advertisement

Bristol Hifi Show 24to to 26th Feb 2023

Again does anyone know what the equipment was Rogers used for this dem ? Especially the sub.

thanks

they used this i think . best sound of the show imho

https://www.rogers-hifi.uk/rogers-ab3a-active-subwoofer-system

The LS3/5A* just got a serious performance upgrade.
The NEW Rogers AB3a is an infinite baffle active stereo subwoofer system specifically designed for use with the LS3/5A.

The configuration is the same as the original award-winning Rogers AB1, where each subwoofer functions as a stand for the partnering LS3/5A.

Each active subwoofer utilises two Rogers LS3/5A bass units. Each bass unit is mass loaded with a specific resin to lower the resonant frequency and stiffen the bextrene cone. Stiffening the cone dramatically improves the low-frequency definition and bass attack of the subwoofer system, greatly enhancing low-level spatial detail.

*AB3a will work with all LS3/5A speakers.

The LS3/5A* just got a serious performance upgrade.
The NEW Rogers AB3a is an infinite baffle active stereo subwoofer system specifically designed for use with the LS3/5A.

The configuration is the same as the original award-winning Rogers AB1, where each subwoofer functions as a stand for the partnering LS3/5A.

Thanks. like the sound of that and would love to hear them with my Stirling LS5/5a's.
But 3.5K !! Even at half that price its still out of reach. Oh well, sounds like whoever heard them really rated the Rogers room.

Just back from day 3 - I only stayed half the day to mop up things I'd missed

Harbeth experimental active speakers were worth the wait. Way better than anything else they had there. Obviously no idea on pricing but on the radar.

Audionote - finally got in to the room and got a decent seat. Been packed until today. Very acceptable system.

Rel - First time I've heard the Kef blades and they're not too shabby, but clearly need to be improved by adding two enormous REl Subs.

Isotek - oh no it might not all be foo. I thought I heard a difference.

Arcam - fabulous AV system, all I need is my own cinema to accommodate it, can't see how any normal domestic user would be able to though.

Iso acoustics - seemed to have some speaker decoupling thingies which replace the floor spikes. Very noticeable difference with two identical pairs of triangle speakers which I think was positive. Have to say a lot of rooms were using triangle speakers, and I've never previously liked them, but all seemed to be doing a good job this year, particularly the ones in the Manley room.

SVS/Primare. Good sounding AV system but all went a bit "pete tong" when they put on the opera sample. It doesn't matter how good the A and V are if they don't work together, and the lip sync (or lack of) was a total shocker.

Harmon Kardon - not at the megabucks end but a really decent and fairly practical matrix AV system with soundbar that had rechargeable battery powered rear pods which could be detached when in use and were wireless. Won't need to rip the ceiling down and rewire the room after all!

Kog - well the new ES14's seemed fair to middling but look and sound nothing like the originals really.

Voxativ - one of the worst sounding rooms in the show for me. Whizzer cones? really??

Don't believe everything you read on t'internet.

1120pmc.lab1.jpg

Fp0vIhkWYAQqBCl
Not great at reading graphs, what is this one telling?

Just come back from the show - my first ever outing at one of these. Is it just me, most of the sound in the bedrooms seems to emanate from very high, almost like it was coming from the ceiling? Not what I expect from a pair of speakers. The rooms, in the main, seem to be a poor environment to listen to the wares - lots of flutter echo, glaring treble, poor imaging (though to be fair some of the seats I used were not going to be good for imaging). Is this the norm for these things or was this a particularly bad location?

Nevertheless, interesting and enjoyable day. I liked the Lyngdorf Roomperfect A/B demo, it really showed what their system was able to do in a poor room. Tamed and tightened the bass bloom as well as vocals and piano seemed less muddled.

think it was 6k with both units . worth every penny imho !!!

the qualio were good too

This was the stand out sound for me. Previous years I’ve been impressed with the PMC demos above all else, but boy oh boy, did these Qualio IQ loudspeakers sound superb! Quirky looks for sure with the hybrid open baffle and relatively wide cabinets, but every type of music played on them sounded utterly dynamic, open and musical. Can’t believe I nearly wondered past this room, which meant I’d have missed out on the most enjoyable experience of the show.

These may well displace my existing loudspeakers, which I’ve enjoyed unconditionally for the last 6+ years of listening and had no intention of changing.

Just back from day 3 - I only stayed half the day to mop up things I'd missed

Harbeth experimental active speakers were worth the wait. Way better than anything else they had there. Obviously no idea on pricing but on the radar.

Where the Harbeth bookshelf size?

Hello Guys

I just uploaded the video report from the show. Needed to edit some parts due to copyright blocks, but still there is nearly 2 hours of material :)

Thank you very much for the great show.

Thank you a thousand times for this, Grzegorz. I desperately wanted to go round the show but never could as I felt I needed to be available in my room unless I was eating something to keep me going. I came back into my room as you were filming but fortunately I stood back and am not in the film.

You have done a great job of documenting the show with steadycam and good mics and it really feels like walking round myself. Thank you.

The Qualio speakers look very pretty and I wish I had heard them in the flesh.

Not really. Absolutely superb. 6 amplifiers, DSP, no internal/analogue Xover. - So coherent to listen to.

20230225-113311.jpg

20230225-113319.jpg

What day did you listen to them? I was there Friday..... Alan Shaw posted on his forum, that after the first two days.. They decided to switch back to the passive crossovers which were also in the box.

I'm not sure if they made this clear to people on Sunday, but it sort of defeats the point.

Reactions: RoA

advertisement

Back