advertisement

Cable arrows

mole0937

pfm Member
Hi
Ive just bought some Chord interconnect which have arrows on them are these pointing from phono stage to Preamp ?
Thanks in anticipation
Martin

Must be pointing downstream - pointing with the flow of the electricity.

I once installed 20m of chord cable in my SQ car, biamped components from four mono amps in the boot. I didn’t notice the arrows on a couple of runs - a judge did and I lost points in competition.. argh. Ripped the car apart, turned them all round the right way, was expecting miraculous things and it sounded...

Exactly the same... Booo! Took me hours!

Yes, pointing from the source, towards the amp. So in your case, from the phono stage towards your pre amp.
Will it make any difference? Maybe, maybe not, but hey, it’s as easy to connect them up following the arrows as it is not, so you may as well follow the manufactures advice.

Hey guys, remember: the signal is AC. There is no 'upstream' or 'downstream'. For example, playing a sinusoidal tone, the current would move one direction half of the time and the other direction the other half. Directional speaker wire and interconnects make...
absolutely no sense!!1!

Hey guys, remember: the signal is AC. There is no 'upstream' or 'downstream'. For example, playing a sinusoidal tone, the current would move one direction half of the time and the other direction the other half. Directional speaker wire and interconnects make...
absolutely no sense!!1!

True, but if the manufacturer believes otherwise, why wouldn't you just hook it up as the arrows indicate? Surely you've nothing to lose.

True, but if the manufacturer believes otherwise, why wouldn't you just hook it up as the arrows indicate? Surely you've nothing to lose.

They don't believe otherwise, but they want you to

It's impossible for it be to be directional

I just follow the instructions and don't worry about it.

My reasoning is that if the manufacturer is right then I'm getting the best result. And if they are talking rubbish and it makes no difference I would have to waste hours of my life to find out!

And would be no better off at the end of it.

Arrows on cables generally point from sale-stand to cashpoint.

If you disagree ( barring the one particular issue raised about shields ground one end, and if you need this, you'll already understand) - then obvs I'd like a pint of striped paint please, that can be universally applied by brush. It comes in a very small & expensive tin, Maxwells'Demon brand.

Some QED interconnect cables, for example Silver Spiral has same direction arrows. There are extra wires (screen, grounding?) which are connected only at one end.

advertisement

Back