributing to improved braking performance.
  3. Cosmetic Appearance: Alloy wheels allow for attractive bare-metal finishes, enhancing the overall look of your vehicle. However, it’s essential to seal them with paint or wheel covers to prevent corrosion. The intricate and bold designs achievable with alloy wheels make them popular for cosmetic purposes
  4. Corrosion Resistance: While cheaper alloys may not be as corrosion-resistant, alloy wheels made from aluminum or magnesium alloys are renowned for their ability to withstand corrosion and rust1.
In summary, alloy wheels offer a combination of strength, weight savings, heat dissipation, and aesthetic appeal, making them a preferred choice for many car enthusiasts and drivers

aren't they lighter in weight? Yielding better fuel efficiency? They are more aesthetically pleasing.
I just had a read up. Yes, generally they're lighter and of course that's less unsprung weight, which is good. They can look superb (although I have a soft spot for the old Merc hub caps!)

They're dearer and can crack are the downsides. Never lost one that way though.

As long as you don’t have 35 profile tyres when you hit potholes at 50mph, the wheel should be ok.

I think years ago a particular Audi RS was fitted with (3 piece?) magnesium alloy wheels, and they were an expensive disaster.

I generally do.

Buying new is all very easy and pleasurable.

Used comes with some risks but I have just bought the MX5 from a really good dealer and that was also totally hassle free. Have bought several cars from club members and that has never been an issue.

As long as you don’t have 35 profile tyres when you hit potholes at 50mph, the wheel should be ok.

I think years ago a particular Audi RS was fitted with (3 piece?) magnesium alloy wheels, and they were an expensive disaster.
I think mine has mag wheels, they have "Mg" stamped on the inner rim. They are also split rim and screwed together, no problems so far touch wood. I dare say they cost about the same as a house to replace.

advertisement

Back