advertisement

Cable directionality

As one whose training and life-long work is in Science and Engineering, I meet too may colleagues who fall into the trap of presuming that "all the textbooks have been written" , some phenomenon or other is " perfectly well understood" and what some folk claim to experience, cannot possibly happen, "`cos the textbook says so!!!"

What arrogance!!!!. What nonsense

As one who firmly believes that arroganceand ignorance are two sides of the same coin (so to speak) many postings above are quite breathtaking...talk about others` ignorance in the same sentence as their own brazen arrogance

Too many know-alls.....my advice would be to be suspicious of those who are hidebound by measurements...ie those who claim that if exists it must be measurable

laurie

That - to my mind - is a textbook, investigative, properly scientific attitude. Bravo!

There's plenty of 'talking loudly and carrying a twiglet’ that seems (at least) imprudent.

That - to my mind - is a textbook, investigative, properly scientific attitude. Bravo!

There's plenty of 'talking loudly and carrying a twiglet’ that seems (at least) imprudent.
I disagree: I think it's wilfully obtuse. The issue which tends to characterise the debate over directionality etc is not about measurement as such but about what constitutes proper evidence. People's personal reports outside of blind and controlled experiments are simply not evidence of any weight. Measurements are evidence of a sort but proper experimental data is what really matters, because measured changes are not necessarily audible.

Hitherto unmeasured but real phenomena are quite possible but you cannot claim to have proven or even given sound grounds to believe you have discovered one on the basis of anecdotal reminiscence, however congenial it may be.

It's a puzzle isn't it? I've just got the Eroica symphony on through my new £20 DAC, and I must say it's really hard to understand why it's preferable to listen to music through something that costs at least 10 times as much and doesn't work very well... :confused:

The digital only guys with their furrowed brows, blank expressions and finger on chin exclaiming "I'm confused". Vinyl really seems to agitate and annoy them. Hooray!

advertisement

Back