advertisement

Bugs Beemer

Huge silver rimmed sunglasses.
It suddenly hit me where I had previously seen this grille:

Sauron-Armor.jpg

Re. the grill, even the e-powertrains use liquid cooling so there is probably still a need for some form of radiator pack, also, the autonomous driving cameras and sensors need to be placed somewhere up the front swell.
There is still a need for cooling, but compared to the massive energy loss from an engine it's minimal. You can lose that into the cabin or blow it down inside the sills (Volvo used to do this as an anti corrosion measure, it worked a treat.) I think that car manufacturers just haven't yet got used to the idea that there is no longer a need for a grille and a transmission tunnel in EVs. I know that until recently there was still an EV with a shallow transmission tunnel as a carryover from the hatch. Now OK, part of that is to stiffen up the structure, but there are ways and means of dealing with that if you give designers a free rein and say "put the batteries where you like, the motors are on the wheels, the only constraints are the passenger cell and the safety regs". You might well end up with something like a VW bus, with no grille and no front engine bay.

Ooh good a new bmw bashing thread. Look at this fkn thing! I honestly think it's possibly the most ugly 'car' I've ever seen, even the shitest soviet lada is far better looking.

And it's -spits tea- "From £110,000". And furthermore it's in Doug Demuro youtube car buff chap's WORST 5 cars of 2024. What the c0ck are these designers on??!! Have thet taken leave of their senses?? Look at the proportions! Every single thing is a design-disater, every angle, making Homer Simpson's own ideal car design look better. Those stupid fkn headlights.. actually make me angry!!

Astonishing- bmw's in the 80's were elegant, beautiful things to aspire to being driven in let alone having one. FFS.

Capt
So, a sneaky admiration then…

Grill-less. Must have been an EV then:

iu
That's a clever design to get all the coolant air through a couple of small slots and a concealed grille under the bumper. Big engine to cool too, the 2.8. I always liked the blacked out lower half that was fashionable in the mid 80s, it was good looking and practical, my car at the time had a stonechip resistant paint below the waist.

So, why are modern day beemers a masterpiece compared to their predecessors? So, mind you they are still not very interesting to look at. So boring. Just so so......so much better out their

So, why are modern day beemers a masterpiece compared to their predecessors?
They aren't. The e9 and e24, 3.0 CSL and 80s 6 series respectively, are much prettier. So is the e30 3 series in a brutalist kind of way. The 90s 3 series coupes were great, as were the 5 series of the same period (e34, 39 iirc?). Even some of the Bangle cars weren't all bad.

so they are. So

Er.... well the whole point of the thread/ the opening post... is that in his opinion... they now LOOK revolting (& that they once were the very polar opposite... they used to look fabulous).

Aesthetics. Only.

This isn't some dumbass making a thread to comment in any way shape or form upon the driving experience, comfort, electronic wizardry on screens & computers, or clever suspension systems.

His pov in #1 is that it is ugly, from an onlooker's pov. It's either agree, or disagree. It really is that straightforward.

Capt

Yep, keep the airflow at the front and over the top of the car as smooth as possible.
I know that there are some counterintuitive things with car cooling, in some cases the high pressure area is under the engine bay so the air actually goes out of the grille rather than in. Most odd.

advertisement

Back