advertisement

Can - What's it all about?

The thing with Can is that you really needed to see them live to get the witchy atmosphere they created. And even then it didn’t always work

Not sure I agree with that. I saw them live in 72(ish) in a small venue in Southend and 76(?) in Canterbury. Both gigs were great but my appreciation and respect for them has grown more over time.

Probably the proudest moment of my short and sporadic DJ’ing career was dropping’I want more’ in a packed basement club. It’s the only time I’ve elicited an excited whoop from the crowd!

Future Days is my favourite album, but their career was so varied (patchy) that a compilation might be as good a place as any to start.

Weird but mesmerising… I’d never heard any of their stuff until I was hired to do sound for Damo Suzuki in 2014 for a small local gig. For what it’s worth, he’s a thoroughly pleasant person, as is his wife, totally down to earth. They were most grateful for the sound and for their food from Bridge Street chippy in Walsall!

Damo Suzuki’s Network is great. Such a great idea. Here he is with Mugstar, this really builds up about the half way mark (I’ve got the vinyl, wasn’t there sadly). I’ve seen him fronting a couple of other bands too. As above he’s a really nice guy.

PS I’ve got his autobiography, the brilliantly titled ‘I Am Damo Suzuki’ (Fall fans will get that), though I’ve not got round to reading it yet. Must bump it up the pile.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I very much like all of the Can stuff. Tago is a masterpiece,
if you want something more accessible it may be worth starting with Flow Motion, Can with added Funk !

Probably the proudest moment of my short and sporadic DJ’ing career was dropping’I want more’ in a packed basement club. It’s the only time I’ve elicited an excited whoop from the crowd!

Future Days is my favourite album, but their career was so varied (patchy) that a compilation might be as good a place as any to start.
Funny thing is I found a Can compilation cd Cannibalism 1 on my shelf, did'nt even know I had it.

I saw Can maybe 4 times. I loved them. Live you realise they are all about breaking down to almost nothing then building up to a kind of cosmic mesh where everything swings and sings together- the whole band seems to levitate at those times- the individuals sublimated in the group -all about playing together in the moment. For every synchronised climax there was a landscape of dissonance and brutal volume to negotiate first.
The studio albums show this to some extent, but also - like Miles- the cut and paste way of editing down long jam sessions.
Listen to You doo right on Monster movie. Ege Bamyasi, spoon, I’m so green, vitamin c. ( and so much more).
Hard to believe most of the band have passed away.

The Souest concert (double header with Dinger-era Kraftwerk) is highly recommended but you can't top the Free Concert from Munich Sporthalle 72 (a photograph from that is on the back of "Ege Bamyesi")

A bit of "Spoon" that ends up becoming "Oh Yeah" :cool:

And Jaki is a machine. :cool: :cool:

I'm not familiar with their music really, but I do like this. It sounds like there are several, different potential tunes about to erupt from the groove. I quite like this kind of spareness and tension. It's almost as if your mind/imagination becomes engaged in playing the music too.

Yes....I'm beginning to see that it is all about a groove.....I will persist

This month's copy of The Wire magazine might interest you - a worthwhile interview with Michael Rother on the 50th anniversary of Neu!, and a Motorik rock primer:

issues

advertisement

Back