advertisement

Brexit: give me a positive effect... VII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Festival of brexit money to be redirected to provide meals for hungry children.

Er...

No, I lied. No one believed me, did they? These are the tories after all...
https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/br...festival-organisers-millions-in-funds-6443738

Would think a poll in a high leave area with greater numbers might give a better bell weather of where people are at. In reality everything is the same until January. Von der leyen is making reality check noises. Coupled with your link to gov. reports of what to expect no doubt the Eaton idiots still think they can bluff their hand. The Brexit voters must feel very comfortable having folks like them watching their backs. Bojo, Mogg, Patel, Hancock are who you would want watching your back as you are sent over the trenches.(Might as well embrace the Brexit WW3 rhetoric and ramble rousing)

https://www.rte.ie/news/brexit/2020/1125/1180328-brexit/

LOL at this weasel quote:

“As a responsible government we continue to make extensive preparations for a wide range of scenarios, including the reasonable worst case. This is not a forecast or prediction of what will happen but rather a stretching scenario. It reflects a responsible government ensuring we are ready for all eventualities,” a spokesperson said.

No, a responsible government would never have got us into an insane no deal cliff-edge you f-ing moron.

Would think a poll in a high leave area with greater numbers might give a better bell weather of where people are at. In reality everything is the same until January. Von der leyen is making reality check noises. Coupled with your link to gov. reports of what to expect no doubt the Eaton idiots still think they can bluff their hand. The Brexit voters must feel very comfortable having folks like them watching their backs. Bojo, Mogg, Patel, Hancock are who you would want watching your back as you are sent over the trenches.(Might as well embrace the Brexit WW3 rhetoric and ramble rousing)

https://www.rte.ie/news/brexit/2020/1125/1180328-brexit/
The EU have December 28th penciled for Brexit ratification. While they are together they can maybe sort out the 1.8 trillion Euro mff and prop up grants and loans that need to be agreed by the end of the year.

LOL at this weasel quote:

No, a responsible government would never have got us into an insane no deal cliff-edge you f-ing moron.
Macron has his hands full beating up the homeless in Paris. It is maybe practice in the event of a nodeal where he will find farmers, fishermen and the unemployed are not so easy to control. As a forward planning measure he is pushing through a law for reporting restrictions on police carrying out their duties.

I have a feeling that it is because they want to live in FREEDOM from a country which has not only messed a bit with the internal corruption (a.k.a finances) of Greece, but with the internal affairs of half this planet.

I've been waiting for you to add the qualification 'Just joking!', but I think I might be waiting in vain.

OK, you've lost me a bit on the Greek internal corruption thing, but where do we start with the rest? Lets begin with Scotland, which between about 1700 and 1850 went from being one of the poorest nations in the world to one of the very wealthiest. The Act of Union was in 1707, but let's set that aside. Scotland's wealth, and most specifically that of her main port City of Glasgow, was built on sugar and tobacco. The latter was, at about 50 years prior to 1776, when the Virginian tobacco plantations were lost to those pesky ex-colonists, the shorter but more rapidly lucrative of the two, creating untold wealth for the City's traders, who built themselves fine Palladian style mansions within the city, and established graceful and extensive estates beyond it. The latter lasted much longer, perhaps 200 years, and involved virtual Scottish annexation of the islands of Jamaica (surveyed in its entirety by Scots) and St.Kitts, and later Grenada itself and the chain that is now referred to as St.Vincent and the Grenadines, those of the Windward Isles not exploited by the French, Antigua, Trinidad & Tobago, Dominica, and on the mainland what was until its independence British Guyana. In the 50 years from 1750 thousands of young men travelled from Scotland to seek their fortunes in the Caribbean, where they became merchants, magistrates, doctors and plantation owners and managers, and freely availed themselves of the services of the brown-skinned chattel slaves who were their charges. It is said that there are more Scottish names in the Jamaican telephone book than any other, and there are more Campbells per head of the population than there are in Scotland itself. Place names such as St.Andrews, Montrose, Dundee or Fort William are to be found throughout the region.

The Indian sub-continent was of course governed until the early 19th century by the primarily English-owned East India Company, but its roster of employees will be found far from innocent of Scottish names, as indeed was the case of the entire empire. Scotland is very, very far from being the victim of British colonialism that it popularly likes to paint itself in these days of SNP miserabilism. Neither are the Welsh - whose nation status anyway rests upon mythology to an even greater extent than Scotland's - innocent of playing their part in the adminstration of empire, indeed far from it. The Irish of course were, as they provided much indentured labour in the colonies, but then they have long departed the tyrannical embrace of England, and already have their FREEDOM (except from the not always exactly benign embrace of Brussels, but we shouldn't mention that).

Last edited:
Macron has his hands full beating up the homeless in Paris. It is maybe practice in the event of a nodeal where he will find farmers, fishermen and the unemployed are not so easy to control. As a forward planning measure he is pushing through a law for reporting restrictions on police carrying out their duties.
How is that a brexit positive, as per thread title? Just zero relevance. Why don't you post some positives, or STFU or FTFO.
Jesus, timewasting cr4p.
Positives, brexit boy, some fvcking positives.
Or at least have the grace to come clean and say there are none.

