advertisement

Brexit: give me a positive effect... VII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brian, our exchange is now becoming a waste of bandwidth. You’ve just retreated into your usual ‘it doesn’t deserve a considered response’ mode, so I’ll just leave the exchange at that, and people can take what they want from it.
You could have allowed your mate to speak for himself rather than take offence on his behalf. He could even have explained why his comparison was valid rather than just making it as though gospel. Clearly it would be accepted by hard remainers, given the EU can’t be criticised in any way here.

Anyway, I’m not retreating into anything. I’m sure other hard remainers will agree with you, agreeing with each other on everything is the default, after all.

I can give you a first-hand experience of having lived in Portugal through the '80s, '90s, 00's and half of the '10s. You won't be able to Google it. It complements the story to make up the bigger picture.

It hasn't been all roses – corruption and machination and interference by the big boys – but the balance is very positive, at least 80/20. You've been to Portugal then and now, you may actually have seen some evidence.
In my view there could have been a bit more of a nanny-stateness or "give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime" attitude from the EU but I think that you would actually object to that sort of vassalage. The overly-optimistic conversion rate of the Escudo to the Euro was set by the Portuguese Government of the day as was the Negotiation of Common Fisheries and Common Agriculture Policies. Likewise with the strategic investment of funds (this changed later, for the better in my view). Mistakes were made from both parts but overall things have improved immensely.
I’ve spent time in Malta from the late 70’s and it’s a very different place since joining the EU.

You could have allowed your mate to speak for himself rather than take offence on his behalf. He could even have explained why his comparison was valid rather than just making it as though gospel. Clearly it would be accepted by hard remainers, given the EU can’t be criticised in any way here.

Anyway, I’m not retreating into anything. I’m sure other hard remainers will agree with you, agreeing with each other on everything is the default, after all.
Since when did you get to make the rules on who gets to comment about what?

And I don’t see you taking your own advice much, either.

Steve's point is that within the UK we also have 'widely out of sync economies, often to the detriment of towns such as those he mentions. His point as I read it, is that if you're going to criticise the EU, you need to acknowledge that the same situation pertains domestically, and leaving the EU doesn't fix that. (It doesn't even offer a mechanism to fix it that wasn't always there anyway).

So criticising the EU and ignoring the domestic iniquities is at best applying a double standard, and arguably disingenuous because we could always have put our own house in order anyway.
Precisely. The differences in economies between London and Liverpool are far more significant than those between Bordeaux and Bari, yet the Brexiters would have us believe that the economic differences across Europe make the EU an impossibility. Yet apparently the same doesn't apply to England. It's apparently OK to have terraced houses in Liverpool for sale for £1 when nothing similar in even outer London is below £300k.

One nation eh?

Precisely. The differences in economies between London and Liverpool are far more significant than those between Bordeaux and Bari, yet the Brexiters would have us believe that the economic differences across Europe make the EU an impossibility. Yet apparently the same doesn't apply to England. It's apparently OK to have terraced houses in Liverpool for sale for £1 when nothing similar in even outer London is below £300k.

One nation eh?
Is it? Who are you speaking for?

Do you think a significant number of the 17.2m who voted to leave the EU give a shite about the price of a house in Liverpool versus a house in outer London?

Brian, our exchange is now becoming a waste of bandwidth. You’ve just retreated into your usual ‘it doesn’t deserve a considered response’ mode, so I’ll just leave the exchange at that, and people can take what they want from it.
Brian is the Bellows Rock of political threads. He’s capable of luring any passing ships to destruction where they’re ground down by great crashing waves of incomprehension.
Carping again, as usual.

Explain why 40 seats fewer for Labour in Scotland does not make it more difficult for Labour to win a UK GE in the FPTP system.
Its like trying to explain fog to a labradoodle.

One nation eh?

Pure Rubbish, Utter tosh. What's that got to do with anything. What about the 17.1m who voted Brexit. :p

Brian is the Bellows Rock of political threads. He’s capable of luring any passing ships to destruction where they’re ground down by great crashing waves of incomprehension.

Its like trying to explain fog to a labradoodle.
This looks like a rallying cry to your acolytes. Don’t worry, Hughie, they’ll turn up.

In the meantime, how does Labour losing 40 seats in Scotland help dislodge the tories at a GE? Go on, have a go at it.

I think I preferred it when Brian pretended to ignore me.
Yes, the comfort blanket agreement of the echo chamber is so much nicer.

In the meantime, how does Labour losing 40 seats in Scotland help dislodge the tories at a GE? Go on, have a go at it.

Some of those SNP seats were taken off the Tories, and the other seats were traditional SNP seats or taken more recently taken off Labour.
The SNP are just as anti-Tory as Labour (perhaps more so), so the anti-Tory forces in parliament are enhanced.
Easy to understand if you’re not thick as mince.

As I’ve told you before, don’t blame the SNP for Labours failings. Look at Labours failures in England for their current predicament. Can’t imagine why you are complaining tbh. I thought you viewed referendum and election results as sacrosanct and anyone who complains about the result is a moaner. Does that make you hard-Labour?

This looks like a rallying cry to your acolytes. Don’t worry, Hughie, they’ll turn up.

Yes, the comfort blanket agreement of the echo chamber is so much nicer.
When we try to explain to you, the response is always heavy overuse of the [?] key and or incoherent emojis. You’d be far better asking your geographical neighbours to stop voting Tory. Tory England means Tory Brexit Brian. Have you noticed how much control you have at generating these situations? You get several people simultaneously set up then you turn the thread to your favourite subject- Brian. You post the same incoherent nonsense repeatedly in a passive aggressive manner then claim you are being ganged up on. What’s more worrying is that it seems to be totally out with your awareness.

Pure Rubbish, Utter tosh. What's that got to do with anything. What about the 17.1m who voted Brexit. :p
You forgot "Leave won, gerroverit" but otherwise not bad.

Still, at least there will be work for Portaloo installers on the M20. Has Boris worked out which of his party donors is getting that one yet?

Some of those SNP seats were taken off the Tories, and the other seats were traditional SNP seats or taken more recently taken off Labour.
The SNP are just as anti-Tory as Labour (perhaps more so), so the anti-Tory forces in parliament are enhanced.
I know that, Colin.

Fall back on the thick as mince nonsense if that’s what you need.

As I’ve told you before, don’t blame the SNP for Labours failings. Look at Labours failures in England for their current predicament. Can’t imagine why you are complaining tbh. I thought you viewed referendum and election results as sacrosanct and anyone who complains about the result is a moaner. Does that make you hard-Labour?
If you’ve told me before I missed it among the keyboard warrior stuff in your posts, but I am not blaming the SNP for Labours failings.

Nothing you wrote there answers the question. How does Labour losing 40 seats in Scotland help them win a GE and dislodge the tories?

I think I preferred it when Brian pretended to ignore me.

No, not really, though there’s been precious little in your output to challenge it.
There has, actually. Being kind, you just don’t understand it.:rolleyes:

Before the remainer clearances last December Hilary Ben would as regular as clockwork get up and do a remainer speech, the first couple of times it was worth listening too but after a while there was nothing new and the speeches lost their effect. The SNP are heading down that road which is fine as long as they deliver on their devolved responsibilities and their supporters continue to want independence. When the covid money runs out there are hard times ahead and nobody to blame but the SNP when the council tax is increased.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back