advertisement

Buffalo II - Assembly for the Electronically Bewildered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Tony that regulator is a good price and nice small footprint also, a good find. It is not worth making one for that cost.
Thing is I went and pushed the button on the Single S/PDIF Level Converter Kit at $22 USD.
I think I can run this from the Buffalo III VD rails, It also has a pulse transformer included which my Transceiver Module did not, so I will be galvonicaly isolated.

Seems to work fine & makes life easier for someone like me who hasn't got much of a stock of parts.

Ha, your continued bodging will lead to a bigger stash of parts, its just a matter of time...

Did you go on the DIYA list for the Salsa Shunt regulators?

Tony

Thanks people.

I will get some 60/40 to practise with.My first project will be the psu for my SB Touch. There are lots of great resources on the internet as to how to do it. Initially I will of course work from kits.

Step 1: buy soldering stuff (almost done)
Step 2: read and practise on tiny project kit
Step 3: Practise some more and start SB Touch psu kit project
Step 4: A Hacker Nap (for my Avondaled Nac 62?)
Step 5: Buffalo III stereo DAC project (minus Tridents) w. Legato Output stage: populate TP boards
Step 6: Acquire Paul Hynes regs and psus - Paul Hynes kindly posted his Buffalo III and Legato kit lists on Audio Circle. Then attach everything
Step 7: Buy an enclosure (with all conectors and wire etc.) that will look like my Black Naim Boxes and put everything into it.
Step 8: Enjoy the music.
Step 9: Perhaps ... dual mono expansion of the Buffalo III ... use 2 x 3 psus on the Legato Output stage
Step 10: will I ever get this far and onto other projects?

Best wishes,
Peter

Ha, your continued bodging will lead to a bigger stash of parts, its just a matter of time...

Did you go on the DIYA list for the Salsa Shunt regulators?

Tony

I seem to have lots of parts, just not the ones I need at the time...

I had a look at the Salas, but couldn't quite figure out what I need from the spreadsheet. I'll have another look & see if I can make sense of it. guess I only want a couple of boards, nothing in mind for one at the moment, & my Wave IO board's now on its way to keep me busy for a bit!

Peter, if you are building a Buffalo III and not buying the Tridents you will have to provide your own Local voltage regulators Buffalo-III to function.
A flea could be used, there are others but they need to be wideband low noise regulators really. Tridents seem the obvious choice.

Tony

I seem to have lots of parts, just not the ones I need at the time...

I had a look at the Salas, but couldn't quite figure out what I need from the spreadsheet. I'll have another look & see if I can make sense of it. guess I only want a couple of boards, nothing in mind for one at the moment, & my Wave IO board's now on its way to keep me busy for a bit!

Be interested to hear what you think of this Tony. It's on my shopping list for when funds allow.

James

Tony
The Salas boards are sold as a set of three, two positive and one negative with v grooves between them to alow breaking them apart.
The boards are the Bib pcb

There are also a partial parts kit availble for them, a positive and negative kit.

However the kits vary acording to the voltage output level.
BJT -> Bipolar transistor
bjt+ minikit Low voltage <5 volts or so, positive rail.
bjt- minikit Low voltage <5 volts or so, negative rail.

IRF -> Field effect transistor.
irf+ minikit High voltage >5 volts or so, positive rail.
irf- minikit High voltage >5 volts or so, negative rail.

LV for low voltage. Salas discusses use of the BJT output (MJE's) in the BiB build guide. Something 5v in under fit into that category.
The IRF's need over 4v to even conduct, so they are not a good candidate for that aspect of regulation.

The LV kits can be used also for higher voltages, but are challenged more with higher impedance on the output. Always compromises.

I have no imediate use for them but thought to get a set for playing with.
I ordered one set of boards with BJT kits and and one set of boards with IRF kits below.
2 x BIB
2 x positive irf minikit
1 x negative irf minikit
2 x positive bjt minikit
1 x negative bjt minikit

May go daft and try a positive and negative board with IRF kits with the B4.

Tony

Peter, if you are building a Buffalo III and not buying the Tridents you will have to provide your own Local voltage regulators Buffalo-III to function.
A flea could be used, there are others but they need to be wideband low noise regulators really. Tridents seem the obvious choice.
Tony

Hi Tony.

I thought that PH regs for the Buffalo III would take care of that? On Audio Circle, Paul Hynes wrote:

"The regulator kit for Buff III is :-
3 of Z7803v3
1 of Z7803v3HP
1 of S1701v2LN
1 of PR3-05v4

The basic regulator kit for Legato is :-
1 of PR3-15
1 of NR3-15

Multiply these as required if separating the Legato power supplies.

If the regs from Paul Hynes are not replacements for the Tridents, I will clearly go for the Tridents.

Best wishes,
Peter

Bugger
Set the Placid to 500mA CCS and 5.25 volt, connected up to Buffalo III and one of the Tridents has an led out.

It has 0.33 volts across it and measure 0.36 in both directions with the multimeter set to diode test.

Tony

Tony, try to set it for ~550mA. I had the same situation, when i installed my Tridents. No sound and one of the Tridents LEDs was off.

Hi Tomek
Good idea but the Placid is holding 5.25 volt on its output, no sag and the led measures like a dead one.
I tried it anyway just in case I was having a moment. Still no worky.

I just measured my HD Placid feeding the DAC with V3 Tridents - i have 490mA, 30mA shunting and 5.35V just after turning on going slowly to 5.25V after ~10 minutes. I attached extra heatsink, because the delivered where to hot.

Thanks for the voltage checks, more or less how my currents and voltages are. This trident has never been powered before so probably a bad batch.
You increased the sink on the Placid, you have a part number?

Tony

You really don't need to increase the heatsink on the HD Placid. The standard ones cope just fine with running the Tridents.

PS, I've got two spare sets of Tridents. What one's playing up? I'll pop one in the post to you.

Thanks Tony
I never got to run the Placid for more than 10 minutes just to settle the voltage, the sinks were only just warm at that point. Once I found the dead Trident there was not much point in continuing. Its all jury rigged so not pretty and better out of her good selves sight.

I need a UK part number for the led, wanting to be sure and all that.
I have posted my first post on TP, hope to get a resolution.

If you want to get things up & running now you can remove the affected Trident & bridge over the relevant pad under the board so you can use the on-board reg.

Hi good tip but alas I have to do a temp supply for the Transceiver Module, make a coax, test the legato, wire up some din connectors etc so I am still a bit far from getting sounds, I was just doing this step by step, so far only one transformer, your placid and the Buffalo were connected. I wanted t see all the cool leds lit up :D

But on second thoughts this is a Buffalo III and I don't think there are on board linear regulators, looks like the Buffalo III has only a single on-board linear 3.3V regulator for powering the onboard microcontroller and the VD rails on the end connector.

Tony

Note to self - I don't have any spare 5 pin din connectors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back