advertisement

Budget.

Blast the dust out, dollop of quick drying PVA and a dollop of quality stuff. Not these cheap b&q bags of stuff.

I don't envy the task, but I do hope some sense comes into it and proper strips of re-surfacing and in some cases whole new surfaces are used. I took a mixture of A, B and lesser roads to Heathfield from South East London yesterday and the damage to road surfaces is pretty bad.

Round our way there are potholes on the motorways FFS. Some of them are big enough that if you hit them at m'way speeds, could trash a tyre and wheel. In the dark, they can be hard to see far enough in advance.

£500 million for 50 million potholes is a tenner apiece. Bargain! Will they use toothpaste?

They’ll waste the under budgeted £500M on tar and some whacker plates whilst not bothering to seal the edges of any of the repairs, so in 2 years time they’ll need to spend 100m re-surfacing the even worse road surfaces..

This Budget proves that Labour did win the argument.
I’m not so sure. This is still an austerity budget. All the real money is for infrastructure. There was never any real argument about that, there was just the Tories saying it was bad and the media repeating it. Now the Tories are saying its good and they’re repeating that. The British public sphere isn’t capable of sustaining an argument, certainly not about economics.

I’m not so sure. This is still an austerity budget. All the real money is for infrastructure. There was never any real argument about that, there was just the Tories saying it was bad and the media repeating it. Now the Tories are saying its good and they’re repeating that. The British public sphere isn’t capable of sustaining an argument, certainly not about economics.
Yes, but spending to boost the economy is very Labour, very Keynes, and borrowing to fund the spending is the very thing the Tories have argued against for decades and especially argued against before the election yet are now doing not long after it

A budget that increases the public spending deficit is not an austerity budget by definition. "The government expects to borrow almost £100bn more in this Parliament (before mid-2024) than was expected the last time we had any forecasts." BJ has twigged how to win elections.

Yes, its like Keynes is moving amongst us.

Still not enough to please the likes of Seanlittlem and cancer exponent Armless.
Yes, it was the Keynesianism that struck me, and the borrowing. Though I’m sure trickle down will still rule in the end with the 1% getting the most from public debt and the 99% only getting crumbs in the short term and the bill in the long term

A budget that increases the public spending deficit is not an austerity budget by definition. "The government expects to borrow almost £100bn more in this Parliament (before mid-2024) than was expected the last time we had any forecasts." BJ has twigged how to win elections.
By adopting policies that were supposed to have lost Labour the election?

This is for investment. That’s good, obviously. But without massive boosts to public services and local authorities we’re still in austerity.

sorry it proves nothing of the sort. It proves that the tories grabbed the centre ground vacuum that Lab was incapable of grabbing due to Corbyn.
Not 3 months ago this was Venezuela, collective turnip farms, lumbering our grandchildren with impossible debt. Hard to see Liz f—ing Kendall coming up with it. Tories are combining it with National Front policies from the 1970s. “Grabbing the centre ground” is literally the last thing that’s going on here.

advertisement

Back