advertisement

Buffalo II - Assembly for the Electronically Bewildered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just received some tridents this morning. Brian seems to ship them with the female headers included now i.e. removable without de-soldering. Excellent.

9 working days.

Posted on the 30th Mar, at JFK airport on the 2nd, arrived this morning in Birmingham.
probably our customs doing some faffing..

Got the tridents in and working well. Seems good so far.

Only thing is using a placid and one heatsink is getting very hot - pain to the finger after a second or so. Is this normal - will it damage the psu if left on too long?

settings @ 5.15v, about 490ma with ~40ma stable shunting r3 (over 20mins).
Ive ordered a placid HD pcb, might up-rate the heatsink on that build.

Hi Lucas, my Placid is 5.25v 490mA with 56mA shunting.
Placid is HD feeding Buffalo-III with Tridents.
QN1 is 61 degrees, QN2 38 degrees.
Like you QN1 gives pain to the finger after a second or so.

I don't know what is normal but 60 degrees is ok in my opinion, 75-80 and I would be getting worried.

I fixed my VDD 12v Trident btw
Tony

Hi Tony,
OK, well I just made a cup of tea and HS is not nearly as hot by comparison. Can actually hold my finger on the heatsink, though a bit painful, so I guess its around the 50-60. Very scientific eh...

Thanks for the reassurance
L

Well at 15 volt my Legato 3.1 draws 210mA per rail which seems at odds with the manual which states 310mA

Oooops, It was at 15 volt
I have edited the post.

Well I used the bench psu to get 7.5v t the S/PDIF Transceiver Module, checked the transceiver with a data stream and got all the green lights so then connected the transceiver to the Buffalo-III, mounted the Legato 3.1, hooked up to the pre amp and switched on.
I felt quite chuffed as its all worked and music was heard but there was a low 50hz hum so I powered down the amps and connected the B4 0v to earth, powered back up the amps and hum gone but the music had gone also at which point I no longer felt chuffed at all.
Just spent the last hour messing around and getting no were.
All leds are green except the dac mute.

Any ideas anyone.

Tony

Well the Buffalo seems to have a problem locking to the Transceiver even though the Buffalos lock light is on.
Repeated powering off / on of the transceiver managed to get a lock, well I got sound anyway so I am a happy bunny again.
SQ is not on the ball yet, hoping it needs some burn in.

Tony

I have the Legato 3.1 fully stuffed and are using single ended via the buffer to the PDs B4 via a 500mm interconnect.
Sort of thinking that I don't need the buffer stage, what are you guys doing with the buffer?
Does it get in the way of SQ?

Tony

Still working this morning, just so long as I don't switch off else its a pain to get it locked.

But other than that

WOW

Just out of interest I took the converter output paralleling jumpers out of the B-III to run just one converter per channel, and...

Well its quite dramatic to say the least.

Just need to get them back in parallel again, blimey they are fiddly

Sort of thinking that I don't need the buffer stage, what are you guys doing with the buffer?

Hallo Tony,

I left the buffers out at first and inserted them after a few weeks.
There was a little bit more bass-slam and punch afterwards, but this maybe also depends on your preamp.
Without the buffers the sound was a little bit on the thin side.

Regards,
Florian

Yes Florian, my preamp is either the Starfish or PDs B4, mainly B4 which is of course a buffer and both are easy to drive.
What preamp are you using
I think I will have to experiment a little more.

Tony

I used a air-guitariste pre then (a 321-gain stage clone without the buffer stage) , the Starfish or B4 are most likely better suited.

But don´t worry, it was not a big difference.

On the other hand, there was no downside when inserting the buffers.
I guess the opamp-buffer combination used in the legato is quite neutral sounding.
And there is nothing wrong with extra current.

Thanks, thats some classic diy kit you have there btw

Edit, I cut and pasted this Russ White snipit
Trusting it does not breach any AUP

"To reiterate, my advice is to get the buffers. There is never a scenario in which they will hurt anything. The only reason we offered a version without buffers was as a lower cost solution for people who may already have some other line stage or headphone amp downstage."

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back