advertisement

Buying Shares, for numnuts

No post no business? Er no. No Parcels no business, no one needs letters, and it's the letter infrastructure that makes royal mail unique. It's a declining usp.

I know this sounds bonkers, but with the shares so low, and the Uk needing us, i feel the share price will have to go up, yes a shit company to work for, and in big trouble , but, needed, for the uk to survive, the government can not let the royal mail go under, which it can, it will bring the uk to a halt, and that is not acceptable for the government, or the uk,

no post no business, simple,

Are you entitled to this scheme? That would use up £1K of your £10K this year, you could decide at your leisure what to do with the remaining £9K

Royal_Mail_SIP_Partnership_Matching_booklet July 2018 FINAL.pdf (myroyalmail.com)

He is not buying royal mail shares, those do not exist. He is buying IDS shares. Royal Mail part of that stock has a negative value at the moment, GLS is worth far more than total IDS value that includes RM.

The problem with RM is that if it screws up much more the government will have no option other than to re-nationalize it, at which point any shareholders will be right royally stuffed!

Have more sense sir!

Hargreaves Lansdown is a very good platform for share trading generally and you could set up an equity ISA to hold the shares if you haven't already used your 2022 limit, but a FTSE250 Index tracking fund would be a better bet IMHO.

The UK government can have the RoyalMail post/mail part, shareholders will be very glad, employees will be very glad. Royal Mail is a large negative value deducted from the GLS value to get to the IDS valuation. The Parcelforce part of RoyalMail probably is worth the IDS share price now, if only the government would be so kind to... Maybe the Tories like Kretinski so much they will take the mail part :) It is more likely that Kretinski will find a way to have the UK government subsidizing mail, but I am in the dark about his motives too.

Indirectly he probably is the problem, but he is the guy that got rich by buying coal mines and coal powered stations some years ago while everybody knew they had to shut because too dirty. And now in 2022 we use record amounts of coal, Kretinski is a strange problem :)

HL fees seem pretty reasonable to me. Where can you get the same service cheaper? (and please don't suggest e-torro or anything similar, I'm not about to trust my portfolio to jokers such as that)

Last edited:
For what exactly?

Being a credible and properly regulated stock broker?
For having properly ring fenced customer funds?

Bit of trouble over Woodford I grant you but even if they are adjudged to have given individual or generic advice outside of the regulations (which they claim not to have) they'll weather it, and even if they don't customer money is safe. Bottom line is the public will try an pin that sh1te on anybody they can irrespective of wrongdoing.

If you still aren't comfortable go with Vanguard!

I have actually done my homework

There's a reason I'm called Colas FIA

Check it out!

Last edited:
You really don't get cheaper than that for SIPP or self invested ISA! (or actually really any ISA or PP).

These people create a platform and provide a service, you can't expect it to be free!

Anyone who tells you it's free is lying and there's a scam somewhere!

i recall buying 600quids worth of marconi shares . a solid well known company . mmm think i got 60p for them in the end . RM will probably be the same once they have been renationalised

And the HL annual ISA fee is capped at £200. As my portfolio is into 6 figures it works out as less than 0.1%. That is dirt cheap.

Therein lies the lesson! If you buy shares you need to have a diversified portfolio.

My first experience was the work share option scheme. We all though we had it made investing to the max, expected the share options to pay off our mortgages within five years etc. Kept us locked in to a crappy failing firm and 3 years later it all turned to Sh1te and we got nowt!

I actually knew a quite lot of people with Marconi shares from options who all got stuffed when it went tits up and more recently a lot of colleagues who'd previously worked for the Lloyds banking group and had large holdings.

You really shouldn't keep large holdings of a small number of shares irrespective of how rock solid you might think the firm is.

The current "dogs" in my portfolio are Vodafone and Intel and I certainly thought I was pretty safe when I bought them. I'm sure Intel will come round hugely at W10 end of life since a lot of PC's will have to be junked at that point, and Vodafone will recover either because it becomes a takeover target or the new CEO does a better job so I'm holding on to both of them unless I need a capital loss to offset a gain.

advertisement

Back