advertisement

Cable directionality

Well, I prefer to live in the real world and absorb all that my senses tell me, you should try it sometime, it's rather nice.
Errol.

I prefer to know what is an artifact of my mind's faulty perception & reality, thanks.

Chris

Never had a speaker cable or interconnect that wasn't directional. Even the fuses on my amplifiers, cd players, tuners etc are directional. I can't ignore what my senses tell me, by the way. When my speaker cables, interconnects or fuses aren't put in the right direction the sound of my system doesn't sound right for me.

I have friends on three continents still laughing at this.

Either you can hear a difference or you cant.

I personally hear a clear improvement for having fuses correctly oriented.

I may be deluding myself (who does it hurt)

Or I may be getting closer to the original performance.

Some would clearly rather derogate the idea than admit to deafness.

I installed my Tellurium Q Black speaker cables the 'wrong' way round I discovered that evening. Direction of writing apparently shows that, shucks. I'm the deaf dumb blind music lover.

That old chestnut, I must be deaf because I can't hear what you hear.

I see your 'pair of deaf' and raise you a 'I don't hear that effect because my hifi isn't made of substandard components that are somehow affected by fuse orientation'.

I installed my Tellurium Q Black speaker cables the 'wrong' way round I discovered that evening. Direction of writing apparently shows that, shucks. I'm the deaf dumb blind music lover.

All you need to do is reverse the direction of your fuses to match.

Are you sure you haven't missed out the "Your kit is not good enough for you to discern the difference" shpiel? That normally coes before the "your ears aren't golden enough" accusation.

No may about it. You ARE deluding yourself.

Chris

Never had a speaker cable or interconnect that wasn't directional. Even the fuses on my amplifiers, cd players, tuners etc are directional. I can't ignore what my senses tell me, by the way. When my speaker cables, interconnects or fuses aren't put in the right direction the sound of my system doesn't sound right for me.

Just because you have changed the direction of the cable or fuse and it sounds different does not mean that the cause is the direction of the cable. If the cable connection or fuse connection was dirty and partially rectifying the waveform then it could have been cleaned and sound better. Besides if cables were directional, as I have pointed out before the effect would have been noticed when they first started transmitting voices over telephone cables over hundreds of kilometers. Since it was not an observed effect it can be said with a high degree of confidence that cables are not directional. Coincidence and causality are not the same.

I too suspect the 'cleaning the contacts' idea has a good proportion of sense in it. I recall some years back someone pointing out that the majority of folk who experiment with reversing cables heard an improvement. Surely if the cable was directional 50% of folk would hear a worsening.

I too suspect the 'cleaning the contacts' idea has a good proportion of sense in it. I recall some years back someone pointing out that the majority of folk who experiment with reversing cables heard an improvement. Surely if the cable was directional 50% of folk would hear a worsening.
Cleaning the contacts might offer some explanation I suppose.

As I keep saying, if a cable is directional, then this can only be significant if the current is too - i.e., if it is DC. Since audio signals are AC, any directional properties of the cable couldn't possibly make any difference even if they existed!

Is the copper plating on PCB tracks directional , if so which way round should they be.

Don't forget the recording studio cables. If they were the wrong way round you have to play the music backwards for it to sound good.

Surely if the cable was directional 50% of folk would hear a worsening.
This is a fundamental truth that most 'believers' conveniently ignore.

If there truly are parameters that conventional wisdom doesn't understand, such things are equally likely to work against you as for you. Burn-in or burn-out?

advertisement

Back