advertisement

Buffalo II - Assembly for the Electronically Bewildered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Before you go ahead & order one, I'd drop the guy at Gigaworks an e-mail and ask if he's still doing the version with a separate power supply. It's well worthwhile getting - or if you're clever you can probably make one yourself of course.

The graphics are different but the box looks identical James. Likewise, the complete package looks basically the same. As it's all Teradac I'd be surprised if they're not identical to the one I've got inside.

The price seems to have undergone a bit of a hike though IIRC. Still a bargain for what it does though. A friend who was here yesterday has an "EVO" as well as a Teradac & he reckons they sound identical.

Just had the TP message that my Buffalo's on it's way. The other package with Placid HD BP, Legato 3.1 & transformer's "In Customs". Now I really need the Tridents...

My Legato 3.1 and Placid HD was released from customs (damn invention) yesterday and arrived here today.

As always excellent quality.

L3.1 is in and is working.

You with Placid's, remember to crank up the current, especially if you have the L3 with buffer (The L3.1). It's thirsty.

L3.1 is in and is working.

You with Placid's, remember to crank up the current, especially if you have the L3 with buffer (The L3.1). It's thirsty.

Hmmm....I wonder if the Placid HD BP will run any cooler than the old one. Otherwise my case may get very warm! 3.1 should be installed later today :D

Well, Legato 3.1 installed, I took the voltages down to 13v so overall current drain not too far off before, initial impressions are therefore based upon pairing it with the old Placid BP. Unfortunalely also by Stax headphone amp doesn't like the common mode DC bias on it's balanced input, so I have it hooked up SE now.

v3.1 certainly seems to have more 'grunt' than then v2, more immediacy and 'up front' presentation. So far with only an hour or so on it, I would say is a bit harsher souding than the v2, but more dynamic and digs out detail better. I'll put some more time on it tomorrow and let it burn in before final judgement.

Regards

Hmmm....I wonder if the Placid HD BP will run any cooler than the old one. Otherwise my case may get very warm! 3.1 should be installed later today :D

Initial rapport - it seem that the HD runs significant colder than the BP. I'm burning 400mA @ 15V leaving 160mA in the shunt itself.

I'm working on getting the Twisted Pair d/a system together for my Sony9000 but for the mean time-I'm coming off of the d/a (differential)through 1k resistors to legato to differential out.Do I need to keep the 1k resistors in circuit to protect d/a or can I remove it?Also-some whirl-like digital noise present between passages.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back