advertisement

Budget.

Mullardman

Moderately extreme...
Well so far he's giving loads away. Suddenly realised that borrowing is cheap.
Massive reductions in Business Rates.. but no clue yet how LAs are supposed to survive this.

Last edited:
Unless I missed it this doesn't cover small business' which is where most of the employment is. My wife moved just off the high street due to rents becoming ridiculous but pays a lot of business rates which she can't get help with.

If-and it’s a huge if-how will this go down with the right-wing press and party members?

It’s pretty much a Labour Budget and flies against almost everything every Tory I’ve spoken to believes we should do.

I suspect few believe that most of this is never going to happen. Or that the money will go right-into private hands while we pay the interest.

Stephen

Well so far he's giving loads away. Suddenly realised that borrowing is cheap.
Massive reductions in Business Rates.. but no clue yet how LA's are supposed to survive this.

Their borrowing rates have dropped too. And I don’t see my council tax bill in Bristol doing anything other than increasing at the max they can get away with year on year.
S
Guess they’ll weather the storm. Certainly never any sign of redundancies. Doing some positive stuff in social care too, plus they reseeded the grass on college green that was trampled I. The recent St Greta benediction.

And the sun is Shining.

Will check budget details later. Hopefully something good in there.

I see they softened their stance on Entrepreneurs tax relief (didn't take it away completely which is the right choice IMO)

Unless I missed it this doesn't cover small business' which is where most of the employment is. My wife moved just off the high street due to rents becoming ridiculous but pays a lot of business rates which she can't get help with.

Small business rates is deffo one very poor area of LA management. Higher rates just kill the high street, but LAs are relentless in enforcements.

Corbyn on his feet now- he’s nailing this pile of bollocks. A diminished NHS struggling to get funded from a flatlining economy. Britain has a quarter of the ITU beds per capita that Germany has. Coronavirus is the straw that’s going to break the Camel’s back

This is the sort of fiscal stimulus we should have had in 2010 and while it's welcome now it won't fix the damage done to the economy over the last 10 years.

Also Tories normally insist everything is a supply-side problem and refuse to address demand but now we have two genuine supply side problems (Coronavirus and Brexit) they suddenly go full Keynesian?

When fuel prices are low and falling, the tax is still being frozen for another year; that's a surprising bonus.

£500 million for 50 million potholes is a tenner apiece. Bargain! Will they use toothpaste?
I'd do it for 5 and make a great day's wage just in my street. I don't see why 10 is not enough to drop a dollop of tarmac or cement in a small hole and then squash it smooth. It's not like they will have to drive from one side of town to the other to do the next one.

I'd do it for 5 and make a great day's wage just in my street. I don't see why 10 is not enough to drop a dollop of tarmac or cement in a small hole and then squash it smooth. It's not like they will have to drive from one side of town to the other to do the next one.

Probably because that fix is largely the cause of them. (Bob beat me to it).

i saw lots for small business when i had a look on BBC - why do you guys think otherwise? £3k grant for those on small business rate relief (ie they dont pay it already but getting a bung) plus a load of additional easements that help small and medium business - finally we can replace a few of the charity shops in our high street with entrepreneurs who fall into the sub £51k RV bracket

advertisement

Back