advertisement

Buffalo II - Assembly for the Electronically Bewildered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wait until you get your hands on the Tridents. Then pay him a revisit.

Also remember to shunt enough current in the Placid. Shunt enough to leave enough in the PSU itself.

The Tridents certainly make significant improvements, especially in the mid to low bass areas.

my feeling is that the Buffalo delivers a fully resolved kind of sound that transcends the old PRAT yardstick and is more musical, fluid and insightful, whilst being way less tiring on the old ears than Naim cdps of old.

I'm pretty much of a vinyl guy and have suffered through 25 years of soul-rending digital – until the Buffalo II. Finally, here's digital that's listenable and can even be compared with vinyl. I'd give the nod to the Buffalo II for bass and dynamics, but I still prefer vinyl for that organic "everything is right with the world" feeling.

At the rate the TPA guys have been improving the sound of digital, the day may be fast approaching when it'll be hard to justify a vinyl rig. Maybe it's already here – I still have to upgrade to the Tridents and an IVY III. ;)

The new Legato (3.1) is available on the TP website - but what's the difference between buffered and non-buffered please? I guess I'm gonna need two for dual-mono. Anyone interested in a just-run-in v.2?

It looks like i need some kind of subscription at Twisted Pair Audio ...
For 150$ a year one will get all new modules ;)

Thanks for the info. Ivo. I've posted a question on the TP website & Leon's give a pretty good answer; it seems the 2.1 Legato can be upgraded to the new spec. & as mine came with the upgraded trannies anyway, hopefully there shouldn't be too much I need to do to it.

But what's the buffered/non-buffered thing please?

As I have understood, the buffer only applies to SE, and the buffer is exclusive for the headphone out connector. Not that you can't use the headphone out for the connection to your poweramp.

But I haven't seen the schematics yes, so it's my "guess" only.

I have ordered the combo this morning (Placid HD and Legato 3.1).

edit - haven't seen Russ answering the same quest at diyA.

edit2 - just found myself asking Russ the same quest, and here's the answer:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/twisted-pear/183663-legato-3-look-ma-no-caps-8.html#post2517298

So I guess the diamond buffer applies to SE, whatever connector you use.

Does it mean, that if i am using only non balanced outputs i can take the buffer parts out ?

legato on order. I promise to build it stock and leave alone this time (repeat...)

Trying to resist ordering placid HD as well.

Don't you go playing that card you temptress you ;)

Cashflow. Inevitably I'll end up buying one, but need to try legato 3 with existing placid first.

Bahhhh...

Just order it. You'll need it anyway.

I'll pass my Legato 1.5 with Placid BP on to one of my Buffalo24. This way I'll justify my new bought - at lest to myself.

Update, my DAC is now ensconced in its luvverly new HiFi 2000 case. Installed in the system and sounding fantastic. I will be getting an LED for the lock circuit at some point but could not wait.

IMG_2387.jpg

IMG_2388.jpg

IMG_2389.jpg

C,mon James, you know that you need the new Placid :D Anyway, if you wait they will be out of stock when you try and order!!

Cheers

Inspired by this thread, I finally got 'round to replacing my IVY 2.0 with the IVY-III. It's a dramatic change! The III is much more analogy. Everyone is tapping their feet now, so overall the III is a clear winner in terms of PRaT and overall organic character of the sound. However, I find the sound to be a tad veiled and the HFs lacking in slap and shimmer.

Are there tweaks to the IVY-III discussed anywhere? I found the "In Praise of Legato" thread with loads of tweaks, but folks there describe the Legato as more mellow, so I think I'd better stick with the IVY-III. The only thing I can think to try is to play with the rail decoupling.

Maybe try tweaking the output filter like done with Legato? I found those 15nf Wima filter caps to over soften the sound in both Legato and IVY

Thought I'd go ahead & order a BP HD Placid, Buffered Legato (still not quite sure if I need the buffered bit or not...) & a couple more transformers. I just need another set of Tridents now!

I don't know what it is with me & TP but as I placed my order for the Placid HD they went out of stock; must have grabbed the last one.

I'm wondering if the BP HD Placid will power both Legatos - it should do, shouldn't it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back