advertisement

Bruno Putzeys on 'Real Science'

I am the only one who really doesn't give a f--- about this Bruno Putzey and whatever he says, makes or does. I see his name and zzz zzz zzz zzz zzz zzz ..........

No you are not alone but some like an authority figure to support their postulations.

Buy a cable now

Would you care to repeat your point for those of us who, like me, are a little hard of thinking today?

It's a reference to ex-boxer Frank Bruno, who was often interviewed by now-dead boxing commentator Harry Carpenter (or 'Arry as Bruno called him).

Oh dear. Try googling the phrase "know what I mean harry"

Sorry if I have offended anyone - especially if they are called Bruno....or Frank.

That is actually not true. Both the industry and the academia has actually spent a hack of a lot of time, resources and money to develop the scientific knowledge we have about electronics, acoustics, digital systems, transmission and above all human hearing and perception.

It's just that some people choose to ignore that body of knowledge.

Or to put it another way, 'subjectivism' will exist as a shorthand way of trying to explain situations without actually having to know or learn anything.

Exactly so.

To state that industry and academia don't take the time, trouble or put in the cash/resources to study these things is naive at best.

I know of one manufacturer who is currently trying to improve a design of a resistor destined for the signal path of specific audio components. They have so far invested over £150,000 on development on a single resistor design.

They are not alone. I know of several loudspeaker companies who have invested hundreds of £1000's on just one driver development.

There may be an equal number who simply throw things into boxes and make them look pretty fashionable and sound ok but that's not development; that's marketing.

Even small cottage industry manufacturers spend innumerable hours and (relatively speaking) significant expenditure on design and development. And these are people who know their stuff in the first place.

It sometimes amuses me where some people think all this hifi comes from...just magic'd out of the air or developed by people wearing white coats and huge ears?

It sometimes amuses me where some people think all this hifi comes from...just magic'd out of the air or developed by people wearing white coats and huge ears?

Professional engineers at major semiconductor companies design circuits, using technology developed through extensive (and expensive) research. These circuits are then combined with "audiophile" grade components by
"designers" who breathe magic pixie dust on the resulting product by their superior understanding of audio design - you can't really expect faceless engineers in big corporate labs to understand anything about the emotional content of music...

1613919_10152688419127678_698449201_n.jpg

I'm sure somewhere in here I saw Acryliacs and Interconnectology.

I found the interview interesting, although some of the technical stuff was over my head.
The fact, that when he worked at Philips some of his amplifier "improvements" where not used, confirms my suspicions that manufacturers only want to make equipment good enough to sell. The big companies especially, don't need to make improvements, when they can convince the buyer that they are buying cutting edge technology.

Wait.....You're saying....corporations...prioritize.....maximizing profit....over better product...???

Dude no. NOOOOOOOOOO.

http://nooooooooooooooo.com/

Hmmm - good catch: not been paying attention!

However, it's interesting how that thread plucks a 'conclusion' out of context and spins it into something quite different from what he's actually saying. Useful, perhaps, that he now speaks for himself in a more extended quote.

Much of it seems to have fallen on deaf ears. Meanwhile, elsewhere, progress quietly continues . . .
Audio engineering is, occasionally, a bit like real science.

However, it's interesting how that thread plucks a 'conclusion' out of context and spins it into something quite different from what he's actually saying.

Could it, just perhaps, be that we disagree about what he's actually saying?

I know of one manufacturer who is currently trying to improve a design of a resistor destined for the signal path of specific audio components. They have so far invested over £150,000 on development on a single resistor design.

Sorry to let logic spoil this for you. But the truth is, " there is a resistor manufacturer who may have spent a lot of money trying to improve a resistor design for mass market applications", there sure as hell is no resistor manufacturer who expects to make a return on 150,000 solely in the audio market.

Likewise the speaker brand, they may invest that amount of money in a line of drivers, or may invest it over decades in an ever changing single driver variant, but no one is selling the volumes required to invest that in a single driver, not Seas, not B&W, not anyone.

When Putzeys worked for Philips, and they were in the Hi-Fi business, this interview would have been built up to be the great step forward, and backed up with a large advertising campaign.
Now, we've heard it all before, and working for a small company, he will only succeed if his products are good.

Sorry to let logic spoil this for you. But the truth is, " there is a resistor manufacturer who may have spent a lot of money trying to improve a resistor design for mass market applications", there sure as hell is no resistor manufacturer who expects to make a return on 150,000 solely in the audio market.

Likewise the speaker brand, they may invest that amount of money in a line of drivers, or may invest it over decades in an ever changing single driver variant, but no one is selling the volumes required to invest that in a single driver, not Seas, not B&W, not anyone.

This thread is no place for reality :mad:

Nonsense. You don't have the facts, you just think you do. The manufacturer in question HAS invested those sums in a single resistor design. I didn't say that I agreed with them or that they stood to make a ton of cash from it, but they sure as heck have spent that amount, because it was their CEO himself who informed me just several weeks ago. As for the speaker manufacturer, ditto. R&D costs a hell of a lot more than you obviously think. Granted, they're probably extreme cases as I wouldn't expect those sorts of telephone numbers for run of the mill components; but we're not talking run of the mill in this case. Poor examples perhaps because they are probably far from typical. It was a point being made though that not every manufacturer is out to "rip off" the buying public. Heck, most people reading PFM these days would think that many members would like to see all manufacturers go bust or could do a better job themselves.

I like surreal science, the stuff that happens at superheated universe stuff before super structures and phase alignment happens. I guess the Greeks called it Kaos. "Real Science" is hugely assumptive, it assume we all play by the a set of observations that we assume happen all the time (or most of the time). I still think there is scope for irreproducible physical phenomenon the sort that happen to change the fabric of the universe and then leave no trace of their changing the fabric of the universe except possibly at the smallest possible level. I think that would piss off a lot of scientists and magicans alike. But would keep the mathematicians jumping for joy.

A big explosion that gets cooler and slows down until it trails off into heat death and eventual electron collapse is one of the worst let downs ever, marginally more enjoyable than Game Of Thrones' however.

Ps I skipped pages 1-3, looked like the usual tribes have set up camp, keep banging them rocks together. You may even get a ghastly poem out of it.

I like surreal science, the stuff that happens at superheated universe stuff before super structures and phase alignment happens..... I still think there is scope for irreproducible physical phenomenon the sort that happen to change the fabric of the universe and then leave no trace of their changing the fabric of the universe except possibly at the smallest possible level. I think that would piss off a lot of scientists and magicans alike. But would keep the mathematicians jumping for joy.
I'm not sure why you think mathematicians would be pleased about your idea. In any event it sounds to me like a sort of inverted theism, or to put it another way Unintelligent (un)Design Theory- the notion that the universe can only be explained by recourse to random pointless interventions which interfere for no reason with the clockwork universe.
Shame Douglas Adams is no longer with us or he might pick up the ball and run with this.

Nevertheless, I hope you can at least get some pleasure out of considering the possibility of imaginary time, which I hope is surreal enough for you
http://www.hawking.org.uk/the-beginning-of-time.html

Maybe I needed the [irony], [/irony] tags. There so many whacky scientifically postulated theories about time: the "everything happened at once and we perceive it as sequences" and so on. The holographic universe theory is to delicious not to like... We are completely ill equipped to even process the data we receive via our senses let alone extra dimensional phenomenon that we have no way of even possibly imagining how they might operate that unintelligent un design could be cobbled together by some cod-nutbar getting funding from Helsinki University handing in an Ikea assembly guide as his/her thesis.

I love how whacky the universe is at the assumed point of singularity. Science could be anything.

advertisement

Back