advertisement

Buying Shares, for numnuts

graystoke4

pfm Member
Hi, i am in the market to buy some shares, as i have never bought any before, I'm looking for some advice.

I'm looking at royal mail, £10,000, i don't want to pay a monthly holding fee, just buy them and sell them in a couple of years.

Phoned up a broker , called Equiniti, yesterday, and the girl accent was so strong, Indian, i could hardly understand her, these are recommended buy royal mail, which doesn't mean a lot in my book,

thanks andy,

shares, HiFi what's the difference, i think this will do alright, (note do not follow my advice),
they are at £2, a share, when all this mess is over they will go up, :oops:

I use interactive investor, it works, they answer the phone (or they did last Summer), their website is clear and you can easily get something to show the accountant. I can't say if they offer the best deal.

Why Royal Mail? Do you think mail services will prosper in the next few years, compared with other forms of services?
Does RM pay a dividend?
Picking shares to buy is difficult and the unexpected happens constantly, so the usual recommendation is to not put all your eggs in one basket: get a small selection of shares in different industries/services.

can you afford to lose your investment?
This sounded like a joke, but it is the single most important question you have to ask yourself. If, after a total loss, you can still buy the car you fancy, then go for it. If you struggle with the idea of buying a Lada instead, then don't touch any shares.

Banks will *always* look for their own advantage. Whatever the guys at the bank advise you to do, they never forget the potential consequences for their employer.

If you enjoy the latent and permanent tension you experience when speculating, also at night when you can't sleep, then go for it. For me, this is total anathema. Also, don't forget that stock-market speculation can soon cause trouble with your partner in life, not only when you lose money. People often misjudge the amount of time needed for this sort of activity.

There's a website which will let you play for a while, you can have a pretend investment and you can track how its going.

But me, I'm interested in long term capital growth and what I've done is mostly just buy blue chip companies trading in London and forget them. Someday I may sell, I may die and never sell. I don't want to maximise anything, that's too much work and I don't know what I'm doing. So they just sit there, some of them have been sitting there for like, 40 years! And they seem to be doing quite nicely.

Oh the other thing I do, is I take no dividend in cash. I capitalise the dividends automatically -- buy shares with them. That's been a good way to grow holdings without worrying too much.

I feel, that during the covid spell, they where at £6 something, because of the strikes and trouble, they are now at £2, they will go up in the next two years, even if they go to £5 i will sell and get out, I'm not greedy, but even a hostile buyout will pay more than £2, a share, IMO,

yes royal mail paid out two dividends last year, a scandal,

so the ceo paying himself again,

mandryka, why would i need an accountant,

As PsB and mandryka advise. You could make up a list of shares, say 3 pharmaceuticals, 3 banking, 3 industrial, 3 oil/minerals/mining, 3 industrial like Siemens, BMW, whatever takes your fancy. Then go on Yahoo Finance, look them uo, and each one you look up will go into your "list" that Yahoo remembers. Then go and look at their performance in the past 6 months, 1 year, 5 years, and see what you think.

mandryka, why would i need an accountant,

You will need to declare any dividends, and any capital gains from sales. You might not need an accountant, especially if the income is small -- I use one because of my other businesses and because, if I didn't have one on my back, I would never complete the tax return on time! She keeps me on the straight and narrow.

What I think would be good, if someone knows of one, is a course for complete beginners about investments. Somewhere where you could learn about how to construct a portfolio, the fees that you pay, how to choose a broker, an IFA etc. I've searched a few times but nothing has ever come up.

i started out using ‘freetrade’ (app) for a bit of fun, got carried away thinking i couldn’t lose and currently have lost over half of my £9k that i put in, and it’s still going down…

maybe look at professional services who can invest your lump sum over a number of companies and hopefully get you a decent return?

thanks for the information,

but what i really need is a reliable safe way to buy shares, and not pay a holding fee, just buy them, pay a fee for buying, and sell them pay a fee for selling them in a few years,
i'm after royal mail £10,000, i have my brain set on this, i will make money in the next 2-3 years ,, as i say as soon as they hit £5-£6 im selling

the thing is the royal mail is to big, and to old for a buy out, DHL have looked and walked away, it would cost too much, to get us into the 21st century, if all fails the government will have to step in, and bail us out again,

as i say do not follow my advice,

Any numbnut with even half a brain and no real wish to lose would put their money in an investment fund. That reduces the hassle to "simply" choosing which one, but short of a trully mad choice, you are not going to lose over a few years.

For anyone who can't spell numbnut, the omens are not good if left to their own.......

thanks for the information,

but what i really need is a reliable safe way to buy shares, and not pay a holding fee, just buy them, pay a fee for buying, and sell them pay a fee for selling them in a few years,
i'm after royal mail £10,000, i have my brain set on this, i will make money in the next 2-3 years ,, as i say as soon as they hit £5-£6 im selling

Have a look at Freetrade and see what you think

@graystoke4
I don't understand.
On 29 October you wrote a long post starting "Hi all, as some of you know i am a postman, well we had a briefing today, about more actions taken against their own workforce, by the CEO, Simon Thompson" etc. It is clear that many of us support you and your colleagues in your fight for fair conditions and a fair wage.
Today you write "i'm after royal mail £10,000, i have my brain set on this, i will make money in the next 2-3 years ,, as i say as soon as they hit £5-£6 im selling".
Don't you see that the only way RM shares can increase like that is if the management screw you even harder? You would be literally betting against yourself!

@graystoke4
I don't understand.
On 29 October you wrote a long post starting "Hi all, as some of you know i am a postman, well we had a briefing today, about more actions taken against their own workforce, by the CEO, Simon Thompson" etc. It is clear that many of us support you and your colleagues in your fight for fair conditions and a fair wage.
Today you write "i'm after royal mail £10,000, i have my brain set on this, i will make money in the next 2-3 years ,, as i say as soon as they hit £5-£6 im selling".
Don't you see that the only way RM shares can increase like that is if the management screw you even harder? You would be literally betting against yourself!

Maybe he's hedging his bets?

I know this sounds bonkers, but with the shares so low, and the Uk needing us, i feel the share price will have to go up, yes a shit company to work for, and in big trouble , but, needed, for the uk to survive, the government can not let the royal mail go under, which it can, it will bring the uk to a halt, and that is not acceptable for the government, or the uk,

no post no business, simple,

I know this sounds bonkers, but with the shares so low, and the Uk needing us, i feel the share price will have to go up, yes a shit company to work for, and in big trouble , but, needed, for the uk to survive, the government can not let the royal mail go under, which it can, it will bring the uk to a halt, and that is not acceptable for the government, or the uk,

no post no business, simple,

Your reasoning is perfectly logical. But what makes share prices go up or down is simply, and only, demand for the shares on the open market. And this often follows other "logics" or factors. The so-called "experts" or "consultants" in banks are very good at explaining why a share price goes up or done, but only after the fact.

advertisement

Back