I've been waiting for you to add the qualification 'Just joking!', but I think I might be waiting in vain.

OK, you've lost me a bit on the Greek internal corruption thing, but where do we start with the rest? Lets begin with Scotland, which between about 1700 and 1850 went from being one of the poorest nations in the world to one of the very wealthiest. The Act of Union was in 1707, but let's set that aside. Scotland's wealth, and most specifically that of her main port City of Glasgow, was built on sugar and tobacco. The latter was, at about 50 years prior to 1776, when the Virginian tobacco plantations were lost to those pesky ex-colonists, the shorter but more rapidly lucrative of the two, creating untold wealth for the City's traders, who built themselves fine Palladian style mansions within the city, and established graceful and extensive estates beyond it. The latter lasted much longer, perhaps 200 years, and involved virtual Scottish annexation of the islands of Jamaica (surveyed in its entirety by Scots) and St.Kitts, and later Grenada itself and the chain what is now referred to as St.Vincent and the Grenadines, those of the Windward Isles not exploited by the French, Antigua, Trinidad & Tobago, Dominica, and on the mainland what was until its independence British Guyana. In the 50 years from 1750 thousands of young men travelled from Scotland to seek their fortunes in the Caribbean, where they became merchants, magistrates, doctors and plantation owners and managers, and freely availed themselves of the services of the brown-skinned chattel slaves who were their charges. It is said that there are more Scottish names in the Jamaican telephone book than any other, and there are more Campbells per head of the population than there are in Scotland itself. Place names such as St.Andrews, Montrose, Dundee or Fort William are to be found throughout the region.

The Indian sub-continent was of course governed until the early 19th century by the primarily English-owned East India Company, but its roster of employees will be found far from innocent of Scottish names, as indeed was the case of the entire empire. Scotland is very, very far from being the victim of British colonialism that it popularly likes to paint itself in these days of SNP miserabilism. Neither are the Welsh - whose nation status anyway rests upon mythology to an even greater extent than Scotland's - innocent of playing their part in the adminstration of empire, indeed far from it. The Irish of course were, as they provided much indentured labour in the colonies, but then they have long departed the tyrannical embrace of England, and already have their FREEDOM (except from the not always exactly benign embrace of Brussels, but we shouldn't mention that).

Quality Googling...to what end I'm really not sure.

Good to see that Scotland got all the benefits of Empire and England didn't...:rolleyes: Certainly many Scots out into the Empire to make their fortune...there were few opportunities at home.
I believe the Scottish regiments, being among the most ferocious and disciplined, were used by the Empire in their various campaigns as shock-troops

I always say, if you want to know about the Scottish, and the English working-class experience generally, ask a UKIP-lite home counties based wine merchant. Their expertise is unrivalled.

Quality Googling...to what end I'm really not sure.

Good to see that Scotland got all the benefits of Empire and England didn't...:rolleyes: Certainly many Scots out into the Empire to make their fortune...there were few opportunities at home.
I believe the Scottish regiments, being among the most ferocious and disciplined, were used by the Empire in their various campaigns as shock-troops

I always say, if you want to know about the Scottish, and the English working-class experience generally, ask a UKIP-lite home counties based wine merchant. Their expertise is unrivalled.

Pretty straightforward, the OP was expounding the virtues of the break up the Union on the basis of freedom from a country that 'interfered with the internal affairs of half of this planet'.

I was merely pointing out the historical illiteracy of his remark.

You know this. Why am I having to explain it to you?

Pretty straightforward, the OP was expounding the virtues of the break up the Union on the basis of freedom from a country that 'interfered with the internal affairs of half of this planet'.

I was merely pointing out the historical illiteracy of his remark.

You know this. Why am I having to explain it to you?

I'm well aware of all the great and less great achievements of the English and their Empire, EV. One of my kids is even quoting Newton frequently and I'm quite an Anglofile if I may give that qualification to myself. The point is that there does not have a reasonable economical reason to be independent. Freedom is without price and can go against reasonable arguments. You should know that as hardcore Brexiteer, and I respect that.

Thinking about it ... Newtons law number 3 every action comes with a reaction. Very applicable to this topic.

Sure, but you didn't offer an economic argument, and you didn't offer no reason at all, and least of all did you offer a cultural or emotional one. You very specifically stated that dissolution of the union was justifiable on the basis of the fact that it would offer freedom from a tyrannical union of which the 'liberated' entities had themselves been part and very active party . I'm sorry, but that is simply illiterate.

It isn't a classic way to express Anglophilia either, for that matter.

These are untrustworthy callous Tories who put themselves above the country or the EU Seeker. Good luck trying to negotiate with tools like that.

AIUI, CETA wasn't agreed until almost the last minute. Were Canadian politicians untrustworthy and callous tools? I don't think they were. So what's the common factor?

Sure, but you didn't offer an economic argument, and you didn't offer no reason at all, and least of all did you offer a cultural or emotional one. You very specifically stated that dissolution of the union was justifiable on the basis of the fact that it would offer freedom from a tyrannical union of which the 'liberated' entities had themselves been part and very active party.
I thought that was a reasonably fair paraphrase of a significant chunk of your Brexit position, EV?

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back