advertisement

Bugs Beemer

tones

Tones deaf
As I was pedalling home tonight, a new 7-Series BMW emerged from a side road in front of me and then turned on to the main road - and I got to see the thing's snout. I could almost hear it say, "Ehhhhh, was ist los, Doc?" What were they thinking of? It almost makes me say, come back, Chris Bangle, all is forgiven. I'm sure that, like all Beemers, it's a very nice car - and of course, if you're inside it, you don't have to look at it.

Alles ist vergeben? Going against the grain here maybe but I was sort of a fan of Bangles work. I had 3 One Series. Very Braun inside and I just really liked the shadow lines and subtle flared arches with squared off edges outside.

Miss this one the most. But of course, they went on to completely ruin it.

YHEvgPI.jpeg

From the side it looks OK, rather like a Polestar. The currently ugliest beemer is the X7.

Alles ist vergeben? Going against the grain here maybe but I was sort of a fan of Bangles work. I had 3 One Series. Very Braun inside and I just really liked the shadow lines and subtle flared arches with squared off edges outside.

Miss this one the most. But of course, they went on to completely ruin it.

YHEvgPI.jpeg
The first generation is often the best (first x5 long ago was far more elegant than the later ones on steroids). Liked the early 130i too.

That's my old 123d. The most powerful 4 pot Diesel engine ever made apparently (not that I really care that much about such things)

Tis one of the few things in life I regret selling though.

Teslas are fun but the interior is nowhere near as cockpitty as that car was

Ooh good a new bmw bashing thread. Look at this fkn thing! I honestly think it's possibly the most ugly 'car' I've ever seen, even the shitest soviet lada is far better looking.

And it's -spits tea- "From £110,000". And furthermore it's in Doug Demuro youtube car buff chap's WORST 5 cars of 2024. What the c0ck are these designers on??!! Have thet taken leave of their senses?? Look at the proportions! Every single thing is a design-disater, every angle, making Homer Simpson's own ideal car design look better. Those stupid fkn headlights.. actually make me angry!!

Astonishing- bmw's in the 80's were elegant, beautiful things to aspire to being driven in let alone having one. FFS.

Capt

From the side it looks OK, rather like a Polestar. The currently ugliest beemer is the X7.

As you say. From the side that new 7 is even a bit bland and understated. But the front, what a monstrosity!!!!!!!! Makes me happy I'm not in the market for one...

Ooh good a new bmw bashing thread. Look at this fkn thing! I honestly think it's possibly the most ugly 'car' I've ever seen, even the shitest soviet lada is far better looking.

And it's -spits tea- "From £110,000". And furthermore it's in Doug Demuro youtube car buff chap's WORST 5 cars of 2024. What the c0ck are these designers on??!! Have thet taken leave of their senses?? Look at the proportions! Every single thing is a design-disater, every angle, making Homer Simpson's own ideal car design look better. Those stupid fkn headlights.. actually make me angry!!

Astonishing- bmw's in the 80's were elegant, beautiful things to aspire to being driven in let alone having one. FFS.

Capt
An old friend had one of these:
640px-BMWE9CSc.jpg

in this very colour, simply one of the most gorgeous-looking road cars I've ever seen (and it went like a rocket). BMW has fallen a long way in the styling stakes since then. I realise that safety regulations and aerodynamic/fuel-saving considerations have played a part in the changed appearance of cars, but surely it doesn't mean that we need Bugs.

One(this one anyway) would think that, with the move to electric power and therefore the lack of need of a radiator grille of any kind, BMW could improve on this:

640px-BMWE9CSc.jpg

in this very colour, simply one of the most gorgeous-looking road cars I've ever seen (and it went like a rocket). BMW has fallen a long way in the styling stakes since then. I realise that safety regulations and aerodynamic/fuel-saving considerations have played a part in the changed appearance of cars, but surely it doesn't mean that we need Bugs.

One(this one anyway) would think that, with the move to electric power and therefore the lack of need of a radiator grille of any kind, BMW could improve on this:

That's a peach, & I believe dates from late 70's? Summat like that. But they were splendid looking, up to (I guess here) all of 40 years onward. I think it was around 2015, that very suddenly it seemed, they'd employed Homer Simpson as chief designer. The aesthetics dropped off like a cliff already.

Perhaps it coincided as you allude to, with the electric introduction designs, & with their characteristic grill as page 1 design start point kinda negated.. they got their german knickerbockers in a huge twist.

I loathe many modern designs, finding them all homogeneously amalgamating into a single suv stupid fkn thing, with stupid childish narrowed-mean-eyes headlights. I often look at my near 20 yr old golf mk4 (98k) & admire it's elegant & functional looks -far- exceeding most modern, ubiquitously huge it seems, design distasters.

Capt

I think the new 7 is a really impressive design.

When the pre-production prototypes were running around without badging and with camouflage tape, they really had a Rolls-Royce feel about them. That square shoulders thing.

They should probably have a new name instead of 7, but we've run out of numbers now.

Re. the grill, even the e-powertrains use liquid cooling so there is probably still a need for some form of radiator pack, also, the autonomous driving cameras and sensors need to be placed somewhere up the front swell.

Wait till you see them in a car park / multi storey.
Mostly impossible to get one into a standard space, way too long / wide.

640px-BMWE9CSc.jpg

sorry just doesn't do it for me

advertisement

Back