advertisement

Bristol Show 2024

Mullardman

Moderately extreme...
Anybody going?

I'm going with a pal. We usually get the train but this year the prices seem unacceptably higher, plus I really can't be arsed with the hassle of the train, the changes and the late arrival home, or the possibility of cancellations..strikes etc.

So, I've booked us a single night in the Travelodge at Filton. One room, two adults, two single beds! Don't mind sharing for one night. Under 50 quid.... and I'm driving. Overall cost is lower than train.

The idea is to spread our visit over 2 days, Friday and Sat, instead of trying to do it all in the one day.

Should get to Filton by 10: 00 a.m., but then not sure whether to drive into Bristol Centre and park up, or to park up in Filton and use taxis/buses. Difficult to get much info about Car Parking in Bristol, with conflicting reports /reviews about Multi Story CPs. Also, I have a Disabled Badge..which might open up other options.

Any views?

These shows are a truly ghastly experience with the jostling, lousy food and the equipment sounds only half decent. Also you have to feel sorry for the poor sales guys who have to constantly answer the same stupid questions from a bunch of nerds who reckon they know everything. I avoid the things like the plague.

I used to get the train to Chippenham and the train to T Meads, as you say now expensive and not worth the hassle, especially with the current ongoing farce. So will drive to north Bristol and get the bus to Broadmead.

If I go at all. Not sure it'll be worth it really. Last year the bar area was pretty horrid and the corridors were packed.

With a disabled badge you might get a space somewhere near the Centre.

Have recently moved to bristol so tempted to go along. Never been to a hifi show so not sure what to expect.

I expect I'll be going. Driving as usual & (trying to) park somewhere just off the M32 as you come into town, near what used to be Staples. Most years found somewhere free but last year found a car park for just £5 a day with about a 5-7 min walk to the venue.

These shows are a truly ghastly experience with the jostling, lousy food and the equipment sounds only half decent. Also you have to feel sorry for the poor sales guys who have to constantly answer the same stupid questions from a bunch of nerds who reckon they know everything. I avoid the things like the plague.
Sounds familiar. I went to one, the London Hi-Fi show at the Hammersmith Novotel in 1999 and never again.

Anybody going?

I'm going with a pal. We usually get the train but this year the prices seem unacceptably higher, plus I really can't be arsed with the hassle of the train, the changes and the late arrival home, or the possibility of cancellations..strikes etc.

So, I've booked us a single night in the Travelodge at Filton. One room, two adults, two single beds! Don't mind sharing for one night. Under 50 quid.... and I'm driving. Overall cost is lower than train.

The idea is to spread our visit over 2 days, Friday and Sat, instead of trying to do it all in the one day.

Should get to Filton by 10: 00 a.m., but then not sure whether to drive into Bristol Centre and park up, or to park up in Filton and use taxis/buses. Difficult to get much info about Car Parking in Bristol, with conflicting reports /reviews about Multi Story CPs. Also, I have a Disabled Badge..which might open up other options.

Any views?
Hope you dont snore very loudly. Other than that, it sounds like great fun - please do a report about the event.

These days I just attend via YouTube. I’ve so little interest in modern hi-fi I can usually spot market trends/marketing desperation well enough from the nice chilled-out covid-safe location of my sofa.

I also resent having to pay to get into these events (obviously I can personally get in free if I ask in advance due to being trade/press, but that is not the point), I just think it is conceptually wrong to pay to meet salesmen and that irks me! The WigWam/Maverick show is obviously a different thing, I‘ll very happily pay for that.

Anyway I’m hoping the MyHiEnd guy turns up as his videos just feel like being there minus the meeting friends in the bar/stealing exhibitors biscuits and sweets bit.

PS Here’s the YouTube channel, he seems to go to everything across the world so I’d expect him to be there!

Some interesting responses. I'm pretty sure I've said before that I see shows as more a day out, than a serious mission to seek out potential purchases. And anyway.. barring accidents, my system is finished and I'm happy with it. I don't recall ever having to jostle...

It's true, most sounds are pretty poor, food is something of a lottery etc.. but I still find it enjoyable. Even the 'Nerds' mentioned by Mick are quite funny. The know all types amuse, the ones who sit tugging their beards with a faux expression of deep concentration and analysis on their faces, to the know all types ( some of them salesmen) who loudly and disdainfully declare 'You have a what?..I thought you said you liked music!!!?" Straight out of the classic Smith and Jones sketch..

But mostly, I'm still trying to weigh up whether to park up at the Travelodge, or in Bristol Centre, or even somewhere between. Disappointingly, it seems a bus from the Travelodge to the centre takes nearly and hour!

As I said above, I have a Blue Badge, which according to Bristol City Council entitles me to park all day for free in on street Pay and Display, but actually finding out where on street parking actually exists is not easy.

Can any locals name any streets or areas close to the show venue where such parking exists?

Last edited:
I stayed at the Filton Travel lodge last year.

Room was cold

Breakfast OK

They never did any housekeeping so beds never made and towels not refreshed etc (I was there 3 nights).

I'd pay a bit more and go somewhere better next time (if there is a next time).

What I did find out is that you can drive to and park at Patchway station (for free) and get the train in from there but the fare is pretty pricey.

The busiest day was the Friday and least busy was the Sunday.

Also based on what happened last year definitely don't buy a ticket in advance!

There was a lot of seriously expensive kit on show but very little I'd have any interest in actually buying so I'm not 100% sure I'll be going again this year.

There really wasn't much in the way of either affordable kit or for that matter many poor sounding rooms.

Ah yes and the Donner Kebabs at the Patchway kebab shop are pretty good.

Anybody going?

Any views?
Consider that there is the dreaded congestion charge?

last time a very sad accident happened outside to one of our number , they tripped over a very very bad uneven paving slap outside and caused a very nasty injury to their eyes if i recall

I go most years. Will be going on Friday and staying over to Sunday, coming back probably early afternoon. Two nights eating and drinking in Bristol with some hifi mates, what’s not to like!

@Mullardman, Filton is quite a way out of the city so travelling in will either be time consuming, or pricey, or both. So I’d drive in and use your blue badge. There are big multi-storey car parks at Broadmead and Cabot Circus which are about a 5 minute walk from the venue (forget the one next door to the venue, fills early on with exhibitors). They’re not cheap, but not sure whether your blue badge gets you concessions?

Going Sunday with friends.

We last went twenty five year ago.

Exposure, Kudos and DS Auido major interests.

Bristol is a fantastic city to have a day and night, adding a hifi show is also great fun. Pre COVID I did over 10 years visiting for work. It was my little jolly, I had a few meetings shook a few hands and expensed the lot. Happy times sadly no longer working in this area.

advertisement

Back