advertisement

Bruno Putzeys on 'Real Science'

ItemAudio

Trade: Item Audio
“Textbook theory” is very often just a shortcut. When people say something like “In theory, it should happen like this . . . ,” what they actually mean to say is, “In the very first approximation, on a basic level, this is how it should go.” That’s oversimplification, not theory. Real theory isn’t so simple.

It is like you say: in theory, cables shouldn’t make any difference. Well, hang on. Does that imply that you’ve actually looked at all of the established textbook physics that explains exactly what happens within a cable? I don’t mean “new physics,” like microdiodes or what have you . . . but, really, all the things you know happen when you, for instance, intersperse two conductors with a dielectric between them. How will that behave, for instance, when you actually put it up in a listening room and subject it to the vibrations that are caused by the speakers -- the triboelectric effect? Or just ordinary electromagnetic noise pickup from nearby mains cables? All these things are entirely known by physics and fully understood by theory. But the people who say that “in theory” it shouldn’t matter, they just look at one small corner in one particular textbook, where it doesn’t mention all these other things.

Usually, where theory and practice deviate, it just means that your theory hasn’t gotten into enough theoretical detail.

So far, I have not yet bumped into anything in terms of audible differences that I, or anyone with me, could hear that did not at some point connect with established theory and known physics -- by which I mean ordinary street-level physics, none of your fancy quantum stuff. You really do not need to invent laws of physics from a parallel universe to explain things. And you don’t have to excuse yourself to say that theory does not connect with practice. If you look close enough, you will find [the connection]. If practice and theory seem to deviate, you better have a sharp look at your theory.

I very often have to invent new measurements on the fly when I suspect there might be something going on that doesn’t show up clearly on standard measurements.

To give one example, you could take a DAC and do something very classical, like sweep the level of a sinusoidal signal from full scale to nothing, and then look to see how distortion changes with signal level. You might find some minuscule squiggles at lower levels and shrug them off as measurement errors, like, “OK, that is just the machine not correctly measuring noise.” But I got suspicious at some point and said, “Hang on, let me try to find explicitly whether something happens in the noise floor with the signal modulation, but then I have to do so without a signal present. How do you do that?” Well, you sweep a DC input to a DAC. You feed it a constant code, some small value, and measure the noise. Increase that code and repeat. Suddenly you’ll find that some of these D-to-A converters will do these frightening things, like the noise floor suddenly shooting up or an audible whistle actually just walking through the audioband as you sweep, going from supersonic down to zero and then back up. You have to be creative when you measure, not just do the standardized battery.

It’s a bit like real science. When you have a scientific hypothesis, what you do in order to make it stick is try everything you can to push it over, and only if it doesn’t topple, then it might be correct.

Same thing in audio -- if your hypothesis is that this particular D-to-A converter is a really good converter, then you’ll test it, and you’ll measure, and you’re actively going to look for bad news. If, after not finding any bad news despite how hard you’ve tried, then you can start to say this is probably good. That simple example shows that, very often, the standard measurements might simply cover something up that is very measurable and very glaring, but just happens to be under the radar of regular test methods. You might then have this DAC which listeners feel has a “shine,” that puts an unnatural shine everywhere, and then suddenly you find this noise modulation when digging deeper, and you realize that might be the answer for why.

It is my experience -- confirmed by every new thing I do -- that when you get into really high measured performance, really low distortion, superlow noise, then the ultimate subjective sound quality starts improving and continues to improve in step with the measurements. At some point you will find that a product that measures absolutely perfectly under an extensive battery of tests will sound a lot better than a product with more typical high-end audio performance that has been tuned by ear for years. The upshot is that measurements do matter. The way you should translate this into a development process is not to listen and tweak your circuits, but rather to measure and adjust, measure and adjust, and then listen. If, at that point, something sounds off or is not quite working, that tells you something about what and how you measure. You calibrate by ear your set of measurements and the methods by which you measure, but you optimize your circuit by measurement. That is much more logical. You should take science to the absolute limit and crosscheck your scientific, technical procedures with what you are hearing, to make sure you’re not forgetting anything. The purely technical road in the end will yield a circuit that really sounds better than what you can get by mere philosophy and tuning parts. Start shooting for fantastically low distortion, fantastically low noise.”

- http://www.ultraaudio.com/index.php...s-of-mola-mola-hypex-and-grimm-audio-part-one

I am the only one who really doesn't give a f--- about this Bruno Putzey and whatever he says, makes or does. I see his name and zzz zzz zzz zzz zzz zzz ..........

It is surely the case that science can answer all our questions, but not yet.....in our hobby, there is no real commercial (or academic) incentive to spend serious money on the issues.
Or to put it another way, 'subjectivism' will exist as a shorthand way of trying to understand situations until there is a lot more research.

I found the interview interesting, although some of the technical stuff was over my head.
The fact, that when he worked at Philips some of his amplifier "improvements" where not used, confirms my suspicions that manufacturers only want to make equipment good enough to sell. The big companies especially, don't need to make improvements, when they can convince the buyer that they are buying cutting edge technology.

Or to put it another way, 'subjectivism' will exist as a shorthand way of trying to understand situations until there is a lot more research.
Maybe. But mainly it's a way of ignoring science unless it comes out with the desired result. For example, exactly how much more established does it have to be that virtually no one can hear over 20Khz [and almost certainly no one who buys their own hifi]?

The science which has explained most of the allegedly unexplained phenomena is psychology. Don't expect physics to explain cat's piss deflectors.

It is surely the case that science can answer all our questions, but not yet.....in our hobby, there is no real commercial (or academic) incentive to spend serious money on the issues.

That is actually not true. Both the industry and the academia has actually spent a hack of a lot of time, resources and money to develop the scientific knowledge we have about electronics, acoustics, digital systems, transmission and above all human hearing and perception.

It's just that some people choose to ignore that body of knowledge.

Or to put it another way, 'subjectivism' will exist as a shorthand way of trying to explain situations without actually having to know or learn anything.

The fact, that when he worked at Philips some of his amplifier "improvements" where not used, confirms my suspicions that manufacturers only want to make equipment good enough to sell. The big companies especially, don't need to make improvements, when they can convince the buyer that they are buying cutting edge technology.

Philips has been into *consumer* electronics for the last 20 years. They know all too well that they need to meet a price point. Making the price of the product much higher while not providing more than a marginal improvement is fine for a niche player, but not for a company that wants to have a significant consumer market share.

I am the only one who really doesn't give a f--- about this Bruno Putzey and whatever he says, makes or does. I see his name and zzz zzz zzz zzz zzz zzz ..........

I have a lot of trouble taking most people called Bruno seriously - know what I mean `arry?

Whilst I do understand the skepticism of Hifi and science.... having heard one of his latest offerings, the man and his team are certainly onto something.

purity.png

Note that of all fields, only the biologist gets to play with an octopus.

Joe

When ever I have spoken with him he has always appeared pretty switched on, Grimm use the NCore amps in their LS1 loudspeakers and they are superb.
I look forward to hearing the new Mola Mola range.
Keith.

Adam,

I'm an expert of these matters, so trust me: the biologist is playing with the octopus. In fact, he's tickling it behind its ear.

Joe

At some point you will find that a product that measures absolutely perfectly under an extensive battery of tests will sound a lot better than a product with more typical high-end audio performance that has been tuned by ear for years.

That's an interesting assertion.

Almost as interesting as the author's name or scientific qualifications.

advertisement

Back